Author Topic: Idea: Sully for Timo Mozgov  (Read 7967 times)

Idea: Sully for Timo Mozgov
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Insane or not?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Idea: Sully for Timo Mozgov
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Insane.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why would you want to do that?

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
'Cause we need a center, and I think he's a fairly good one.  We keep both our draft picks and use them to upgrade on the wings. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm all for getting Mozgov - he's one of my favorite low budget options to play center for us next year.  The key term is "low budget" though.  If he can't be had relatively cheap, then I don't want him. 

I would classify Sully as an expensive price tag, so no I would not be in favor of this.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wasn't there a guy who was kind of obsessed with Mozgov?

He was pretty cool. Wish he were still here.

Are you that guy in disguise?

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
Not to mention, I don't know that Denver would have much interest in this.  They Faried, Hickson, and Arthur at the PF spot already so I don't think it makes them much better.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Fair points, Homer,

It's definitely still a deal I wouldn't hate, though.  The big Russian is finally getting some minutes this year, and he's making very good use of them.

I think he might be a legitimate starting center in the league.  He looks skinny (because he is), but he appears to be very wiry strong.  He looks slow and goofy (because he is), but he appears to be able to move the feet and use his long arms well to cover the middle.

Big name centers are hard to come by.  They come a lot more expensive than Jared Sullinger.  This might be the kind of risk worth taking. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
I would not be sad if Mozgov was the starting C for the C's next year. I'd just wish that we could find a way to keep Sully in the process.  Okafor and Mozgov are two guys I hope are on Danny's radar though.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:28:50 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
Denver also has a pretty ugly long term cap situation, so maybe that could help us acquire him.  Bogans plus conditional pick?

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Wasn't there a guy who was kind of obsessed with Mozgov?

He was pretty cool. Wish he were still here.

Are you that guy in disguise?

If I remember correctly, not the same pattern of capitalization in posts.

Denver has always had regular season success by having a deep bench that allows them to take advantage of the high altitude (which leads to them under-performing their regular-season record come playoff time).  They're going to want to keep two solid centers on their team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

. . . . .

Why trade a player like Sullinger just to get a borderline starter at center?  Yeah, we desperately need a center.  But I'd rather do something like what Phoenix did with Miles Plumlee -- i.e. give up very little to acquire a guy who has played a backup role and who may have the ability to be a decent starter.  Or you could acquire a guy like that who is a RFA by backloading a contract, like Houston did with Asik.

I believe Jordan Hill is a RFA this summer.  We might be able to poach him from the Lakers if they are really serious about saving cap space.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:41:10 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I would not be sad if Mozgov was the starting C for the C's next year. I'd just wish that we could find a way to keep Sully in the process.  Okafor and Mozgov are two guys I hope are on Danny's radar though.

Sure, cheaper than Sully would be great.  What do we have that's cheaper than Sully that would get him, though?  The number 18 pick?

And, to be clear, I consider Kelly Olynyk more valuable than Jared Sullinger long term, but less valuable short-term.  That's why I think this off-season might be the time to include Sully in a move for a real center. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you want to talk about a center who might not cost us, oh I don't know, the second best player currently on our team, but who might work as a decent defensive starter, how about Bismack Biyombo?  He's stuck behind Al Jefferson for the foreseeable future, so he might not cost that much in a trade. 

He doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he rebounds and blocks shots.  Plus, plenty of upside still.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Insane or not?

Mozgov is and definitely very underrated... But the value of Sullinger is 4x more greater in value, regardless of his back injuries. Mozgov is 27, and still looks like he struggles on offense. Sullinger looks like a promising young player, who despite his back issues, looks like one of our most prized asset... So why trade it away for a Center that was struggling to find time?

I think Sully can be a 3x-4x Allstar if he can keep up his production, and possibly improve his 3pt shooting to make him more deadlier.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different