Author Topic: likely can't pick any worse than 8th and 18th  (Read 5900 times)

likely can't pick any worse than 8th and 18th
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
the lucky number 8s.

Currently we are tied for the 4th pick and if we lose the tiebreaker could end up with the 5th. If we win the next three games vs the Cavs, 76ers, Wizards and the rest of the tankers don't win another, we will be tied with Sac for to pick 7th.

The Nets pretty much have sealed the 18th place in the lotto standings, unless they win all their games and Toronto loses all of theirs (facing the Bucks 2nd last game, so highly unlikely).

IF we win 1 more game only and again the rest of the tankers never win again, we will be tied with the lakers for the 5th pick (at worse 6th pick) . We win two more with the rest of the tankers losing, we will have the 7th pick

If we draft from 5-8 the best prospects projected to be available

Smart
Gordon
Vonleh
Randle
Ennis
Anderson

For the 18th pick, unable to list all the potential prospects.  Could be a guy ranked from 9th to pick 35

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:08:34 PM by triboy16f »

Re: can't pick any worse than 8th and 18th
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If we end up winning these last games and/or the lottery doesn't go our way once again I wouldn't mind Smart..

I feel like after that point it's just a disapointment... Vonleh for example, could be great, nothing to be excited over...

It's amazing how pointless it is to win these last few games

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Celts settle at #5 and don't move the pick, I'm perfectly content with Smart as the pick. 

At #18, I'd be more included to grab another wing or possibly a big but not sure if they'll be an appealing big at #18.  And Cauley-Stein isn't appealing to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Worth noting: the Lakers play the Jazz Monday, so one of those teams is guaranteed to get a win.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Technically isn't the 10th pick still our worst case scenario? ...  We can fall to 7th in the tank rank and then 3 teams can theoretically leap frog us in the lotto

At this point I'm guessing we end up picking 6th.  I think we will win 2 of the next 3.  Philly, obviously... And then the game against the wizards since they will be resting wall. I think we stay ahead of the kings in the tank rank.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:47:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Technically isn't the 10th pick still our worst case scenario? ...  We can fall to 7th in the tank rank and then 3 teams can theoretically leap frog us in the lotto

At this point I'm guessing we end up picking 6th.  I think we will win 2 of the next 3.  Philly, obviously... And then the game against the wizards since they will be resting wall. I think we stay ahead of the kings in the tank rank.

Your right. Chances are low though that happens just like not all these tank teams win their last game or we win the lotto

Re: likely can't pick any worse than 8th and 18th
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
More importantly, the playoffs start in about a week.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
This season is an abject failure. The only person to blame is Danny Ainge. He didn't have the guts to finish blowing it up and needs to be shown the door. The Celtics need someone to run the Sixers model. Which in turn is the Thunder model. Boston needs young stars and right now no one on the roster is a star player. It's a bunch of role players being put into starting roles. Rondo on a contender is a role player, not a star. People should see that by now.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
This season is an abject failure. The only person to blame is Danny Ainge. He didn't have the guts to finish blowing it up and needs to be shown the door. The Celtics need someone to run the Sixers model. Which in turn is the Thunder model. Boston needs young stars and right now no one on the roster is a star player. It's a bunch of role players being put into starting roles. Rondo on a contender is a role player, not a star. People should see that by now.

How many titles has OKC gotten with that model so far? 2? 3?

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

They could this year. Durant is a shoe in as MVP. They always contend.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard to remember these days because the team has been getting close to the bottom the past month or so (meaning it's been easy to fantasize about getting a top 3 selection), but before the season started I felt like a top 10 pick ought to be the primary goal.  Just get in the top 10 and then make the most of it.

Now that we're guaranteed a top 10 selection, I try to remind myself to chill out and just see what comes.  The top 3 is clearly better than the rest, but there's a good chance Ainge can find an All-Star among the 5-9 crowd.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

And how soon before Philly hangs a banner???

No one is showing Ainge the door.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

And how soon before Philly hangs a banner???

No one is showing Ainge the door.

The Philly "model" has yet to produce a single dividend too unless you want to include the draft day trade from last summer and that guy hasn't played a single game yet along with this unknown draft pick of theirs from N.O.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This season is an abject failure.

You do know that we could finish with THE WORST record and still not get a top 3 pick?

The Celtics are going to end up with a bottom 5 record, in all likelihood.  Hard to see how that's an abject failure if the goal is to get a good draft pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If the Celts settle at #5 and don't move the pick, I'm perfectly content with Smart as the pick. 

At #18, I'd be more included to grab another wing or possibly a big but not sure if they'll be an appealing big at #18.  And Cauley-Stein isn't appealing to me.
Agreed.