Author Topic: If we get a top 3 pick, would you trade Rondo for another top 5 pick?  (Read 6166 times)

Re: If we get a top 3 pick, would you trade Rondo for another top 5 pick?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The thread title is very misleading.

It should read "would you trade Rajon Rondo, Jeff green, and two first round picks for a top-5 pick and McLemore".

In that instance, I absolutely would not.
It's really Rondo, Green, and two firsts for a 4th or 5th pick, a crappy player in Mclemore, and a ton of filler from a bad roster.

Mclemore has a PER of 7.  Offensively and defensively he's got mid-300s rankings on point per possession which is another way of saying he sucks. Shooting under 37% has a way of screwing with your stats. Got plenty of potential no doubt since he still has a pulse.

What filler would we have to take back to dump Rondo and Green's 20+ million? Trade machine says Rudy Gay works and he's gold compared to most of the crap on their roster.

I hate this trade.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

It should read "would you trade Rajon Rondo, Jeff green, and two first round picks for a top-5 pick and McLemore".

It's really Rondo, Green, and two firsts for a 4th or 5th pick, a crappy player in Mclemore, and a ton of filler from a bad roster.

Mclemore has a PER of 7.  Offensively and defensively he's got mid-300s rankings on point per possession which is another way of saying he sucks. Shooting under 37% has a way of screwing with your stats. Got plenty of potential no doubt since he still has a pulse.

What filler would we have to take back to dump Rondo and Green's 20+ million? Trade machine says Rudy Gay works and he's gold compared to most of the crap on their roster.

I hate this trade.

I concur with the sentiments expressed here.

Rondo is easily the #2 best player from his draft.  You are only going to _hope_ that whomever you get at #5 this year turns out to be close to that valuable.   Mclemore, similarly, is all hope and promise as to whether he'll be as productive a wing Green.    You are trading the value of those two players for the potential to hopefully develop two similar value players.   And you've traded from two positions where we don't have depth (PG, SF) for a position where we do have at least SOME depth (SG).   So the trade already looks bad. 

And then you throw in the two future picks?

Mark my vote down as a "no thanks".
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
No one is going to move a top 5 pick for Rondo based on his post-injury production to date.

Will. Not. Happen.

I don't know Coach, last year the Sixers got Noel (#6) plus another top 5 protected lottery pick for Holiday and the 42nd pick.

Now you could split hairs and say that Noel was actually a #6, not a top 5 pick but this is not all that much different than getting say #5 this year and a top 10 protected in the future for Rondo and a second rounder.  Or maybe Sac #5 plus McLemore or something like that.

And that is assuming that Rondo returns about the same value as Holiday where many would argue that Rondo has higher value than Holiday, even post injury.

I actually think trades like this might be out there and if they are, I hope they are considered.

I am not sure how much difference it makes whether we get a top 3 pick or not with our own.  Trading Rondo for youth/picks seems like a completely separate consideration.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:38:25 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No one is going to move a top 5 pick for Rondo based on his post-injury production to date.

Will. Not. Happen.

The initally proposed trade is awful but I think Sacramento absolutely would be interested in trading the 2nd or 3rd pick, Isaiah Thomas and filler for, say, Rondo and the 18th pick.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 03:52:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I hate this trade.

I concur with the sentiments expressed here.

Rondo is easily the #2 best player from his draft.  You are only going to _hope_ that whomever you get at #5 this year turns out to be close to that valuable.   Mclemore, similarly, is all hope and promise as to whether he'll be as productive a wing Green.    You are trading the value of those two players for the potential to hopefully develop two similar value players.   And you've traded from two positions where we don't have depth (PG, SF) for a position where we do have at least SOME depth (SG).   So the trade already looks bad. 

And then you throw in the two future picks?

Mark my vote down as a "no thanks".

The point of a trade like this is rebuilding through the draft. Everyone knows that you'd be lucky to have one of these guys turn out as good as Rondo let alone better than Rondo.

The idea is to rebuild around 2 fantastic picks from one of the best drafts in a long time while we have Sully and KO. The extra picks aren't MUST HAVES, we don't have to give up 2 first round picks but we have to give up more than just Rondo.
We don't want Green anymore so we'd be hopefully moving his deal too. Who cares what 'filler' players we have for 2 seasons of a 5 or 6 year rebuild? The point is we get 2 guys like Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid and develop them into the best that they can be and hopefully that best is better than Rondo or even perhaps a franchise level star.

Rondo is coming off injury and is a free agent in one season. Jeff Green has turned into the most  boring kind of disappointment we could ask for and a top 5 pick in this draft is a very good deal for those two.
McLemore is here nor there, but he's young and athletic and has been in the league for 1 season- he's certainly not 'bust' worthy especially after playing for the Kings train wreck.

If Danny decided that the best move was to rebuild through the draft then I don't really know what more you'd get for Rondo or how else you'd get a top 5 pick and move Jeff Green's contract....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:06:11 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Will. Not. Happen.

The initally proposed trade is awful but I think Sacramento absolutely would be interested in trading the 2nd or 3rd pick, Isaiah Thomas and filler for, say, Rondo and the 18th pick.

Mike

So you keep Jeff Green and a pick and now the trade has gone from awful awesome?
Isiah Thomas is a restricted free agent this offseason....

My perspective is that you move Jeff Green's mediocrity and his contract before it gets harder to move (while you develop your draft picks) because you're moving Rondo and you don't want anything to do with Green any more.

You can keep one of the picks- they're not set in stone but I think Sacto wants at least one of them with Rondo in return for giving up a pick in the top 5.

Filler from Sacto doesn't really matter as long as it's not too long of a contract- just don't want Thompson or a longer deal in there.

Anyway not sure how the premise is 'awful' lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Jeff Green is the 2nd worst contract in the NBA behind Wallace. Maybe Amare is slightly worse but Jeff Green is a borderline NBA starter give me G-Money over him any day of the week. If you can dump both of these contracts with Rondo and some how get a lottery pick on top of it I'm on board. Is everyone ready to apologize for blasting me about Rondo being a glorified Role Player as of yet? Or are some fans still delusional that he's a star player in this league?

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it would be an option to do so.

But if we get a top 3 pick, I think I'd plan to be really good in a couple years and hope to convince Rondo to stick around for the Wiggins / Parker / Embiid era.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Will. Not. Happen.

I don't know Coach, last year the Sixers got Noel (#6) plus another top 5 protected lottery pick for Holiday and the 42nd pick.

Now you could split hairs and say that Noel was actually a #6, not a top 5 pick but this is not all that much different than getting say #5 this year and a top 10 protected in the future for Rondo and a second rounder.  Or maybe Sac #5 plus McLemore or something like that.

And that is assuming that Rondo returns about the same value as Holiday where many would argue that Rondo has higher value than Holiday, even post injury.

I actually think trades like this might be out there and if they are, I hope they are considered.

I am not sure how much difference it makes whether we get a top 3 pick or not with our own.  Trading Rondo for youth/picks seems like a completely separate consideration.
Not sure if the Holiday comparison is a good one for Rondo. Holiday is 23 and is signed to a very reasonable contract for his production through 2016. Rondo is in his late 20s, coming off a serious knee injury, and is signed for only one more year and will require a significant contract. His value is not that high. I think the Celtics would be very fortunate if they could get a top 10 pick for him without adding someone like Sullinger/future picks to the deal.

I don't hate rondo, but seeing his contract situation and the fact that the Celtics won't be good next year, I have a hard time seeing him stay here. I think we should get what we can for him and move on, either at the draft or early next season.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
When healthy, Rondo is a special player, already proven to be a championship level point guard. I see most scenarios for Danny including keeping him.  Plus I think he wants to stay here and be with the team to build a championship.  Hard to get vets who are on board.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
That Sac trade is waaaaaaay too much to give up. Ainge wouldn't do it.

Something to consider... Lakers land pick five-seven. Nash and that pick for just rondo? Still probably not enough for Ainge.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
In a heartbeat!