Author Topic: Who Are Your "Ideal" Choices with A top 3 pick and a the 2014 BK pick?  (Read 17114 times)

Re: Who Are Your "Ideal" Choices with A top 3 pick and a the 2014 BK pick?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I trade the picks for someone really good (Cousins, Love...)
If no trade is available I draft Exum (but any of the top 4 is fine really) and with the other pick the BPA, preferibly an athletic center, or an SF.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Jabari Parker and Jusuf Nurkic or Zach Lavine

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

This, except Id be happy with Embiid, Parker, or Wiggins. I don't have enough knowledge from watching games or a scouts eye to pick among the big 3. My heart says Parker , my head says Embiid, my gut says Wiggins.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This, except Id be happy with Embiid, Parker, or Wiggins. I don't have enough knowledge from watching games or a scouts eye to pick among the big 3. My heart says Parker , my head says Embiid, my gut says Wiggins.
Dang IP, that's one busy body you got there. Usually I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Dang IP, that's one busy body you got there. Usually I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

After i typed that post, using all three of my compasses, I peed my pants and blacked out for 3 hours. The voices in my head say its nothing to worry about but my knee is awful pained about it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Good pickup on Capella with the #18 pick.

Here is how I rate the centers in this year's draft:

Embiid > Vonleh > Capela > everyone else

NBA comps

Olajuwon > Bosh > Camby

So I'd be fine with Embiid at a top 3 pick, Vonleh from 5-8 pick, and Capela with our second 1st round pick.

Here is Capela's flim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29d4g1C80Y

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:03 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Good pickup on Capella with the #18 pick.

Here is how I rate the centers in this year's draft:

Embiid > Vonleh > Capela > everyone else

NBA comps

Olajuwon > Bosh > Camby

So I'd be fine with Embiid at a top 3 pick, Vonleh from 5-8 pick, and Capela with our second 1st round pick.

Here is Capela's flim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29d4g1C80Y

Low IQ is 1 of his weaknesses? No sir. RR would kill the kid.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Vonleh is a PF, a tall one that might some day have to flow over to the center position as the skills, if he ends up developing NBA skills, declines, but he is a PF.

I actually think the center position is pretty thin in this draft. Embiid is awfully raw and as a whole is probably behind Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel, the two big men drafted high in the last two drafts, in his development coming out of college, especially defensively. The back is also a major concern. Look what a concern on Noel's knee did for his draft stock last year.

With WCS and Harrel staying in school that leaves Capela and Nurkic as the only other center prospects worthy of a first round look and both are young internationals, probably the most volatile draft prospects you can find in the first round. So many don't come anywhere close to being what their draft hype predictors and indicators project them to become.

That said, if Capela is there at 18 I think Danny has to take a shot at him if he doesn't land Embiid higher up in the draft.

You know, the best player available at both drafting spots might just be small forwards and Danny might take two of them, not be able to move Green's and Wallace's contracts and have another year where he has a massive log jam at a position. Next year's team could consist of one center, 5 PFs, 4 SFs, and 5 undersize guards that can't shoot. Can anyone say 20 wins?

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Vonleh is a PF, a tall one that might some day have to flow over to the center position as the skills, if he ends up developing NBA skills, declines, but he is a PF.

I actually think the center position is pretty thin in this draft. Embiid is awfully raw and as a whole is probably behind Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel, the two big men drafted high in the last two drafts, in his development coming out of college, especially defensively. The back is also a major concern. Look what a concern on Noel's knee did for his draft stock last year.

With WCS and Harrel staying in school that leaves Capela and Nurkic as the only other center prospects worthy of a first round look and both are young internationals, probably the most volatile draft prospects you can find in the first round. So many don't come anywhere close to being what their draft hype predictors and indicators project them to become.

That said, if Capela is there at 18 I think Danny has to take a shot at him if he doesn't land Embiid higher up in the draft.

You know, the best player available at both drafting spots might just be small forwards and Danny might take two of them, not be able to move Green's and Wallace's contracts and have another year where he has a massive log jam at a position. Next year's team could consist of one center, 5 PFs, 4 SFs, and 5 undersize guards that can't shoot. Can anyone say 20 wins?

What's wrong with the idea of making some trades to balance the roster?  I thought you didn't want to see the team suck again next year?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed on the SF thing. And this scenario would not surprise me one bit,  I certainly could see Danny drafting a SF with both picks rather than reach at the C position with the second 1st rounder.  I wouldn't have a qualm with it either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You know, the best player available at both drafting spots might just be small forwards and Danny might take two of them, not be able to move Green's and Wallace's contracts and have another year where he has a massive log jam at a position. Next year's team could consist of one center, 5 PFs, 5 SFs, and 4 undersize guards that can't shoot. Can anyone say 20 wins?

What's wrong with the idea of making some trades to balance the roster?  I thought you didn't want to see the team suck again next year?
I hope he does my friend but there's no guarantee he will be able to do it and get fair compensation coming back. Look at this year. He knew the make up problems of this team and had to go forward with it anyway because, unlike what many here on this site might want, Ainge does not make trades to give away players. He gets value in return. The value he is looking for might not be there and so, he could, yet again, construct another disjointed roster with an over-abundance of players at a couple of position.

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You know, the best player available at both drafting spots might just be small forwards and Danny might take two of them, not be able to move Green's and Wallace's contracts and have another year where he has a massive log jam at a position. Next year's team could consist of one center, 5 PFs, 5 SFs, and 4 undersize guards that can't shoot. Can anyone say 20 wins?

I hope he does my friend but there's no guarantee he will be able to do it and get fair compensation coming back. Look at this year. He knew the make up problems of this team and had to go forward with it anyway because, unlike what many here on this site might want, Ainge does not make trades to give away players. He gets value in return. The value he is looking for might not be there and so, he could, yet again, construct another disjointed roster with an over-abundance of players at a couple of position.
completely agree.  I think he's taking BPA at both slots regardless of who we have on the roster -- even if it's 2 SFs.  Green and Wallace are off the books in 2 years - we'll need someone to replace them.

if we have the 1st and 18th though and everyone available passes the physicals, I think it goes Embiid (3 players as the BPA but 1 really fits a position of need) and with the 18th pick he takes the best SG/SF available since those positions will probably represent the BPAs at that pint.  could be Hairston, Warren or Hood.  be happy with any of them.

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm reasonably confident Danny can unload Bass, at least.  Having 4 SFs wouldn't be so terrible as long as at least a couple of them can credibly swing between the two wing spots.  We might see some small-ball lineups with PFs at the 5 and SFs at the 4 -- though I don't get the sense Brad is particularly enamored of small-ball.

There's a solid chance the team next year is even worse (in terms of record) than this year.  Higher highs, but lower lows.  That will happen if Rondo is traded for youth / picks, the veterans (aside from Wallace's dead contract) get cleared away, and the team is left with an inexperienced, if talented, bunch. 

Patience is the word.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm reasonably confident Danny can unload Bass, at least.  Having 4 SFs wouldn't be so terrible as long as at least a couple of them can credibly swing between the two wing spots.  We might see some small-ball lineups with PFs at the 5 and SFs at the 4 -- though I don't get the sense Brad is particularly enamored of small-ball.

There's a solid chance the team next year is even worse (in terms of record) than this year.  Higher highs, but lower lows.  That will happen if Rondo is traded for youth / picks, the veterans (aside from Wallace's dead contract) get cleared away, and the team is left with an inexperienced, if talented, bunch. 

Patience is the word.
Can't disagree with anything you said here, my man. Its kind of the way I see things playing out this off season and next season. Its going to be a quite a long while before this team is in contention again, IMHO.

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Patience is the word.
Can't disagree with anything you said here, my man. Its kind of the way I see things playing out this off season and next season. Its going to be a quite a long while before this team is in contention again, IMHO.

I would actually be shocked if we're back in contention again soon. I don't think this team has the assets just yet to make that big "KG" trade (if there's one even available) and make it work (in the off-chance that it does happen).

I think our assets still need to mature. If we get some real promising young guys this offseason, I'd be fine with the losses next season. At that point, it's all about player development (w/c is different from tanking, imo). High picks will come with the growing pains, but we may one day trade our investments+picks for that "KG" again.

Unfortunately, the "top 3 pick" scenario is looking pretty bleak.
- LilRip