Author Topic: Say we got the top pick in the draft. Would you trade it for Kyrie Irving?  (Read 8568 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Based on the info we have in hand, the odds are against the 2014 top pick having a better career than Irving. That said, I'm in deep rebuilding mode and I would have to pay Irving in 2015... I might have to overpay him.

So, no. I'd rather have the rook that I don't have to pay until 2017.

That actually doesn't make any sense to me. The bar for having a career better than Irving's is pretty low (I put little emphasis on All-Star appearances after 2003, when they switched to fan voting).

I'll be happy if whoever we draft comes close to Kyrie's level.  It's not his fault he's stuck on a bottom-five team (in terms of management).

If the pick exceeds Kyrie, I'd be thrilled.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I would take what's available in the draft at the top. Irving's a scoring PG on a bad team with assist numbers that aren't great and whose defense sucks. A one-trick pony by the numbers and in the games I've seen of him.  I don't see how that skill set translates onto a contending team with talent. I want a more well rounded PG than what he's shown. Seems to be a locker room problem too by many accounts.

I'd also take a healthy Rondo over Irving.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Kyrie is going to get a max deal of the same value as Rondo is eligible for next summer.  He's a good player, but I wouldn't be down for that commitment on top of sending #1 overall.  Feels like a good way to tread water.

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Plus, having a couple extra years on a rookie scale contract is a big plus in terms of keeping the draftee.

TP.  Having premium talent locked into a rookie contract is huge if you want to do a proper rebuild. 

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Plus, having a couple extra years on a rookie scale contract is a big plus in terms of keeping the draftee.

TP.  Having premium talent locked into a rookie contract is huge if you want to do a proper rebuild.

Absolutely important.  If we get a top 3-4 pick I think we run with it.  I think KI will demand higher money than Rondo actually.  We don't need a new point guard (or under sized combo-guard, not sure exactly what KI is...) We need a SG with some size and to be a scorer to go along w/ a rim protector.  If our pick somehow lands us Wiggins, hopefully he can turn into that.

DA can bundle other parts / Trade Exception / future picks to get us a rim protector - big and we are probably out of the lottery next year.

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Absolutely important.  If we get a top 3-4 pick I think we run with it.  I think KI will demand higher money than Rondo actually.  We don't need a new point guard (or under sized combo-guard, not sure exactly what KI is...) We need a SG with some size and to be a scorer to go along w/ a rim protector.  If our pick somehow lands us Wiggins, hopefully he can turn into the wing scorer that we need.

DA can bundle other parts / Trade Exception / future picks to get us a rim protector - big and we are probably out of the lottery next year.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:36:50 PM by blink »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I love RR and even I think Kyrie is a better player than him.   Kyrie looks to be a top five PG for years to come.

I would make the trade thought I doubt CLE would and I would trade try to move RR for Monroe so he can play with Smith, his buddy.   I love Rondo and think he is very good player but I would make this move if it were offered to me.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
no. makes no sense.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Based on the info we have in hand, the odds are against the 2014 top pick having a better career than Irving. That said, I'm in deep rebuilding mode and I would have to pay Irving in 2015... I might have to overpay him.

That actually doesn't make any sense to me. The bar for having a career better than Irving's is pretty low (I put little emphasis on All-Star appearances after 2003, when they switched to fan voting).

I mean, that's basically what I'm saying. I don't disagree with you that all-star selections are terrible, but...  I'm calling Irving an all-star- his bona fides are 2x all star and a ROY.

So yeah- I'm basically saying that the #1 pick will, more likely than not, come up short of 2x all-star and ROY.

But I'm also saying, implicitly I guess, that Kyrie Irving is not a must-have player for me. He's a 22yo 2x all-star, but I don't want him on my team for max money. So yeah- Kyrie Irving is not as good as his resume. We definitely agree on that

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
depends, if we get a top 3, I would like to see us keep it. It's the homer side of me speaking, I want to see a future with Rondo and our upcoming pick

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
this is a tough one. I don't really view the salary cap as too much of an issue though because won't we be over the cap anyway if we resign Rondo to an eventual extension? 

Anyway, acquiring Irving creates a logjam at PG and there's no guarantee we can trade Rondo for either an elite big or an elite wing. Plus, the possibility of landing Wiggins is way too tantalizing for me. I would hate to acquire Irving and then watch as Wiggins or Embiid sets the league on fire.

On the other hand, i do consider Irving an upgrade over Rondo.

maybe we can trade the 1st overall pick for Irving, then trade Rondo to Milwaukee for the rights to Wiggins?  ;D

- LilRip

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I mean, that's basically what I'm saying. I don't disagree with you that all-star selections are terrible, but...  I'm calling Irving an all-star- his bona fides are 2x all star and a ROY.

So yeah- I'm basically saying that the #1 pick will, more likely than not, come up short of 2x all-star and ROY.

I'd be pretty surprised if the average top draft pick had fewer than 2 all-star appearances. That's a fairly low bar.

Aside from that, you can easily make the argument that Irving's best year was his rookie year. If we win the lottery and don't end up with a better player than Kyrie then this is the most over-hyped draft in nba history.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'd be pretty surprised if the average top draft pick had fewer than 2 all-star appearances. That's a fairly low bar.

Aside from that, you can easily make the argument that Irving's best year was his rookie year. If we win the lottery and don't end up with a better player than Kyrie then this is the most over-hyped draft in nba history.

You're right, BBT. It's not as bad as I thought. It looks like close to 80% of 1st overall picks become all-stars. I can rest even easier when I trade Irving for Wiggins.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm pretty sure All-Star starters have always been determined by fan vote, or at least since well before 2003; I know for sure that's the only way AC Green got in, and that was 1990.

On-topic, I agree with the consensus - we have a PG, and it doesn't make much sense to trade for another one who'll get paid sooner instead of taking a wing or center.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, sorry -- cell phone fan voting. 2003 was when they implemented that -- the ballot basically doubles over night -- and it leads to things like Kobe getting in last year, etc.

Also, somgh, point taken. TP for the explanation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.