Author Topic: Idea: Sully for Timo Mozgov  (Read 7969 times)

Re: Idea: Sully for Timo Mozgov
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Insane or not?

Mozgov is and definitely very underrated... But the value of Sullinger is 4x more greater in value, regardless of his back injuries. Mozgov is 27, and still looks like he struggles on offense. Sullinger looks like a promising young player, who despite his back issues, looks like one of our most prized asset... So why trade it away for a Center that was struggling to find time?

I agree.  To me, Mozgov is the sort of player that isn't hard to acquire in free agency.  He's a decent player, but it doesn't make sense to give up significant assets for him.  You only go out of your way to acquire a player like that if you think he has a lot of upside given a change of scenery and coaching philosophy.

I don't think that's in play with Mozgov.  He's a borderline starter and a capable backup.  He doesn't have any skills that really stand out.  He's a 7 foot, 250 lb body with some basketball skills.  Period.

Sullinger is young, and though he plays a position that is very well stocked on this team, he is not the sort of player that is easy to acquire.  He may or may not be a long term fixture for this team, but it doesn't make sense to give him up unless it's part of a deal that gets us a likely long term fixture in return.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Wasn't there a guy who was kind of obsessed with Mozgov?

He was pretty cool. Wish he were still here.

Are you that guy in disguise?

I think I might be turning into that guy.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 01:06:02 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you want to talk about a center who might not cost us, oh I don't know, the second best player currently on our team, but who might work as a decent defensive starter, how about Bismack Biyombo?

I'm keen on the idea of exploring a Jeff Green trade with Charlotte in hopes to pry Kidd-Gilchrist and Bismack from them.  Word on the street is that they're down on MKG, and while Bismack still looks lost offensively, I think he could morph into a decent backup C.  The world needs Shaquille O'Neals. but it also needs Duane Causwells too.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 01:18:54 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

Sullinger is young, and though he plays a position that is very well stocked on this team, he is not the sort of player that is easy to acquire.  He may or may not be a long term fixture for this team, but it doesn't make sense to give him up unless it's part of a deal that gets us a likely long term fixture in return.

Agreed. 

And I'm of the belief that we are in the midst of a rebuilding project, so IMO it would be silly to give up Sullinger for as lesser prosepect, even if that prospect may fit the roster better at this time.  My guess is this roster is going to look radically different by 2016, so roster fit shouldn't be a big priority.  And as for the center spot, I've got a hunch that we will be aiming at the 2015 draft for our long-term center needs.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:30 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not averse to Bismack Biyombo.  I don't think he'll be all that cheap either. 

But, if we can get him at a lesser cost than Sully, I'm all in.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 01:27:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you want to talk about a center who might not cost us, oh I don't know, the second best player currently on our team, but who might work as a decent defensive starter, how about Bismack Biyombo?

I'm keen on the idea of exploring a Jeff Green trade with Charlotte in hopes to pry Kidd-Gilchrist and Bismack from them.  Word on the street is that they're down on MKG, and while Bismack still looks lost offensively, I think he could morph into a decent backup C.  The world needs Shaquille O'Neals. but it also needs Duane Causwells too.

I'm totally on board with Green for MKG + Biyombo.

(that's not to suggest Charlotte would be)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 01:30:57 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

I'm totally on board with Green for MKG + Biyombo.

(that's not to suggest Charlotte would be)

Yeah, a lot of it would depend how down they are on MKG.  We may need to sweeten the pot by taking back a bad contract.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 01:33:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wasn't there a guy who was kind of obsessed with Mozgov?

He was pretty cool. Wish he were still here.

Are you that guy in disguise?

Krook!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm all for Mosgov, but we really can get better value from trading Sullinger, if at all we are to trade Sullinger, which I would be upset about.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:49 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Mozgov, Jan Vesely and Arthur for Green and Bogans both works in the trade machine and would save us $3m, but it gives us the best player in the deal and saves us a ton of money so it's never going to happen.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 06:00:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not mind seeing Sully go, he is a horrible rim protector and seems to think he is Kyle Korver at times and loves missing big shots at the end of games.  Every draft there is a guy like him who is undersized but bangs and boards in the mid 15-20's.   That being said, he is not chopped liver but I think he ceiling is finite and he is already near his peak.    Even given that he has played all season good minutes he still is a hefty lad who shows no desire to be quicker or jump higher.   I think if he can't stay in shape exercising all the time how will he do it in the off season.   Shooting threes is really not exercise folks.   I would love to see him get a nutritionist and increase his strength and lower his body fat.  He is a good player with limitations due to his body type.

I think if we can get value for him, we could trade him but that is true of anyone on the team.  The key is value and I would not do it for cash.   Boston has never been a free agent mecca, period.  Having all that cash will not help us if no one comes here.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:43 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I would not mind seeing Sully go, he is a horrible rim protector and seems to think he is Kyle Korver at times and loves missing big shots at the end of games.  Every draft there is a guy like him who is undersized but bangs and boards in the mid 15-20's.   That being said, he is not chopped liver but I think he ceiling is finite and he is already near his peak.    Even given that he has played all season good minutes he still is a hefty lad who shows no desire to be quicker or jump higher.   I think if he can't stay in shape exercising all the time how will he do it in the off season.   Shooting threes is really not exercise folks.   I would love to see him get a nutritionist and increase his strength and lower his body fat.  He is a good player with limitations due to his body type.

I think if we can get value for him, we could trade him but that is true of anyone on the team.  The key is value and I would not do it for cash.   Boston has never been a free agent mecca, period.  Having all that cash will not help us if no one comes here.

Yep. Sully to me has "AlJeff" written all over him. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, because he's obviously not, but I see some picks wrapped around him for an upgrade, and that upgrade is most likely a center.

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:46:21 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Denver would probably rather dump McGee and his contract over Mozgov.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure, but why would anyone take McGee at this point?

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 07:26:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

So they are looking for a bail out.

The Celtics could probably offer them Wallace and Denver would think about it.