Author Topic: Prepare for Gordon, Vonleh, or Smart  (Read 43226 times)

Prepare for Gordon, Vonleh, or Smart
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just do yourself a favor and start to think about one of these guys as the next Celtic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7aj8YcwbY 

(Marion / Kirilenko 2.0?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBQ-Wn_R9S4

(Bosh-esque?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ONCx-9VVw

(Sorta like a bigger, far more talented Avery Bradley)

The idea here isn't that the Celtics are DEFINITELY not getting a top 3 pick or anything like that.  But try to get excited about the players you know will be there when the Celtics are picking.  A top 3 pick is gravy.

Doing so might help you not get so worked up about what happens over the last 2 games of the season.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:07:27 AM by PhoSita »
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Prepare for Gordon, Vonleh, or Smart
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Hold on let's not give up yet, there's still a chance that they could be on the top three. Though it is safe to cover all the players.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Hold on let's not give up yet, there's still a chance that they could be on the top three. Though it is safe to cover all the players.

For my own sake, I'm focusing on guys the Celtics would probably take in the 5-8 range.  Top 3 would be awesome, but I'm not gonna think about it too much.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Which is why I said it's best to keep every player covered. I personally think Ainge will most likely trade the pick, if it falls 5 or lower.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I personally think Ainge will most likely trade the pick, if it falls 5 or lower.

A popular theory.  Personally, I doubt that there is going to be a trade available for a pick in the 5-10 range that will be worth it.  My guess is the T-Wolves hold onto Love unless somebody offers them a top 3 pick, and I wouldn't want to see Ainge trade our top pick unless it's for a player of that caliber.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I personally think Ainge will most likely trade the pick, if it falls 5 or lower.

A popular theory.  Personally, I doubt that there is going to be a trade available for a pick in the 5-10 range that will be worth it.  My guess is the T-Wolves hold onto Love unless somebody offers them a top 3 pick, and I wouldn't want to see Ainge trade our top pick unless it's for a player of that caliber.

I don't think is going to be for Love. The Timberwolves want to do everything in their power to keep him. It's probably for a borderline star.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't think is going to be for Love. The Timberwolves want to do everything in their power to keep him. It's probably for a borderline star.

I've now made a thread specifically to address this question.  I get a lot of vague responses when I press people on it.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Fireworks this summer you say Wyc? I am thoroughly prepared for some duds this sucks
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If we draft Smart I will be very happy. Not Wiggins, Parker or Embiid happy, but still, I like him a lot.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd be pretty happy (if not super-hyped) about either those three guys.

I see Gordon as a future Dennis Rodman - super athletic swingman with great motor and the potential to be an All-Defensive first teamer in the future. 

I see Vonleh as a future Amare Stoudemire - fairly athletic big man who can score inside and out, is a strong 1-on-1 defender and rim protector, and a very good rebounder.  I don't really see the Bosh coparison because Vonleh doesn't seem to have Bosh's "don't touch me!!" softness and looks to be a much better rebounder and shotblocker.  Still, I'd be pretty happy as either an Amare or a Bosh.

I see Smart as a future Dwayne Wade. His jumpshot needs improving but he's a pretty athletic (if not super athletic) player who is tough as nails, is a natural born leader, can play either guard position, plays both ends of the court, and isn't afraid to take the big shot. 

When the your consolation prize is a Dennis Rodman, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade...I'm pretty cool with that.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I would not trade a top-4 pick in this year's draft for Kevin Love.

Love IMHO isn't a superstar, no matter how impressive his stat sheet may look.  He is far too much of a one-trick pony and has too many holes in his game to ever (IMO) become a franchise player on a contender.  He's got limited skills as an inside scorer, he takes too many jumpers, he can't defend to save his life, and he doesn't have the size, speed or strength for his position.

I don't think Love can (or ever will) carry a team deep into the playoffs.  Good player, but not good enough for me to trade a potential superstar for.

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »

Offline CelticRob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I am just going to sit back and see what Parker decides to do and then after that see how the lottery plays out. We are due some great luck in the lottery and hopefully the basketball Gods will be in our corner for a change on lottery night. If we aren't in the top 3 I will be disappointed but we should still get a good player like Gordan or Smart regardless. Hate we won last night and will beat the Cavs tonight but that is another reason for the basketball Gods to be good to us on lottery night.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I've now made a thread specifically to address this question.  I get a lot of vague responses when I press people on it.

It's a pretty vague exercise. Someone tells you player X might be available, you tell them why you think the team won't trade him, and neither of you have any idea whether you're right or not. The same thing's true about the draft. Pick any player in the draft and try and convince someone that doesn't like him that the player will probably be a franchise player and not a bust.  It won't go so well.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I am just going to sit back and see what Parker decides to do and then after that see how the lottery plays out. We are due some great luck in the lottery and hopefully the basketball Gods will be in our corner for a change on lottery night. If we aren't in the top 3 I will be disappointed but we should still get a good player like Gordan or Smart regardless. Hate we won last night and will beat the Cavs tonight but that is another reason for the basketball Gods to be good to us on lottery night.
Anybody know what is the lowest/worse draft pick that we can get--if we win out? It's looking like that's what we're going to do
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's a pretty vague exercise. Someone tells you player X might be available, you tell them why you think the team won't trade him, and neither of you have any idea whether you're right or not. The same thing's true about the draft. Pick any player in the draft and try and convince someone that doesn't like him that the player will probably be a franchise player and not a bust.  It won't go so well.

Sure.  But I see this notion get thrown around a lot around here, but I rarely see any plausible scenarios.  I'm not convinced it's as attractive or likely an option as some might think.  Teams aren't just jumping at a chance to give away All-Star caliber players for picks.
- Mark Twain