Author Topic: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?  (Read 18644 times)

Re: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I can imagine a line-up like this if we get both:

PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Bayless, johnson
SF: Green, KO, Wallace
PF: Love, Sully
C: Asik, KO, Faverani

I think we can compete.

How do we get Love and Asik without giving up any of our current players?

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

naw bc i have no time for your foolishness.  Which two top 10 picks has Danny drafted (as a GM starting in 2003) and kept them??

And the answer you will find out is none.   I also never stated that pick will be certainly traded.

The way the team is playing (wanting to win)  letting Rondo play, imo shows to me they don't really care or desperate to grab Embiid, Wiggins or Parker.   Maybe they have one or two players in the top 7, they would love to get, but if they are gone or another offer comes along, they will pull the trigger for the trade. Again Danny has never drafted and kept a top 10 pick as a gm of the celtics.

That's true, you didn't explicitly say that they'd trade the pick. However, you attempted to use the anecdotal evidence that Ainge has traded a top 10 pick twice in the last 10 years as an unassailable justification for him dong so again.

Which is called an argument to antiquity, which is what I told you to google. Because it's a fallacy (that means it's a flawed way of thinking).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If we could get both Asik and Love, retain Green, and resign Bradley, I think we'd be a pretty good middle of the pack team. Probably not contenders, but a balanced talented roster. A 4 seed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think we can compete.

We can't keep all our current players, but we can keep Bradley and Green, if we move Sully, Wallace, and picks for Love (not as crazy as it sounds), and move a future pick and Bogans along with our non-guaranteed contracts for Asik.

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If we could get both Asik and Love, retain Green, and resign Bradley, I think we'd be a pretty good middle of the pack team. Probably not contenders, but a balanced talented roster. A 4 seed.

Depending on how the bench comes together, I could see that roster having a shot at being as good as the Bulls on defense with a better offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Depending on how the bench comes together, I could see that roster having a shot at being as good as the Bulls on defense with a better offense.

That's my read as well, my biggest reservations:

1) Rondo needs to be Rondo again. He's not the Rondo we knew and lovehated before, he's a solid step below that.

2) Jeff Green needs to fully commit on defense. Not half-way, not sometimes, every night.

3) It leaves us with a nonexistent bench.

The bulls aren't really deep, and I honestly don't believe there is a coach who gets more out of less than Thibs, but they have some pretty valuable depth. Taj Gibson is a starting caliber forward, above average starting caliber even. Dunleavy and Augustine have proved to be excellent role players. Outside of our starting 5, there wouldn't really be a single player above replacement value. Plus, although I think many really struggle to grasp just how much of an impact in the wins column an engaged Asik contributes, with Rondo and Bradley (and hiding Love), Jeff Green really needs to be an above average defensive talent every night to make the core 5 work.

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you

1) Rondo needs to be Rondo again. He's not the Rondo we knew and lovehated before, he's a solid step below that.

2) Jeff Green needs to fully commit on defense. Not half-way, not sometimes, every night.

The bulls aren't really deep, and I honestly don't believe there is a coach who gets more out of less than Thibs, but they have some pretty valuable depth. Taj Gibson is a starting caliber forward, above average starting caliber even. Dunleavy and Augustine have proved to be excellent role players. Outside of our starting 5, there wouldn't really be a single player above replacement value. Plus, although I think many really struggle to grasp just how much of an impact in the wins column an engaged Asik contributes, with Rondo and Bradley (and hiding Love), Jeff Green really needs to be an above average defensive talent every night to make the core 5 work.

What if you take out Bradley and add exum or wiggins at sg. Rondo-exum/wiggins-green-love-Asik I think depending on how much offense you can get from the 2 spot. (I believe both are already known as defensive standouts. You could be anywhere from the 3-5 seed. I'd like to keep Bradley and have him come off the bench or start whichever is better.
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What if you take out Bradley and add exum or wiggins at sg. Rondo-exum/wiggins-green-love-Asik I think depending on how much offense you can get from the 2 spot. (I believe both are already known as defensive standouts. You could be anywhere from the 3-5 seed. I'd like to keep Bradley and have him come off the bench or start whichever is better.

Well at that point, you're no longer really looking at anything remotely realistic, because it would be Love coming here without us sending our top-10 pick from this season.

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you

Well at that point, you're no longer really looking at anything remotely realistic, because it would be Love coming here without us sending our top-10 pick from this season.

Your right I completely forgot. What all picks would we possibly send Sullinger our 1st pick and a future first and filler? With our second first first we could maybe take a flier on grant? Not really sure what we would look at if we had acquired Asik and love
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I think we can compete.

I'm more concerned about having KO as the backup SF.

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
IMHO not very...

Maybe we'd make the playoffs, then get swept in the first round.  That would likely be the best case.

Problem here is two-fold:

1) I don't think that Love is the type of guy who can be a #1 option on a contender.  IMHO he is the perfect example of a guy who gets a lot of points because he takes a ton of shots, because he is the best scorer on a bad team.  Love has a pretty limited inside game and too many of his points come off low percentage jump shots - a 46% FG% is poor for a PF or C in this league.  Plus he is still a liability on defense.  If you want to build a contender with Kevin Love on it, then I really think he's got to be your sidekick, not your superhero.

2) Omer Asik is just plain bad.  He would not help this team in any way whatsoever.  I would rather just bring Colton Iverson back in from Europe, give him his minimum contract, and let him come off the bench.  He'll give you the same type of size and physicality that you would get from Asik, he won't give up much, if anything, on offense (since Asik absolutely sucks offensively) and he'll probably give you better shotblocking...all while saving you about $14 million.  He might give up a little bit to Asik on the boards, but probably not that much as Iverson has been an exceptionally good rebounder at the college level and this aspect usually translates well in to the NBA.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Omer Asik is probably THE worst contact in the entire NBA.  I think he is even worse than Gerald Wallace.  If he isn't worse then he's definatley right up there.

You're talking about a guy who is completely unwilling to come off the bench (see current situation in Houston) and yet is nowhere near good enough to start.

So does a trade like this improve the team?  Sure.  The addition of Asik does nothing to improve us at all.  He may even make us worse, because we'd probably have to give up some solid players either by trade of via free agency (Sully, Bradley, Green, etc) to get him.  But we'll probably win a few extra games by adding Love.  Would we contend though?  Hell no, not even close.  We'd be most likely knocked out in the first round.  Could be even worse, maybe we would just miss the playoffs.

Plus adding those two guys would also throw about an extra $25M - $30M onto our salary cap which would completely kill our cap flexibility for the future.

So at the end of the day would this be a good deal for us?  IMHO no, not at all.  I think it would be a very poor decision to make this type of move.

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2014, 08:14:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I think we can compete.

Compete for what?  The lottery? A #8 seed maybe?

Certainly not a championship. 

That is a really bad roster.  I think we might get an extra 10 wins from those roster additions if you're lucky, and an extra 10 wins would put us up around the 44% mark.  That would leave us battling with New York and Atlanta for the 8th and final playoff spot and a 1st round sweep at the hands of the Miami Heat.

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Omer Asik is probably THE worst contact in the entire NBA.  I think he is even worse than Gerald Wallace.  If he isn't worse then he's definatley right up there.

You're talking about a guy who is completely unwilling to come off the bench (see current situation in Houston) and yet is nowhere near good enough to start.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this assessment of Asik is less defensible than claiming that Isaiah Thomas was an underrated GM who deserves another chance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Asik is a lot of things but just plain bad is not one of them. He is a proven 10/10/1 type center that will s ore on lobs and put backs every game. He is an excellent initial position type defender getting opposing centers to generally start their offense from farther out from the basket than they are comfortable. He is also an excellent down low post defender as well as a very good defender on the pick and roll. He is a great team defender as well. Guys like that that can nab 10-14 rebounds every game, play that type of defense and still find a way to get a team 10 ppg while being basically offensively inept, are worth a lot of money in this league, especially if they are a true 7 feet tall with a great body frame and girth.