Author Topic: Sixers (16-59) at Celtics (23-52) Game #76 4/4/14  (Read 25457 times)

Sixers (16-59) at Celtics (23-52) Game #76 4/4/14
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at 
Philadelphia 76ers (16-59) at Boston Celtics (23-52)
Friday, April 4, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #76, Home Game #39
TV: CSNNE, CSNP, NBA LP 755(DTV)/756(Xfinity)
Radio: WBZ, WPEN
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo .................................. SG: Avery Bradley

C: Kris Humphries

SF: Jeff Green ....................................... PF: Brandon Bass

Celtics Reserves
Joel Anthony
Chris Johnson
Phil Pressey
Chris Babb
Jared Sullinger
Kelly Olynyk
Jerryd Bayless

Injuries
Avery Bradley (Achilles) day to day
Keith Bogans (personal) out
Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Gerald Wallace (knee) out

Probable Starters

PG: James Anderson .................................... SG: Michael Carter-Williams

C:  Henry Sims

SF: Thaddeus Young  ...................................... PF: Hollis Thompson
Sixers Reserves
Tony Wroten
Elliot Williams
Jarvis Varnado
James Nunnally
Brendon Davies
Casper Ware
Jason Richardson

Injuries

Byron Mullins (ankle)  out
Arnett Moultrie (suspension)  out
Nerlens Noel  (knee)  out

Game Notes

In what may be a tank battle of epic proportions, the Boston Celtics are hosting the Philadelphia 76ers for the 3rd of 4 meetings this season.   The series is tied 1-1 with each team winning on the other's court.  They will meet one more time on April 14 in Philadelphia. 

These two teams have combined to lose 39 of their last 41 games.  Let that sink in for just a few minutes.  The Celtics have won just one of their last 12 games and has lost 6 in a row.  The Sixers have won just 1 of their last 28 games.  The Sixers currently are the second worst team in the league, 2 games behind the Bucks.  The Celtics are currently tied with the Utah Jazz for the 4th worst record, two games behind Orlando for the 3rd worst record. 

Both teams are out of the playoffs and are vying for lottery position.  The first time these two teams met at the Garden, Evan Turner hit a game winner at the buzzer to give the Sixers a one point win.  Evan Turner has since been traded to the Pacers and the Sixers and so won't be a problem for the Celtics in this game.   

Avery Bradley said that he hopes to play in this game after missing the last game with an Achilles injury but he is considered a game time decision.  If he can't go, expect Jerryd Bayless to once again get the start in his place.  Perhaps after one of the worst losses of the year, Brad Stevens may decide to shuffle the lineup a bit more, but my guess is that he will stick with the same starters.

vs
Avery Bradley vs Michael Carter-Williams
Carter-Williams is in the running for rookie of the year. He has been one of the bright spots for the Sixers this season, averaging 16.6 points, 6.1 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.9 steals per game.  Carter-Williams will have family in the stands and so will be looking to have a big game.

vs
Jeff Green vs Thaddeus Young
Young is averaging 18 points, 6.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.2 steals per game.  Green will need to keep Young from having a big game while trying to contribute for the Celtics on the offensive end. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - As always, defense is key to winning. The Celtics have been slipping on defense and allowing teams to score way too many easy baskets, especially in the paint.  They allowed the Wizards to shoot 62.5% and that isn't going to win many games.  They must make defense a priority. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics tend to turn the ball over way too much. They need to keep their focus and make smart passes and avoid the costly turnovers that almost always lead to a score for the other team.

Rebound - Rebounding is mostly effort and desire and when the Celtics put the effort on the glass it usually shows up in other areas also. They have to rebound on both ends to keep the Sixers from getting second chance points and to give themselves more chances to score.

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to stay aggressive. They have to be more aggressive going to the hoop and not settling for outside shots, especially if they aren't falling. They have to be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls, and in going after rebounds. They have to be the team that wants it more.  With the Sixers, that might not be all that hard. 

Run - The Celtics have to run on every possession. Too often they walk the ball up the court. When they run, they get easy shots before the defenses set up. They have to set the pace right from the beginning and keep it up through the final buzzer.

X-Factors
Pride and Ping Pong Balls
Will pride win over ping pong balls?  That is the question. 

Re: Sixers (16-59) at Celtics (23-52) Game #76 4/4/14
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

(TP FL)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Enjoy this game with a nice glass of

The preferred beverage of miserable, lottery-obsessed fans everywhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Enjoy this game with a nice glass of

The preferred beverage of miserable, lottery-obsessed fans everywhere.

And for the optimistic fans if the Celtics lose....

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
See, this is one of those games that makes me hate tanking. It's happening on a Friday Night. It starts at 7:30 on a Friday Night. I could go out. I could do things. I could catch up with friends, go grab some drinks, or whatever.

And this season, I'm going to do that. Because watching bad basketball sucks, and I have better things to do. I don't need to see any more player development. I've seen 74 games of player development. I don't need to sit at my computer and refresh tankathon. I hope we win, but I'm not going to care if we lose.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:55:35 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Didn't Nerlens Noel mentioned something happening on 4/4/14?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:13:07 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
This one is going to be ugly. Like a 37-32 final. Towel boys are going to see some court time tonight...Reminds me of the South Park episode "the Losing Edge" where all of the kids try to lose Little League games on purpose.

On a side note, I can see my apartment in the TD Garden photo  :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:27:36 AM by McHales Pits »
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
How about ...

Danny just not send the players on the court to protest Philly blatantly throwing away the entire season.

Tankng a few games at the point of no return is one thing.....but this Philly team....was doing good, and threw away 85 % of the season when they discovered they were not actually so bad. 

The GM should be banned from the NBA

If all the team s did this to them,  it would un tank them . ;D

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »

fitzhickey

Who the heck is Henry Sims??

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Who the heck is Henry Sims??

Salary filler from the Spencer Hawes trade.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This one is going to be ugly. Like a 37-32 final. Towel boys are going to see some court time tonight...Reminds me of the South Park episode "the Losing Edge" where all of the kids try to lose Little League games on purpose.

I think it'll be more "no defense" ugly, at least on Philly's side.  I can live with that more than a rock fight.

Agree with the South Park comparison - in this game Philly will be the team the boys played that was breathtakingly awesome at losing on purpose.  We just need a drunken Tommy to get us the forfeit by fighting a Sixers fan.   :)

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Both teams forfeiting the match would have been one of my cheesy BOLD PREDICTIONS. However what I will go with is a career night for Chris Johnson, in points and on the boards, a 1st triple double of the season for Rondo and 20 rebounds for Mr. Sullinger 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Babb. 16 points

Johnson. 20 points

Pressey.  18. And 14 assists

Even Anthony scores a double double.  10 and 10

Sully falls asleep on the bench

Rondo takes in a Movie on a IPad

KO goes for food for the bench

Bass ......still is bad ......always

This is worse than a D league game .

Brad Stevens gets himself ejected in fit of rage . ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:00:48 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
How many pages do you think this thread will end up being?  3?  Or is that overestimating?

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
How many pages do you think this thread will end up being?  3?  Or is that overestimating?
LOL.  This is an opportunity for me to pad my post count with sarcastic comments about the tank battle, though it may be more like screaming into the wind.