Author Topic: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?  (Read 18607 times)

Re: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

yeah thats what i thought. If they sign him as a FA, knicks would have the highest payroll in the league, but only for next season
They are over the cap and luxury tax and could only offer him the mini-MLE.

Do you think Lowry signs a 3 year deal for 9 million?

If Melo leaves they'll be in line to be a non-taxpayer and could sign and trade for him I guess....

How can the nets have a total salary over 100 but the knicks cant for next season?

The Knicks can have a salary over $100m next season.  They just need Bargnani to exercise his ETO, then resign him to a max contract using his Bird rights.

That sounds like a Knickly thing to do.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They are called salary numbers. You add them.

Then you get a sum. The sum of the Nets salaries comes to over $100 million. The sum of the Knicks salaries comes to just over $90 million.

LOL. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Not friendly, but TP.

edit: also, as to "Danny Ainge has never kept a top-10 draft pick."

He's only ever had two.

Come On.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html

which ones has he drafted and kept in the top 10?  Take a look at your own link

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Salary wise I don't even know how this is possible. Might be one of if not the worst offensive team in the East. Not worth trading a potential franchise changing talent to win the 6th seed.

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not very far, is my bet.

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Then you get a sum. The sum of the Nets salaries comes to over $100 million. The sum of the Knicks salaries comes to just over $90 million.

Not friendly, but TP.

He's only ever had two.

Come On.

go google "too small a sample to be worthwhile"

then google "appeal to antiquity"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not friendly, but TP.

He's only ever had two.

Come On.

go google "too small a sample to be worthwhile"

then google "appeal to antiquity"

naw bc i have no time for your foolishness.  Which two top 10 picks has Danny drafted (as a GM starting in 2003) and kept them??

And the answer you will find out is none.   I also never stated that pick will be certainly traded.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:11:42 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Danny and Wyc keep talking about fireworks in the offseason and these are likely the deals they are talking about.

Has Danny said anything of the sort?  I know Wyc has, but this wouldn't be the first time that he made off-season predictions that weren't based in reality.  A couple years ago he was claiming we'd have room for a max-level free agent, when that was all but impossible.

Again Danny has never drafted and kept a top 10 pick as a gm of the celtics.

He's only had two top 10 picks.  IMO that isn't a very big sample size to draw conclusions from.

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Fireworks" is code for "Please buy season tickets for next season there's a good chance the team will be exciting we promise!"
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
This thread illustrates why this will not be a one year rebuild IMO.  Triboy's trade offers for Asik and Love are fairly close to what I believe it would take to acquire these two players.  And it seems like most people realize that a team based around Love, Rondo, and Asik is not going to get out of the 2nd round, let alone win a title.

This team is desperately low on talent.  We need to suck at least one more year (if not two), gather some top-end prospects, and then either build around them or move them for veteran talent.

This isn't going to be a one year fix.

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This thread illustrates why this will not be a one year rebuild IMO.  Triboy's trade offers for Asik and Love are fairly close to what I believe it would take to acquire these two players.  And it seems like most people realize that a team based around Love, Rondo, and Asik is not going to get out of the 2nd round, let alone win a title.

This team is desperately low on talent.  We need to suck at least one more year (if not two), gather some top-end prospects, and then either build around them or move them for veteran talent.

This isn't going to be a one year fix.

While i agree with  some of your pts, you also can't have a team with 4 or 5 bonafide starters. How are you going to pay all of them??

If Asik, Love, Rondo is not the main trio that is going to give you a decent chance, then you might as well go onto plan 2, 3 etc.

Imo i don't think Danny is going to go through another year like this one and will do something this offseason or trade deadline
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:30:17 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Triboy's trade offers for Asik and Love are fairly close to what I believe it would take to acquire these two players.

You're probably right about Love, but I wouldn't be surprised if Asik is available for very little to a team with the ability to absorb his contract without sending any guaranteed salary back.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Triboy's trade offers for Asik and Love are fairly close to what I believe it would take to acquire these two players.

You're probably right about Love, but I wouldn't be surprised if Asik is available for very little to a team with the ability to absorb his contract without sending any guaranteed salary back.

There is really no reason for Houston to give up Asik, outside of meeting Asik's request. Look at what is happening now with Howard injured. Asik has stepped right in

Morey loves the draft. Even trading a few spots could entice him to give up Asik to us

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

There is really no reason for Houston to give up Asik, outside of meeting Asik's request. Look at what is happening now with Howard injured. Asik has stepped right in

Morey loves the draft. Even trading a few spots could entice him to give up Asik to us

Even a stat-head like Morey can appreciate the value of team chemistry. Asik is really miserable in Houston right now, and that matters.

In any case, what I'm suggesting is that there could very well be a great reason for the Rockets to give up Asik in the way I mentioned -- if they are clearing cap space by dumping Asik and Lin.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I can imagine a line-up like this if we get both:

PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Bayless, johnson
SF: Green, KO, Wallace
PF: Love, Sully
C: Asik, KO, Faverani

I think we can compete.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

If Asik, Love, Rondo is not the main trio that is going to give you a decent chance, then you might as well go onto plan 2, 3 etc.

That's what I'm saying.  IMO the quick rebuild plan will not produce a contender, so we may as well be patient and build something that could pay real dividends down the road.