Author Topic: CBA question  (Read 1209 times)

CBA question
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Could someone with knowledge of the CBA help me out with something?  I see a lot of trade ideas thrown around that include sign 'n' trades, but I was under the impression that the new CBA really restricted how sign 'n' trades can be used.  On that note, Brooklyn used one to include Bogans in the KG/PP trade last year.  How are SnTs restricted in the new CBA?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Re: CBA question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here's the complete primer:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q90

A couple of the changes:

Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.

Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Another day, another CBA question.  Once you make a trade, how long do you have to wait until you can trade the players that you acquired?  I know back in the day there was a 48 hour window (think Rasheed with the Hawks), but I thought I had heard that window no longer existed.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Another day, another CBA question.  Once you make a trade, how long do you have to wait until you can trade the players that you acquired?  I know back in the day there was a 48 hour window (think Rasheed with the Hawks), but I thought I had heard that window no longer existed.

If the newly acquired player is in a trade in which his salary is aggregated with other salaries (i.e. A multi-player deal), then 60 days.  If it's a 1-for-1 trade, then the only limit is how quickly you can work out another trade.

For example, say we acquired Carlos Boozer on draft night, June 27th, because the Bulls wanted to clear salary for next year, and we decided we just wanted draft picks.  Then, later on, we changed our mind about Boozer, and wanted to send him to Minnesota as the salary match for Kevin Love.  If Minnesota only wanted Boozer and a bunch of future picks, the trade could happen immediately.  If Boozer also wanted Jared Sullinger, the deal would have to wait until August 26th.  (Technically, if Minny had a player who's salary could match Sullinger's whom they didn't want, the trade could be made as two separate deals -- Boozer for Love and Sullinger for mystery salary-matcher, and also occur immediately.)

I hope this example in which we get Kevin Love makes everything clear.