Author Topic: Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondo  (Read 9226 times)

Re: Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondo
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lakers currently have 6th pick.  If they don't get into the top 3, I could certainly see them moving Nash + first for Rondo.  In fact it makes a lot of sense for them given their situation with Kobe.  With Rondo and Kobe the Lakers are around 38 million in salary.  If they could get Pau locked up at say 3 years 20 million or something like that, that puts them at like 44 million, add in the few cap holds and what not and they are in the 46 million range.  That would give them around 16 million to start a "star" player at this summer.  I think that is something they would go for given their Kobe situation (i.e. another season of rebuilding doesn't make sense for them).

For Boston, Nash is just an expiring contract.  If the lottery goes by record, Boston would likely take Exum at #4 with their pick and then I would imagine Vonleh with the Lakers pick.  With the Brooklyn pick it looks like Boston could pick up TJ Warren or Kyle Anderson.  So Boston post-trade/draft would have their PG of the future in Exum, their SF of the future in Warren/Anderson, and a quality young big man rotation with Sullinger, Vonleh, and Olynyk.  That team isn't making the playoffs next year so it would add another high pick in 2015 (which the draft is loaded with true centers) plus the Clippers pick to supplement the roster.  I think that would be a pretty good spot to be in.  If somehow Boston hit the lottery and got into the top 3 and then still could add Vonleh (or maybe Exum slips) and Warren, it would of course be even better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lakers currently have 6th pick.  If they don't get into the top 3, I could certainly see them moving Nash + first for Rondo.  In fact it makes a lot of sense for them given their situation with Kobe.  With Rondo and Kobe the Lakers are around 38 million in salary.  If they could get Pau locked up at say 3 years 20 million or something like that, that puts them at like 44 million, add in the few cap holds and what not and they are in the 46 million range.  That would give them around 16 million to start a "star" player at this summer.  I think that is something they would go for given their Kobe situation (i.e. another season of rebuilding doesn't make sense for them).

For Boston, Nash is just an expiring contract.  If the lottery goes by record, Boston would likely take Exum at #4 with their pick and then I would imagine Vonleh with the Lakers pick.  With the Brooklyn pick it looks like Boston could pick up TJ Warren or Kyle Anderson.  So Boston post-trade/draft would have their PG of the future in Exum, their SF of the future in Warren/Anderson, and a quality young big man rotation with Sullinger, Vonleh, and Olynyk.  That team isn't making the playoffs next year so it would add another high pick in 2015 (which the draft is loaded with true centers) plus the Clippers pick to supplement the roster.  I think that would be a pretty good spot to be in.  If somehow Boston hit the lottery and got into the top 3 and then still could add Vonleh (or maybe Exum slips) and Warren, it would of course be even better.

Substitute "Gordon" for "Vonleigh" and I'm on board with this.

I think Danny has no qualms making a major trade with the Lakers.  I don't either. I just don't think they are willing to give up a 5 or 6 pick for Rondo. I think we will need to sweeten it somehow. But we have an extra pick to make that work.

I see this rebuild as a two year process. I would look forward to watching this team compete filled with young talent, even if they don't make playoffs next year. I enjoyed the years of watching Al Jefferson, Perk, Delonte and Tony Allen when they were pups. It was frustrating, but also rewarding to watch.  With our salary structure next year in great shape, we could do real damage starting 2015-16.

Re: Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondoq
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I'd do this and draft both Wiggins (our pick) and Exum (Lakers pick). We'll still lose a lot next year but with promising prospects like Wiggins, Exum, KO and Sully, it won't be so bad. Then with cap space in 2015 and another high pick, we could really make a splash. We could even go the 07 trade route and cash in Wiggins and the rest for some vets.
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was about to start a new thread about this until I remembered we had one earlier this month.

Lakers have Kobe locked in for a couple years.  Kobe likes Rondo.  Lakers would want to be competitive as soon as possible... They are picking 5th, 6th.. or potentially 7-9 if they get super unlucky in the lotto.

Nash's expiring + Lakers #5 pick for Rondo...   I can't imagine either team saying no.

Boston would have the 5th and 6th pick to add talent (Smart and Randle, for instance) + Sully + Oly + Bradley + many other picks to grow for the next few years.

Lakers would have Kobe at 24 mil, Rondo at 13 mil... + another 20 mil to add free agents.   They could sign Melo or LeBron and head into next season with a contender.

Seems to make too much sense for both teams.

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Only LeBron's definitely not leaving Miami and 'Melo probably isn't leaving NY. And their starting center would still be Robert Sacre.

But I think the Celtics would have a hard time saying no to back-to-back picks (particularly if LA gets lucky in the Lotto) if they were committed to be bad in '15
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Only LeBron's definitely not leaving Miami and 'Melo probably isn't leaving NY. And their starting center would still be Robert Sacre.

But I think the Celtics would have a hard time saying no to back-to-back picks (particularly if LA gets lucky in the Lotto) if they were committed to be bad in '15

Well with 20 mil in cap space the lakers could just bring back pau... Or trade a bunch of future picks for Kevin love and absorb his salary... Since he's destined to sign there in 2015 anyways

And I think if the lakers had rondo, melo would have to strongly consider signing there.  He and rondo are friends.

As for boston, they'd be one of the most exciting young teams in the league. Probably would struggle for a few years but it would be a lot of fun watching the development 

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I would do this trade in a second, I love it. We get another lotto pick that we can either use or trade for another established star. Even if we keep the pick and draft Noah Vonleh or someone similar we are going to be built to be right back in the lottery next season with 20+ Million to Wallace and Nash.

And then hopefully by 2016 or 2017 we will be the next up and coming team like the OKC were years ago.Of course that means getting a Durant :P

I actually think the Lakers say no to this but it seems pretty close in value...Maybe if we included next years LAC pick to sweeten it. (We aren't going to use all of our supermassive hoard of pick anyways). It would suck seeing Rondo in Gold and Purple but business and business and the lakers are a good trade partner. Rondo/Love/Melo/ in 2016 for them would be a pretty good team.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:48:39 PM by Smokeeye123 »

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I still don't grasp the concept of why any Celtic fan would intentionally make a deal that will make the C's worse  for years while making the Lakers contenders for 2-3 years (or longer depending on how they fill in around Rondo, Kobe and Pau) with that available money. 

just incomprehensible to me.  Lakers would quite possibly be hoisting #18 before the C's.   just mind boggling.

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I am with you on that one. TP.

Also what I don't understand is why would anyone give a superstar for a draft pick and a player at the end of his career, just to see his beloved team develop young talent through 3-4-5 years, and God knows how that'll work out.

Ok, I would understand if there's up and coming LeBron James, but let's face the truth here.

I would always, always give up draft picks for established players like Deng, Melo, Cousins, etc. than the other way around.

IMO, it's better to build a team with established players, there are much better chances for winning than going the way Cleveland, Philly, OKC did. In the OKC case it worked superbly, and then in Cavs case not so much.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There is a history of trading between these two franchises. It is not like the Red Sox and Yankees, who are in the same division.  If a trade would help us improve in the long term, the fact that it is with the Lakers does not get me worked up.

Plus, I think Kobe and Rondo would mix like oil and water!!

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I've been thinking about this, and it makes sense, but I've heard that the Lakers want to trade their pick for Love.  If so, the Rondo to L.A scenario requires certain dominos to fall in order to make L.A bite.

"L.A bite"  :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The two options I see..

Option 1-

Trade the pick(s) for Love, keep Rondo, and start an immediate return to playoff glory.

Option 2-

Aren't able to move the pick and land an established all-star caliber player. This hurts the ability to re-sign Rondo due to the struggling young team around him. So C's trade Rondo for pick(s) as the re-building process will likely take a couple of more seasons and you don't run the risk of losing Rondo outright.

The two Rondo trades that make the most sense...

Trade 1-

Sacramento for McLemore and the rights to 2014 1st rd pick (they'll be selecting for us) and fillers (Terry and Evans for example). We buyout one or both players.

Trade 2-

LAL for Nash and the rights to the 2014 rd pick (they too will be selecting for us). We buyout Nash. He signs with either LAC or Toronto.

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The two options I see..

Option 1-

Trade the pick(s) for Love, keep Rondo, and start an immediate return to playoff glory.

Option 2-

Aren't able to move the pick and land an established all-star caliber player. This hurts the ability to re-sign Rondo due to the struggling young team around him. So C's trade Rondo for pick(s) as the re-building process will likely take a couple of more seasons and you don't run the risk of losing Rondo outright.

The two Rondo trades that make the most sense...

Trade 1-

Sacramento for McLemore and the rights to 2014 1st rd pick (they'll be selecting for us) and fillers (Terry and Evans for example). We buyout one or both players.

Trade 2-

LAL for Nash and the rights to the 2014 rd pick (they too will be selecting for us). We buyout Nash. He signs with either LAC or Toronto.

Those two trades seem plausible to me too. With the second trade I ask for Xavier Henry though, too.

Lakers gotta win in Kobe's $60 million year window, so they should do it.

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Xavier Henry can't be traded as he is going to be a FA.

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I still don't grasp the concept of why any Celtic fan would intentionally make a deal that will make the C's worse  for years while making the Lakers contenders for 2-3 years (or longer depending on how they fill in around Rondo, Kobe and Pau) with that available money. 

just incomprehensible to me.  Lakers would quite possibly be hoisting #18 before the C's.   just mind boggling.

Do you honestly think Rondo/Love with an old and decling Kobe Bryant will win 18? Kobe has destroyed their capspace for the next couple years.