Author Topic: Eric Bledsoe  (Read 3803 times)

Eric Bledsoe
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Just putting this out there for discussion purposes.  I honestly haven't decided if I would/wouldn't pull the trigger on this because I haven't watched Eric Bledsoe play much, but I do know he is a well thought of 24-year old two way PG that Danny Ainge has been interested in in the past. Additionally, I personally am open to trading Rondo if it sets us up better as a long term contender. My preference is having two guards each capable of handling the ball, working off the ball, and shooting from distance as opposed to a defined PG to handle the ball and SG to spot up, etc (in a perfect world anyway).

Bledsoe is a RFA this off season. Say he'll sign for 4 years $44M. A trade of Rondo for Bledsoe and the #14 pick from Phoenix is on the table.

A) As the Celtics, would you do the deal?
B) Who do you target at #14?
C) Would Phoenix pull the trigger on this deal?
D) Is 4/$44M about right for Bledsoe?

If it happened, going into Nov '14 that'd leave us with:

PG - Bledsoe
SG - Bradley (qualifying offer) / Stauskas (#14)
SF - Green / one of Wiggins, Parker, Anderson, Hood or Warren
PF - Sully / Knockout (KO)
C - Embiid or FA/trade (Okafor, Asik, Sanders, Mozgov, etc)

IMO, this is an exciting lineup in 14/15 and beyond. Could be an interesting option. Bledsoe's injury history is another consideration on the negative side you may want to consider. What do you think?

Re: Eric Bledsoe
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't understand Phoenix's motivation.

Rondo for Bledsoe straight up probably doesn't get Phoenix to bite.  Bledsoe is a younger player, a better scorer, and on a similar level defensively (if not better).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I absolutely would take this deal. This would then give us 3 picks in this year's draft. For the sake of discussion, let's say we win the lottery and pick Andrew Wiggins with our pick. With Phoenix's pick, I would probably target a defensive-minded C to put alongside Sully, someone like Willie Cauley-Stein. With Brooklyn's, I say go for a catch-and-shoot guy like Stauskas.

PG: Bledsoe
SG: Stauskas
SF: Wiggins
PF: Sullinger
 C: Cauley-Stein

I can dig it.

Phoenix wouldn't do it though.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Yeah, it probably is a bit of a reach for Phoenix to pull the trigger on this. If they were one piece away and they viewed Rondo as the guy to tie it all together it'd be more plausible, but they are looking for young guys to build around just like us, and Bledsoe fits that mold nicely.

I can only hope that Ryan McDermott has an irrationally high opinion of Rajon from his Boston days.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Note regarding Phoenix's draft picks:

If the season were to end today, they would pick at the following places in the first round:

17th (from Washington)
21st (their own)
26th (from Indiana)

They are not currently slotted to pick 14th.  They could slide down to 14th if they finish 9th in the West, but as of today, that isn't happening.  They have games against Dallas and Memphis within the next week, however, so a lot of movement can happen for them in either direction.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Starting with A) I say absolutely not.

Rookies don't win in this league. Three draft picks in this years draft puts us in mediocracy land for the next 5 years and who knows if we ever get out.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
I would say yes. I think Bledsoe would be a good for with brad Stevens and say out pick lands at 4 or 5 I would go with exum. Someone said their first would be slotted at 21 if the draft were today, so I'll go with that. While your right this is a veteran league a perfect mix is ideal. 19 brk- stauskas 21 phx- go with Payne. Let Humphries go trade bass. I would try to bring in a center gortat or Lopez maybe, also I've heard Stevens likes the 2 pg system. I would only bring Bradley back on his qo. So our roste would look like

Bledsoe, vet, Pressey
Exum, Bradley?, stauskas
Green, Wallace
Sullinger, KO, Payne
Gortat-Lopez-Vet?, KO, Fav

I think that would give us a solid core of young players and veterans. I would like that team a lot.
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't see Phoenix doing it.  If they want to go with a pair of PGs, they already have that have proven to work together.

If they trade one, I imagine they would be looking for an equivalent talent at another position to get away from the two PG starters.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
I don't see Phoenix doing it.  If they want to go with a pair of PGs, they already have that have proven to work together.

If they trade one, I imagine they would be looking for an equivalent talent at another position to get away from the two PG starters.

They are really dependent on their 3 point shooting as well. I'm not sure what bledsoes is but I would bet rondo probably isn't close, but he would be able to maximize their other players by putting them in the best opportunities to get the best shots. I know they wanted to trade for a proven star, and that would be rondo. They could mix some of their other assets to bring in maybe a melo or someone else. Rondo, melo, dragic pretty scary.
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Well since Bledsoe is a Restricted FA and the Suns have already said they will match any offer for him as well as saying that he is part of their future I don't see them trading him.  They want to build around him.  They overachieved in large part because of him so why would they trade him?   

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
phx would never do such a trade. Phx would try to acquire Rondo if they couldn't match an offer for Bledsoe. And even then , Dragic is a fine starting PG.

Phx would maybe offer Plumlee or Len with the 14th and 17th picks though for Rondo. I would gladly take such trade offer.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Rajon Rondo is a better player than Bledsoe and is just entering his prime. There is no reason for PHX not to be interested in him. While they may be hesitant to trade the highest of their picks in addition to Rondo, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't throw in a pick around #20 in order to upgrade their roster.

We all realize that Rondo still isn't 100%, right?

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Also, while I realize Bledsoe is younger and probably has more productive years left, I am inclined to try and snag away Dragic - not only is he super talented, but his intangibles are through the roof. I just love watching the guy play bball.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well since Bledsoe is a Restricted FA and the Suns have already said they will match any offer for him as well as saying that he is part of their future I don't see them trading him.  They want to build around him.  They overachieved in large part because of him so why would they trade him?

Their GM learned from Ainge that anyone is tradable if the price is right.  I don't expect the OP's idea to occur, but if Bledsoe wanted to play elsewhere and negotiated a contract with that team, I'm sure McDonough would be willing to listen to offers before matching the offer Bledsoe received.   

Also, stating that they'll match any offer is designed to have two effects, in addition to the potentially honest position that it may be:

1) It tells teams interested in Bledsoe to call the Suns first to work out a trade (once signed to an offer sheet, a trade isn't possible.)

2) It may have the effect of keeping down Bledsoe's offers from other teams.  If you sign a restricted free agent to an offer sheet, you lose that amount of cap space until the original team either matches the offer or declines to match -- a process that can take three days.  In the fast-paced world of the summer free agency period, a team may not want to risk having their cap dollars tied up in a player they may ultimately not be able to sign.  After three days, their plans B, C, and D may be off the market.  While it only takes one team, there are a finite amount of teams with the cap room to sign Bledsoe to a large free agent deal.  If those teams all turn to other free agents, Bledsoe's offers may never materialize, and he'll be forced to accept a little less.  This is what happened to Pekovic last summer.  (He could of course sign his qualifying offer, but the difference in that and what the Suns would even offer at a reduced price is too great to be worth the risk).

You will hear Danny use not quite as strong language about Bradley, but similar language nonetheless during the offseason.  This is for similar reasons -- it allows him to signal to teams to call him about a sign-and-trade, and it may hold down Bradley's offers to something Ainge considers more reasonable.  With Bradley, of course, it is possible that some team could offer way more than Ainge is willing to go (which isn't the case with Bledsoe, who the Suns might be willing to match a max deal for), but that's pretty unlikely.  More likely is that Ainge lets the market set Bradley's price, or orchestrates a sign-and-trade.  There's also a greater chance that AB just plays for his qualifying offer next season if the offers don't materialize -- he wouldn't be leaving nearly as much on the table.

One last point -- the Suns have overachieved this year, but as Bledsoe has played in fewer than half of the team's games, it is not clear how much of that achievement is due to him.  It may very well be that the Suns wouldn't mind trading him and adding a player who could help them more.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Rondo's offense has been suspect and his defense none existent. Any GM would have the be watching him very closely. He seems to be running the floor well. But quickness is not there yet.