Author Topic: My Celtics 2014 Big Board  (Read 16127 times)

Re: My Celtics 2014 Big Board
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 12:50:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't really see a pattern where teams get bad, then good, then bad again.  "Rebuilding" is more like a residence than a way station.

Mike

Eh, I think this is where the management thing comes in.  Some teams enter rebuilding, have some fits and starts where they seem to be coming out of it, but never really break free.

Rebuilding can be a bit of a tar pit in that way.

But teams that are managed well can track a trajectory out of it, given a reasonable amount of time, I think.  Luck is always a necessary element, though.

Also, there are certain teams that have an inherent advantage based on their market, their location, their brand, and the team's legacy.

As much as many fans seem to want to decry the unfair advantages that they have in Florida, New York and Southern California, we are included among the teams that have some advantage over the majority of NBA franchises.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

Minnesota is in the tightest spot of the bunch because of the worst part of Kahn's legacy: not giving Kevin Love a full contract extension a few years back.

I'd say Flynn followed by Rubio is still the worst.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

Minnesota is in the tightest spot of the bunch because of the worst part of Kahn's legacy: not giving Kevin Love a full contract extension a few years back.

I'd say Flynn followed by Rubio is still the worst.

When Steph Curry was still on the board at the time!

Definitely an awful draft. 

Still, draft mistakes are a little bit easier to dismiss, because you don't know what you're getting.  He knew Kevin Love was an elite player, and he failed to sign him to the longest possible extension.  Unforgivable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just throwin' this out there:

http://redsarmy.com/2014/04/17/your-morning-dump-where-theres-no-guarantee-were-done-suffering/

Just because we’re all poised to see a title contender on the Garden floor in the fall doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Ainge isn’t a miracle worker. He can’t force teams to trade disgruntled stars (see Love, Kevin).

Sure, the Celtics jumped from 24 wins in 2006-07 to 66 wins in 2007-08. But let’s not forget the mediocre 33 win season in 2005-06.

One year rebuilds are rare. I’ll let the legendary Bob Ryan explain:

“There have been very few instantly transformative players,” said Ryan, “Guys who took you from the twenties [wins], all of a sudden you’re winning fifty overnight. That doesn’t happen.”
If the draft can’t turn teams around instantly, how many years will the Celtics rebuild take?
“I don’t know… two years, three years.” he said, “It won’t be one year.”
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Just throwin' this out there:

http://redsarmy.com/2014/04/17/your-morning-dump-where-theres-no-guarantee-were-done-suffering/

Just because we’re all poised to see a title contender on the Garden floor in the fall doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Ainge isn’t a miracle worker. He can’t force teams to trade disgruntled stars (see Love, Kevin).

Sure, the Celtics jumped from 24 wins in 2006-07 to 66 wins in 2007-08. But let’s not forget the mediocre 33 win season in 2005-06.

One year rebuilds are rare. I’ll let the legendary Bob Ryan explain:

“There have been very few instantly transformative players,” said Ryan, “Guys who took you from the twenties [wins], all of a sudden you’re winning fifty overnight. That doesn’t happen.”
If the draft can’t turn teams around instantly, how many years will the Celtics rebuild take?
“I don’t know… two years, three years.” he said, “It won’t be one year.”
just to 'pile on' what's in the  'your morning dump' article  ;D

getting that superstar/all-star is by no means a guarantee the team turns it around.  Prime example -- Knicks trading for Melo.  How's that panned out for them?  not as well as they anticipated and now there's concerns he's going to bolt for greener pastures when he can.  how about their deal for Amare?  Bust on that one. 

How about LA getting DH?  another prime example of trading for that top level talent not panning out.  left LA high and dry too (which was sweet).

another example.  Brooklyn trading for KG and PP.  hasn't panned out like they anticipated while they mortgaged their future trying to contend.  granted these are older players than Melo and DH but another example where it didn't work.  Add in the trade for Deron too for that matter.  Didn't work out as well as they planned in that deal either.

Clips going for CP3?  sure, made them a better team.  Still haven't won anything yet after several years.

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Sure, Ryan and Pho are probably right.  It's not likely that we'll be completely rebuilt into a title contender by next year.

I don't actually think there are many of us thinking that's the case.  What we would like to see, though, is the team start moving in a more positive direction towards that goal. 

Spending another year playing for ping pong balls may not be the most positive step in that direction. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
update 4/21/14

dropped Harrell and WCS from list. Also moved Capela from #8 to #23

I am going to keep a running big board throughout the draft process to predict the Cs big board. Ill just go up to #20. I will update my predictions as info comes in (player declare, combine, workouts etc)

Tier 1
1.  Wiggins
2.  Embiid
3.  Exum
4.  Parker

Tier 2
5.  Smart
6.  Randle

Tier 3
7.  Vonleh
8.   Nurkic
9. Gordon
10. Saric
11. McDermott

Tier 4
12.  Harris
13. Ennis
14. Stauskas

Tier 5
15. Hood
16. Warren
17. Anderson
18. LaVine
19. J Young

Tier 6
20. Payne
21. Grant
22. Hairston
23.Capela dropped from 8 post hoops summit he is very raw
24.  K.J McDaniels
25. Bogdanovic

This is not the order I expect the draft to go but rather how I could see the Cs ranking prospects. I loosely used team need to differentiate prospects in the same tier.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Is there anything more you can say about Capela? I have seen nothing on him but highlights.

Edit. I just caught the hoops summit game. Capela looks like Chris Wilcox 2.0. He is not a center. I still rank him in the 15-25 range.

With WCS staying in school there are very few good big men in this draft.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:41:49 PM by Mr October »

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I think ppl are overlooking Julius Randle...in college he was triple team almost everytime..in the pros, that wont happen..I see some ppl having him 7 or higher, I think that's too low..he needs some work but in 3-4 years he could be great
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Based on his past predilictions, pretty sure Ainge has Gordon ranked higher than Randle.

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Based on his past predilictions, pretty sure Ainge has Gordon ranked higher than Randle.

I have those 2 ranked 5a and 5b. Hard to pick between them, yet as time passes i lean more towards Gordon. If the Celtics pick 6th I would take whoever is left between those 2.

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
update 5/15 post measurements

I am going to keep a running big board throughout the draft process to predict the Cs big board. Ill just go up to #20. I will update my predictions as info comes in (player declare, combine, workouts etc)

Tier 1
1.  Wiggins
2.  Embiid
3.  Exum
4.  Parker

Tier 2
5.  Smart
6.  Randle
7.  Vonleh moved to tier 2 with measurements

Tier 3
8.   Nurkic
9.   Gordon
10. Saric
11. McDermott

Tier 4
12.  Stauskas moved up after measurements
13. Ennis
14. J Young jumped up from 19 after great measurements

Tier 5
15. Hood
16. Warren
17. Anderson
18. LaVine
19. Payne jumped to tier 5 and place 19 from 21 after measurements
20. Harris dropped from 12 after measuring an 8' reach

Tier 6
21. Grant
22. Hairston
24.  K.J McDaniels
25. Daniels cracked my top 25 with great measurements projects as great 3-D wing

This is not the order I expect the draft to go but rather how I could see the Cs ranking prospects. I loosely used team need to differentiate prospects in the same tier.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Wish we had a couple 2nd rounders this year too . . .. maybe Danny can swing a trade to get at least one. 2nd round is loaded.

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Here's mine:

Love
Melo
Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kyrie Irving
Chris Bosh
Marcin Gortat
Luol Deng
Aaron Afflalo
Omer Asik

Good list.

The rest of this stuff bores me once you get past Wiggins, Embiid and Parker.

When your team is putrid, as ours is, you need game-changers - not projects.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
update 5/15 post measurements

Tier 1
1.  Wiggins
2.  Embiid
3.  Exum
4.  Parker

Tier 2
5.  Smart
6.  Randle
7.  Vonleh moved to tier 2 with measurements

Tier 3
8.   Nurkic
9.   Gordon
10. Saric
11. McDermott

Tier 4
12.  Stauskas moved up after measurements
13. Ennis
14. J Young jumped up from 19 after great measurements

Tier 5
15. Hood
16. Warren
17. Anderson
18. LaVine
19. Payne jumped to tier 5 and place 19 from 21 after measurements
20. Harris dropped from 12 after measuring an 8' reach

Tier 6
21. Grant
22. Hairston
24.  K.J McDaniels
25. Daniels cracked my top 25 with great measurements projects as great 3-D wing

I would bump Gordon up into tier 2. And then i would combine tier 3 and 4. I dont see a lot of seperation among those 2 groups.

Other than that i like the list for the most part.