Author Topic: R.I.P. Kurt Cobain  (Read 3745 times)

R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:11:24 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Re: R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:47:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
R.I.P.

Nirvana was a great band.  Lord knows, he didn't live in peace.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Learning of Kurt Cobain's death is one of the few "I remember exactly where I was when I found out" moments for me. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
He is in no-way a rolemodel but he is the best example of "If you go out on top you'll become a legend."

Loved Nirvana back in early highschool. Listened to it to death and kind of ruined the enjoyment though haha. Still like it from time to time. I guess one good thing to come out of it is we' probably wouldn't have the Foo Fighters if Nirvana wasn't forced to break up.

Also is it just me or has rock as a genre completely died out? You have huge bands like System of a Down and Rage against the machine just floating around on hiatus. Probably why I switched to electronic, at least there people are still making good new content.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:47:44 AM by Smokeeye123 »

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I like some of Nirvana's music , but the true legendary singer/songwriter of the 90's was Elliott Smith . He also died under some weird circumstances with two stab wounds to the heart, but he was having a fight with his girlfriend at the time, so a lot of people question if it was really a suicide or murder .  He should have received way more attention during his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC0IWCDEpAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogg2RbPypug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f0hLC8pkBU

He was way superior with melody, harmonies and lyrics . Do yourself a favor and check him out , if you like Kurt Cobain, you will enjoy Elliott Smith .

Oh btw yesterday was also the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's death .

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Wow, 20 years - I would not have guessed it was that long.

Tragic loss of a great young talent...I still enjoy their music to this day.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was in junior high.  Remember it well.  I'd say that it doesn't feel like 20 years ago but it actually does.

That whole era (early to mid 90s) was pretty awesome with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and so on.....

Personally, I was more into STP & AIC than Nirvana although "Nevermind" was a gamechanger on the face of music at the time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
If you want a laugh watch these two Nirvana videos of them messing around. It's pretty hilarious. They told them to Lip Sync and play over a recorded track, so they made a mockery of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA

Also here is the MTV awards where they pretty much goofed around. They refused to let them play 'R--e Me' so they played the first verse to stick it to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQ4tkfysn8

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
He is in no-way a rolemodel but he is the best example of "If you go out on top you'll become a legend."

Loved Nirvana back in early highschool. Listened to it to death and kind of ruined the enjoyment though haha. Still like it from time to time. I guess one good thing to come out of it is we' probably wouldn't have the Foo Fighters if Nirvana wasn't forced to break up.

Also is it just me or has rock as a genre completely died out? You have huge bands like System of a Down and Rage against the machine just floating around on hiatus. Probably why I switched to electronic, at least there people are still making good new content.

Rock is still very well alive, just not in the mainstream. There are still great rock bands out there like Kings Of Leon and The Black Keys who don't get as much coverage as they deserve. Part of it has to do with "Rock Stars" not really being around anymore. Part of the reason bands like The Doors and Nirvana were so popular and well known were because their front men were rebel icons (That and they made VERY good music) and for the most part a mess, the media loves that. Also, it just goes to show how massive hip hop has become.

Popular music needs someone like Kurt Cobain now a days. The guy had his problems but was well known for preaching acceptance, love and opposing materialism. Currently guys like Kanye and Jay-Z are the music icons, like it or not. And although I enjoy their music, the primary themes in a lot of their songs are material gain and excess. And that's the type of music that's being pushed on the majority of the impressionable youth of America. It's a shame. 

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Rock is still very well alive, just not in the mainstream. There are still great rock bands out there like Kings Of Leon and The Black Keys who don't get as much coverage as they deserve. Part of it has to do with "Rock Stars" not really being around anymore. Part of the reason bands like The Doors and Nirvana were so popular and well known were because their front men were rebel icons (That and they made VERY good music) and for the most part a mess, the media loves that. Also, it just goes to show how massive hip hop has become.

Popular music needs someone like Kurt Cobain now a days. The guy had his problems but was well known for preaching acceptance, love and opposing materialism. Currently guys like Kanye and Jay-Z are the music icons, like it or not. And although I enjoy their music, the primary themes in a lot of their songs are material gain and excess. And that's the type of music that's being pushed on the majority of the impressionable youth of America. It's a shame.

Not a big Kings of Leon fan but do enjoy the Black Keys.  Arcade Fire is probably the #1 band that does it for me these days.  Just amazing stuff and their live show is as good as it gets, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

Not a big Kings of Leon fan but do enjoy the Black Keys.  Arcade Fire is probably the #1 band that does it for me these days.  Just amazing stuff and their live show is as good as it gets, IMO.

Arcade Fire, in my mind, should be revered as one of the best bands this generation has to offer. Not sure I'd categorize them as "Rock" but they put out some great stuff. I think Kurt would have been a big fan. Man, it's such a shame he's gone. I think he would have dug music like that.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I always kind of wondered what would have happened to guys like Kurt Cobain and Tupac had they not died.  They went out at the top of their game, so I think a lot of people just assume they would have kept making several more classic records and continued along maintaining same level of popularity (though in reality that’s rarely the case).

Maybe Kurt Cobain would have turned into more of an Axel Rose, disappearing from the mainstream and leaving people waiting for another album for 15 years, which underwhelms.  Maybe Nirvana turns into Limp Bizkit, had a couple of big albums that a niche of a generation embraced, but then the fad passes and they kind of fade into an afterthought.  Maybe he’d be like Kid Rock and able to change and grow his sound?

Does Tupac turn into Ice Cube, no longer known for music and instead starts doing a bunch of family friendly Hollywood movies?  Or maybe he pretty much leaves music altogether, and turns into Andre 3000 doing more legit Hollywood movies, or maybe he becomes Ice T or LL starring in popular cop dramas?  Or does he turn into DMX going from the top of the game to a crack head dropping albums and single that don’t even chart?

I always wonder how their careers would have played out over  the following 10,15,20 years.  Going out when they did though definitely cemented them as legends.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think if Cobain had lived he'd've gotten into much more experimental noise type of music.  He always bristled against conventional song structure, so once he was established enough to do whatever he wanted I think he'd've done some pretty out there stuff.  Kinda like a grunge version of Radiohead's career arc.