Author Topic: What teams are going in the "wrong" direction that are ready to blow it up?  (Read 7636 times)

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
What teams are going in the "wrong" direction that are ready to blow it up and what deals could we make with them?

Knicks: Top 3 pick plus Bass and filler for Melo?

Pistons: Top 3 pick for Drummond?

Nuggets: #18 pick and filler for Javale McGee

Memphis (if they miss playoffs...cheap owners, aging team): Top 3 pick plus Olynyk and filler for Marc Gasol?

I think there's a strong likelihood that Danny is patiently storing his assets and waiting for a panic move from one of these types of teams. That move may come this summer or next, but I think it's far more likely that he rebuilds in this way than through the draft, long term.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
What teams are going in the "wrong" direction that are ready to blow it up and what deals could we make with them?

Knicks: Top 3 pick plus Bass and filler for Melo?

Pistons: Top 3 pick for Drummond?

Nuggets: #18 pick and filler for Javale McGee

Memphis (if they miss playoffs...cheap owners, aging team): Top 3 pick plus Olynyk and filler for Marc Gasol?

I think there's a strong likelihood that Danny is patiently storing his assets and waiting for a panic move from one of these types of teams. That move may come this summer or next, but I think it's far more likely that he rebuilds in this way than through the draft, long term.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Melo ain't coming to Boston unless we get another star, like KG with Ray.  If there's a team that panics, it would most likely be one that Ainge fleeces in a Rondo trade.  Like if Golden State gets knocked out in the first round, they offer up Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, a couple of first rounders and agree to a deal where they get Gerald Wallace and Boston gets expiring contracts.

Mike

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
These are common threads on this forum so I think this needs to be reiterated vigorously:

DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND. DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND.

JAVALE MCGEE HAS A TOXIC CONTRACT AND HE'S NOT VERY GOOD.  JAVALE MCGEE HAS A TOXIC CONTRACT AND HE'S NOT VERY GOOD.  JAVALE MCGEE HAS A TOXIC CONTRACT AND HE'S NOT VERY GOOD.

As for the Melo thing . . . eh.  I think he'll stay in New York now that Phil is running things.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
the only one of those scenarios that interests me at all is obtaining drummond. 

Youre dreaming if you think Golden State would give up that much for Rondo AND having to take on Gerald Wallace.  We'd be lucky to get Klay Thompson in that scenario. (I know, the other guy said this)

We could all drive ourselves crazy with all these scenarios, we should just wait until the lottery and see what pick we get and go from there.  It's starting to looking pretty unlikely we'll have a top 3 pick anyway.
Greg

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
These are common threads on this forum so I think this needs to be reiterated vigorously:

DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND. DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US ANDRE DRUMMOND.

So are you saying that they're definitely keeping all three of Drummond/Monroe/Smith, or that you know which one of them is being traded? If so, who is it? Because when I was watching one of the Celts Pistons games one of the announcers was talking about hearing rumblings that Detroit might be looking to move him. He's a good player, but I don't think he's really the player his stats would lead you to believe.

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So are you saying that they're definitely keeping all three of Drummond/Monroe/Smith, or that you know which one of them is being traded? If so, who is it? Because when I was watching one of the Celts Pistons games one of the announcers was talking about hearing rumblings that Detroit might be looking to move him. He's a good player, but I don't think he's really the player his stats would lead you to believe.
I am also not sure if Drummond is that good(as in potential all-star) but I would tend to agree that Detroit is not likely to trade him since decent big men are so hard to obtain. If the C's had two promising young big men like Drummond and Monroe alongside a really good vet like Smith, I'm not sure I would want to change that.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

They'll look to move Monroe first.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So are you saying that they're definitely keeping all three of Drummond/Monroe/Smith, or that you know which one of them is being traded?

I know it's not going to be Drummond.  A move that stupid might be in play if it weren't for Dumars resigning.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Nah, they'll easily look to move Smith first.  Failing that, they'll probably move Monroe instead of having all that money tied up in both Smith and Monroe, knowing Drummond will have to be paid soon.

Also, Andre Drummond is literally only 20 years old and just in his second year in the league.  There is no logical reason "Detroit should blow it up" and "trade Andre Drummond" should ever, ever, ever, ever be used in the same sentence.

ib "Detroit should blow it up, but they should not trade Andre Drummond"

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
One of those three has to go (Smith, Drummond and Monroe). Monroe is the obvious choice, but his agent has said multiple times that they're not resigning for anything less than $15 mil (which is a bit much IMO). I think he and his agent's stance makes it a little more difficult to move Monroe for what they'd want to get in return. They need a SF badly, so I could see them coming off of Monroe for Jeff Green and a future 1st.

However, if they can't get anything close to what they want from Monroe, they could always keep him and auction off Drummond the whoever offers the best package. I'm sure they'd rather part with Monroe over Drummond, but it may be in the franchise's best interests to go the other way. In all likelihood, you're getting a much better return for dealing Drummond over Monroe.

And of course, Smith... not a moveable contract there.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Nah, they'll easily look to move Smith first.  Failing that, they'll probably move Monroe instead of having all that money tied up in both Smith and Monroe, knowing Drummond will have to be paid soon.

Also, Andre Drummond is literally only 20 years old and just in his second year in the league.  There is no logical reason "Detroit should blow it up" and "trade Andre Drummond" should ever, ever, ever, ever be used in the same sentence.

You're right, they'll look to move Smith. But no one's going to take him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

never say never. Jordan is still a Gm right?

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

never say never. Jordan is still a Gm right?

He is ONLY an owner.  Cho is the GM and is decent.

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
There is one Javale McGee trade I'd think about. If rim protector options A, B, C, D, and E all fall through, if Denver would take Wallace for McGee to get out from under the last year of his contact I'd think about it. Still would probably opt for no because, as was mentioned earlier, he's pretty terrible and I can't see him being disciplined enough for the C's defense, but he is tall and can block shots and that doesn't grow on trees.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In terms of "available stars"... Rondo is probably towards the top of the list.

We'll see what happens, though.