Author Topic: Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondo  (Read 9221 times)

Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondo
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I've been thinking about this for a bit and feel if we get two top 6/7 picks this year we might be better off as Rondo is a definite risk to move on once his contract expires.   I do love Rondo, but he is a knuckle head and if we go the youth route it might stall the rebuild a fraction, but it would be fun to watch. In addition we'd be in great shape come the 2015 draft to make some significant moves.

Nash is just to match contracts.  I think the Lakers would consider this as Kobe loves Rondo and they need to be competitive now with Kobe's age.  They also have some cap space and could make a move for Melo or another top tier free agent which would be them in the conversation immediately. 

If we could some combination of 2 of the top six or 7 we'd be in great shape come 2015 and have a lot of cap space ourselves once Nash is off the books.  He may even retire..

Assume we get
Jabari Parker and Marcus Smart/Exum

We'd be in great shape come 2015 draft with tons of assets.   It might be exciting to watch them develop.   Not sold on this plan but I think it might be something to consider especially if the Lakers get a good lottery spot.

Thoughts?

Re: Lakers 1st and Steve Nash for Rondo
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It would be interesting to see how far rondo's game would fall if he were sharing the court with a ball dominating star like Kobe.  I'm not sure rondo can be statistically relevant without the ball in his hands constantly.   It was supposed to change under Stevens (his teams share the ball), but curiously rondo has the ball more than any player in the league... Some are speculating this is because Ainge still intends to trade Rondo on draft day and is using this season to showcase rondo.  Allowing him to dominate the ball helps keep his stats inflated and also helps us tank. 

Personally, I don't think Rondo is going anywhere. I think he will be a nice piece if we land a superstar.  But I understand why some people think he's being showcased.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm pretty sure there's another thread on this that's been kicked around pretty recently.

I wouldn't make the deal for 2 big reasons:
1. we'd have to hope beyond hope that whoever's available with the Lakers pick would be anywhere near as good as Rondo.  Personally, now that the college season has reduced much of the hype surrounding these players, it's not very likely whoever's available at 6 is as good as Rondo.
2. No way, no how would I make a deal that improves the Lakers.  never happen.  I could care less about what they have to do to be relevant and keep Kobe happy.  screw them.

Also, did you think watching the team this season was fun?  all the losing and people here rooting for losses?  I didn't care for it.  trading Rondo and bringing in 3 more rookies will make this team even worse.  It'd be one thing to bring them in WITH Rondo, but without him, it'll just be more frustrating next year.  I don't expect us to be good even with Rondo next year but the following year with Green and Wallace off the books, several good young players and cap room to get a really good FA with Rondo as a draw, I think this team will be on the upswing for 2016.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lakers' level of interest in Rondo will depend on who their next coach will be.

Plus, one of our two picks would have to be Exum, Ennis or Smart, and even then, we have no real clue how either would perform in the NBA. Might have to work a separate deal for Irving (one of the two picks plus Sully??). Cleveland could use the pick to take a PG like Ennis.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Assuming Rondo resigns with us and at what price?  I just don't feel good about giving Rondo the Max which I suspect he'll want. 

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If it was a top 4 pick from the Lakers and they were still dumb enough to offer it, I'd jump at it.  Especially if the Celtics had a top 4 pick of their own.

Ending up with something like Parker & Exum along with Nash's expiring would be awfuly appealing.  Might as well blow it up and rebuild if that is on the table.

I don't think the Lakers are stupid enough to give up a top 4 pick in this draft, though.  I don't think any team would give up a top 4 pick in this draft for Rondo.  Especially when you consider what teams are most likely going to be there.

If the Lakers are shopping #6 or #7, not so much.  I think there's a dropoff so I'd be more inclined to keep Rondo in that situation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If it was a top 4 pick from the Lakers and they were still dumb enough to offer it, I'd jump at it.  Especially if the Celtics had a top 4 pick of their own.

Ending up with something like Parker & Exum along with Nash's expiring would be awfuly appealing.  Might as well blow it up and rebuild if that is on the table.

I agree in theory, but we'd have to be very careful about which guys we paired up.  There's a serious risk of an alpha dog issue in that kind of situation.  A power struggle between two young talents could force us to blow up the team yet again a year or two down the line.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think the Lakers would love that deal. I think the Celts would only consider it if it's a top 3 (Wiggins, Embiid, Parker if he declares). Lakers are probably going to nab a 5th or 6th pick. A guy like Gordon or Vonleh would be nice, but not in exchange for a player of Rondo's caliber.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I'd be willing to entertain this scenario under two conditions:

1. Celtics end up with the #1 pick, and take Wiggins.
2. Lakers pick is 4th or 5th overall. [I don't see the Lakers trading the #2 or #3 overall for Rondo.]

Even then, I'd be torn on this, because it'd mean another year of rebuilding.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The other thread on this was a little different to start but ended up at about the same place.  I wonder if we could get a season of play, even say 24 min ave per game, out of Nash.  I suspect not.  Having him to play and mentor some young players would not be a bad thing and if he played well enough, he could potentially be flipped.  More likely, Nash retires and is just cap/salary savings.

On the pick for Rondo, Phili got 2 picks (one top 5 protected) for Holiday.  Is that the same as one pick and cap relief (assuming Nash retires).  I know the Lakers don't have more picks to trade but I think we could get their pick this year, Nash, and one of their young players, maybe Kendall Marshall.

That is way better than seeing Rondo leave after next year and sign with the Lakers.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
The other thread on this was a little different to start but ended up at about the same place.  I wonder if we could get a season of play, even say 24 min ave per game, out of Nash.  I suspect not.  Having him to play and mentor some young players would not be a bad thing and if he played well enough, he could potentially be flipped.  More likely, Nash retires and is just cap/salary savings.

I doubt Nash reports should he be traded. I think he's adamant about staying close to his kids.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A huge IF, but if this were part of a bigger picture...

1) Draft Embiid & Wiggins (or maybe Parker/Exum)
2) Sullinger, Nash and future picks for Kevin Love
3) Green, Anthony, draft pick for Asik, Beverley
4) Sign a wing for the MLE (and move Bass)

Lineup:

PG  Beverley / Bradley
SG  Bradley / Wiggins
SF  MLE / Wiggins
PF  Love / Olynyk
C   Asik / Embiid

You have two of the best rebounders in the league (Love/Asik), a rim protector (Asik), a 6th man big (Olynyk), a developing star wing (Wiggins), a developing star center (Embiid), three elite defenders (Beverley / Bradley / Asik) and tons of cap room to resign Love.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
#5 plus a future first rounder would be fair

Just #5, not so much

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
A huge IF, but if this were part of a bigger picture...

1) Draft Embiid & Wiggins (or maybe Parker/Exum)
2) Sullinger, Nash and future picks for Kevin Love
3) Green, Anthony, draft pick for Asik, Beverley
4) Sign a wing for the MLE (and move Bass)

Lineup:

PG  Beverley / Bradley
SG  Bradley / Wiggins
SF  MLE / Wiggins
PF  Love / Olynyk
C   Asik / Embiid

You have two of the best rebounders in the league (Love/Asik), a rim protector (Asik), a 6th man big (Olynyk), a developing star wing (Wiggins), a developing star center (Embiid), three elite defenders (Beverley / Bradley / Asik) and tons of cap room to resign Love.

Well, I doubt that team would make any noise the following season. Not enough depth for a playoff run.

Would Asik and Love be retained beyond the following season? At what cost?

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree in theory, but we'd have to be very careful about which guys we paired up.  There's a serious risk of an alpha dog issue in that kind of situation.  A power struggle between two young talents could force us to blow up the team yet again a year or two down the line.

Oh, definitely.  For example, I wouldn't do something like Smart/Parker. 

I think Embiid with anyone would go alright.

As crazy as it sounds, Wiggins/Parker might even work. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team