Author Topic: My Celtics 2014 Big Board  (Read 16183 times)

Re: My Celtics 2014 Big Board
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Here's mine:

Love
Melo
Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kyrie Irving
Chris Bosh
Marcin Gortat
Luol Deng
Aaron Afflalo
Omer Asik

?????????

I'm guessing he wants to use our first rounder to land one of those guys, which I could see Danny doing, but I am against.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Yah no way. Love, Aldridge, Gasol... maybe. But not a top 3, if we were to get one.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Here's mine:

Love
Melo
Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kyrie Irving
Chris Bosh
Marcin Gortat
Luol Deng
Aaron Afflalo
Omer Asik

?????????

I'm guessing he wants to use our first rounder to land one of those guys, which I could see Danny doing, but I am against.

The first 6 are okay with me - kind of falls off a cliff after that. It really depends on what pick we get, what other pieces would be involved in a trade, and what direction we plan to take this offseason.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Here's mine:

Love
Melo
Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kyrie Irving
Chris Bosh
Marcin Gortat
Luol Deng
Aaron Afflalo
Omer Asik

?????????

Say it with me now:

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

I know being a fan of a losing team with a mess of a roster sucks, but it is what it is.  The process of rebuilding the right way requires time and patience.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Didn't Cauley-Stein already announce that he's staying in school for another year? I see him on most of the posted Big Boards here.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Didn't Cauley-Stein already announce that he's staying in school for another year? I see him on most of the posted Big Boards here.

Yeah.  Must have been worried about falling out of the 1st round.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Here's mine:

Love
Melo
Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kyrie Irving
Chris Bosh
Marcin Gortat
Luol Deng
Aaron Afflalo
Omer Asik

?????????

Say it with me now:

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

There is no quick fix.

I know being a fan of a losing team with a mess of a roster sucks, but it is what it is.  The process of rebuilding the right way requires time and patience.

Quite often in recent NBA history there has actually been a "a quick fix." 

I don't get the "it is what it is" sentiment.  If Danny is presented with opportunities to improve in both the short and long term, he should take them. 

There's no need to just resign yourself to the idea that we are necessarily going to suck for a long time. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
(1) Wiggins
(2) Parker
(3) Embiid
(4) Exum
(5) Vonleh
(6) Smart
(7) Randle

Im really down on Randle, hope the C's dont draft him. If we are picking 5-7 I'd prefer Vonleh because at least he could play center.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Quite often in recent NBA history there has actually been a "a quick fix." 

I don't get the "it is what it is" sentiment.  If Danny is presented with opportunities to improve in both the short and long term, he should take them. 

There's no need to just resign yourself to the idea that we are necessarily going to suck for a long time.

There may be a quick fix that will present itself.  However, it doesn't make sense to expect one to, or to plan for it.  The vast majority of teams that enter a rebuilding phase spend at least a few years in that rebuilding phase.  Most teams never find that "quick fix."  More often than not, the attempt to find that "fix" ends up putting you in the position Detroit has been in -- multiple times -- over the past 6 years.

Most will point to the summer of 2007; however, that was, first of all, a remarkable and unique set of circumstances and, second of all, the result of multiple years of positioning for a change.

I don't see a KG available out there.  I'm not even sure there's a Ray Allen available out there.

It's possible that Danny will pull a rabbit out of a hat, seemingly, but I think the odds are that we're looking at at least another year or two of watching a fairly young and inexperienced team cut its teeth against more talented and more experienced opponents.  That's the circle of life in the NBA.

Now, as to the "suck for a very long time" thing, I guess that's a matter of perspective.  Personally, I don't view being in rebuilding for a few years as "a very long time," and as long as there are exciting young players to watch develop and grow together (there are already a couple on the team), I'm okay with it.  In my view, "a very long time" would be 5+ years.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

There may be a quick fix that will present itself. However, it doesn't make sense to expect one to, or to plan for it.  The vast majority of teams that enter a rebuilding phase spend at least a few years in that rebuilding phase.  Most teams never find that "quick fix."  More often than not, the attempt to find that "fix" ends up putting you in the position Detroit has been in -- multiple times -- over the past 6 years.

Is it okay to talk about ones we'd like if they became available?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

There may be a quick fix that will present itself. However, it doesn't make sense to expect one to, or to plan for it.  The vast majority of teams that enter a rebuilding phase spend at least a few years in that rebuilding phase.  Most teams never find that "quick fix."  More often than not, the attempt to find that "fix" ends up putting you in the position Detroit has been in -- multiple times -- over the past 6 years.

Sure it's okay.  Nobody can stop you.  It's just that recently I've noticed a prevalence of this attitude / belief that Danny's top priority is to leverage our assets NOW to become relevant again ASAP.  Hand in hand with that is the implication that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" i.e. let's get experienced, established players we know are good, forget about waiting for these young guys to pan out.  I think both those notions are way off the mark.

Of course I think Danny is always keeping his options open.  Flexibility is the name of the game, as Paul Flannery wrote in the last couple of days.  Danny will pounce on an opportunity if one presents itself.  But opportunities like what happened in 2007 are exceedingly rare.

Sometimes I think there are realistic ideas behind it.  More often than not, I think it comes from a desire for that quick fix, an understandable impatience with this whole rebuilding thing.  And maybe a touch of entitlement -- i.e. our franchise is too good to spend multiple years at the bottom of the standings and out of the limelight (the 90s notwithstanding).

As for developing young players, yeah it takes time, it's often frustrating, and sometimes it doesn't work out.  Sometimes you do get more value by trading the prospect for the established player.  Again, the KG trade is a great example of that paying off immensely.  But for every trade like that, there's a Joe Johnson for Tony Delk trade.  Or Billups for Kenny Anderson. 

In other words, there's a good chance that when you cash in right now, the immediate return is less than what you'd have gotten over time.  That's why the immediate cash-in is even available.  Teams value these high picks so much because they actually have intrinsic value. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:13:10 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Sure it's okay.  Nobody can stop you.  It's just that recently I've noticed a prevalence of this attitude / belief that Danny's top priority is to leverage our assets NOW to become relevant again ASAP.  I don't think that is the case at all.  Of course I think Danny is always keeping his options open.  Flexibility is the name of the game, as Paul Flannery wrote in the last couple of days.  Danny will pounce on an opportunity if one presents itself.  But opportunities like what happened in 2007 are exceedingly rare.

Sometimes I think there are realistic ideas behind it.  More often than not, I think it comes from a desire for that quick fix, an understandable impatience with this whole rebuilding thing.  And maybe a touch of entitlement -- i.e. our franchise is too good to spend multiple years at the bottom of the standings and out of the limelight (the 90s notwithstanding).

I'm not even exactly sure what you mean when you say that it takes time to rebuild a contender.  If you are saying that we need multiple years in the lottery, I would disagree with that.

If you are saying that you don't think it's likely that we'll be contending for an NBA championship by next season, I'd probably agree with that. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
+TP, Pho.  I very much agree with what you are saying. 

If there is some sort of opportunistic trade that presents itself this offseason, I hope Danny pursues it hard, however, I think the much more likely scenario will be to draft more young players, and develop them along with those we already have while trying to maintain a flexible cap for future moves.

I'm very optimistic about the young guys we currently have (Olynyk, Sully, and to a lesser extent AB) but when I look at other teams in the NBA - not even legit title contenders, but teams like Golden St, Portland, Chicago, Washington, New Orleans, to name a few, they have a lot more talent than we do that they'll be able to continue to grow and improve with.  IMO, we need to continue to acquire and develop more talent into NBA caliber players, and then worry about making those chips along with future picks into a properly shaped title contender.

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »

Offline Smittymks

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
1. Parker
2. Wiggins
3. Embiid
4. Exum
5. Smart
6. Randle
7. Gordon
8. Saric
9. Ennius
10. McDermott
"My favorite ring? The next one"
TB12

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'm reluctant to post my big board for fear that fellow DKC GMs will read it and undermine me come draft time...
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards