Author Topic: Rank the NBA draft prospects 10-20 (or 25)  (Read 3748 times)

Rank the NBA draft prospects 10-20 (or 25)
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
A couple weeks ago i started a thread to rank the top 10 players in the draft. Now i would like to get an idea of how everyone would rank the next 10-15 players.

I have a very hard time separating this next group. The mocks are all over the map. All these players bring something valuable to the table, and carry flaws with them.

Assume these 9 players are off the board: Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum, Randle, Vonleh, Smart, Gordon, Ennis (based on the averages from that top 10 thread).

This will be super unscientific since none of us have probably seen all these guys play, but it should make for some interesting debate.

Re: Rank the NBA draft prospects 10-20 (or 25)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I feel like any of these guys could slide up or down 5 spots.

10. Hood - great size for a 3 and D guy. Often the focal point over Parker on offense.
11. Harris - all around game is there. If he were 6-6 he might be a top 6 prospect
12. Young - inconsistent, but really skilled, great size on the wing
13. Saric *
14. Stauskas - poor man's Reggie Miller
15. Cauley-Stein - inconsistent. Mobile and athletic. On a bad box score can still impact on defense.
16. Capela *
17. McDermott - Wally Szczerbiak 2.0
18. Warren - crafty scorer. Does he have the speed and athleticism to do it against the pros?
19. Hairston *
20. Payton - looks similar to a young Rondo. No idea if he is as competitive and crafty as Rondo.
21. Nurkic *
22. Anderson - his lack of speed scares me. But the rest of his game is amazing. Great feel.
23. Lavine - opposite of Anderson. Super fast. Poor feel. Both can shoot well.
24. Napier - a stud of a scorer. He would be a great instant offense backup guard.
25. McDaniels *

*i haven't seen these 5 guys' games and can only base a rank on highlights and other mocks. I feel much stronger about my ranks of the other players.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:33:07 AM by Mr October »

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Players i don't like in the top 20 or so are undersized power forwards: Grant, Harrell. I think Early is a poor man's Jeff Green and a nice pick around 30. Payne is too slow to crack the top 20.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Saric is declaring for this draft last I read on the news, but who knows.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I don't think Saric is declaring for this draft last I read on the news, but who knows.

And even if he does declare i think a team will have to wait a couple years to get him.

If a bunch of the above players stay in school, this draft could get dicey around the 18th pick. Right now i feel really good about grabbing a nice wing player there.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Early, Payne, Grant, Harrell and a Harrison twin or two are probably in that mix, and maybe also another Euro like Hezonja or Bogdanovic. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Early, Payne, Grant, Harrell and a Harrison twin or two are probably in that mix, and maybe also another Euro like Hezonja or Bogdanovic.

Despite the clutch shots in the tourney, neither Harrison twins have impressed me all season long. They dominated at the high school level because they were bigger and stronger than their competition. They've been exposed at the college level though. They were embarrassed by stronger and quicker guards like Napier and Boatright in the championship game. They could benefit from staying another year or two. They just don't look like NBA talents right now.

they have great size for guards, though. But what do I know, their game might be better suited for the NBA.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I have no idea where to rank the 2 euro guards without having watched any games.

As for the Harrisons, i think Andrew needs a lot more time to figure out what his game is. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well. But Aaron at least has a nice 3 and D game. I would pick Aaron in the first round.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I have a really hard time slotting Saric (if he's in the draft), Capela and Nurkic since I know so little about them.  Seems to me that it would make sense that Phoenix takes at least one of them with 3 1sts in the their pocket, unless they trade up.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My ranking would be something like:

10. McDermott
11. Stauskas
12. Capela
13. Nurkic
14. Harris
15. Young
16. Warren
17. WCS
18. Anderson
19. McDaniels
20. Harrell

Assuming Saric doesn't declare.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
10. Hood - great size for a 3 and D guy. Often the focal point over Parker on offense.

I always thought, when Hood was dominating the ball, it was because the other team was keying too much on Parker.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
10. Anderson
11. Stauskus
12. Young
13. Harris
14. Nurkic
15. Capela
16. Early
17. Warren
18. Mcdermott
19. WCS
20. Napier
21. Jabari Brown
22. Hood
23. Payton
24. Mcdaniel
25. Harrell

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

I always thought, when Hood was dominating the ball, it was because the other team was keying too much on Parker.

I will be really curious to see how Hood does without Parker. Although, even though Parker is a bigtime scorer, i was surprised to see how often Parker was off to the side in the half court, with Hood being given the prime scorer area above the free throw line.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
TPs for Phosita and Triboy for their lists.

It looks like we are roughly on the same page here, with the biggest debate being McDermott and Anderson. I worry about their inability to play defense, and for me that keeps them out of the lottery.

It's interesting that Stauskas has shot up everyone's board. For most of the season i was hoping the celtics could grab him at 18' but now i think there is no way he will be available at 18. I actually wonder if he is worth trading down for, if the Celtics first pick is around 6 or 7.

*edit. And you guys dont like Hood enough to out him in your top 20. How come you don't like him?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:12:06 PM by Mr October »

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I will be really curious to see how Hood does without Parker. Although, even though Parker is a bigtime scorer, i was surprised to see how often Parker was off to the side in the half court, with Hood being given the prime scorer area above the free throw line.

Yeah, I mean, I watched probably 7 or 8 Duke games this year, but really only 3 from start to finish closely. My head says that Parker is also pulling double duty as a 'can't leave em' decoy still maintaining a good part of the defense's attention, but my eye test didn't really back that up convincingly. Sometimes, I think you're right, they just let Hood ball.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner