Author Topic: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?  (Read 18643 times)

Re: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Imo i feel Melo is going to stay. Knicks are going to add Lowry or a much better pt guard this off season.  I mean they are really only a good pg and a couple of better bench players to do alot more damage and be a top team in the east

How, pray tell, are the Knicks going to be able to afford a point guard that's the caliber of Kyle Lowry?

bc they can. The knicks have alot of money to burn. And they will have a ton coming off the books the year after. Lowry will demand about 15 a year and knicks imo will do whatever they can do get him. Otherwise secure a guy like Isiah Thomas for cheaper who would be an upgrade to Felton
They'd have to construct a sign and trade for him and send large assets back to Toronto for Lowry, in addition to salary.

What sort of assets could the Knicks give up that are worth taking on 10-12 million in salary to give Lowry his pay day in New York?

Because they're the Knicks doesn't mean they can ignore the salary cap and the CBA.

If Toronto has no interest to give Lowry the kind of money he wants, i'm sure they can pry something off the knicks (hardaway Jr. , Shumpert ) /future picks and an expiring contract  and be satisfied.

Better than losing him for nothing. 

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
6. Along with the trades I think the C's would have to secure extensions of the contracts of both Asik and Love. Without those there are no deals because otherwise they could just leave after a year and then the Celtics have nothing to show for what they did in those trades.

There is no time to think about securing Rondo, Love or Asik. Love is also signed until 2015-2016

The celts have so many picks, that this is the kind of risk you have to take to become "relevant" again.  If you do well, all of these guys and others will want to play for you. If you stink , even if you have them locked up, they will want to leave

Worse case we resign Rondo and Asik doesn't stay, as long as we have a nice season next year, there will be more than enough decent FA's available to try to entice to join the team
Love has a player option for 2015-16. Its already expected for him to opt out and secure a 5 year deal at a higher base than he is getting that year.

The risk of losing all three players after a year is massive, especially if they have a poor season.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like the frame work but Id tweek.

Offseason moves

Trades
To Wolves: 2014 5-6th pick, 2016 1st, Jared Sullinger, Wallace, Bass
To Celtics: Kevin Love, JJ Barera, 2014 2nd round pick (42-44)

To Rockets: Jeff Green, Joel Anthony, 2014 2nd 1st
To Celtics: Asik , 2014 Rockets 1st (24-26)

Add Bradley sign and trade and a future first round pick (even a future second or another filler) for Afflalo.

I wouldn't mind resigning Humphries to a small deal if we could as well. Sign a few league minimum guys to add some depth. I think if we can get at least Love and Asik to build around Rondo you have to do it.

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Veteran/Rockets first Rounder
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

We will be seriously over the cap. Can't see that happening

Really....?

Rondo - 13 mil
Affllalo - 7.5 mil
Love - 16 mil
Asik - 8 mil (only 8 of his 15 count against the cap/payroll)
Barrea - 4.5 mil
Hump - 5mil?
Olynyk - 2 mil
Fav - 1 mil
Johnson - 1 mil
Rookie - 2 mil
2nd Rounder - 1mil
Vet  - 1.5
Vet  - 1.5

Those 13 players roughly equal to 64 million which is 6 million LESS than what our cap number is this year fielding a team that will finish with roughly 20 to 25 less wins than the team proposed above.

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
6. Along with the trades I think the C's would have to secure extensions of the contracts of both Asik and Love. Without those there are no deals because otherwise they could just leave after a year and then the Celtics have nothing to show for what they did in those trades.

There is no time to think about securing Rondo, Love or Asik. Love is also signed until 2015-2016

The celts have so many picks, that this is the kind of risk you have to take to become "relevant" again.  If you do well, all of these guys and others will want to play for you. If you stink , even if you have them locked up, they will want to leave

Worse case we resign Rondo and Asik doesn't stay, as long as we have a nice season next year, there will be more than enough decent FA's available to try to entice to join the team
Love has a player option for 2015-16. Its already expected for him to opt out and secure a 5 year deal at a higher base than he is getting that year.

The risk of losing all three players after a year is massive, especially if they have a poor season.

It's the risk you have to take.  If all of these guys were on nice long contracts, are good players, i mean who is going to want to trade them? 

Asik to me is not a guy who is looking to move around. He wanted to stay in Chicago, but the bulls didn't have the money to keep him. With Houston, i can see why he was upset as he was told he was going to be starting center and then gets replaced soon there after.  He can't expect 14 million a year but about 10 is fair. No other team i can see paying him more

Love has openly said something along the lines that it would be nice to play as a Celtic.  There are rumors that he wants to play for the lakers also.  Even if he leaves and we do give up quite a bit to get him, at least we get rid of two long contracts and have alot more picks to rebuild again.

Rondo as we all know wants to stay. But as long as Danny tries to make the team competitive, which he would in this case getting asik and love.

The other options are to just keep the picks and see where we go from there. The chances though of us landing big name FA by 2015 will be low. We will be back again to this similar situation

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Imo i feel Melo is going to stay. Knicks are going to add Lowry or a much better pt guard this off season.  I mean they are really only a good pg and a couple of better bench players to do alot more damage and be a top team in the east

How, pray tell, are the Knicks going to be able to afford a point guard that's the caliber of Kyle Lowry?

bc they can. The knicks have alot of money to burn. And they will have a ton coming off the books the year after. Lowry will demand about 15 a year and knicks imo will do whatever they can do get him. Otherwise secure a guy like Isiah Thomas for cheaper who would be an upgrade to Felton
They'd have to construct a sign and trade for him and send large assets back to Toronto for Lowry, in addition to salary.

What sort of assets could the Knicks give up that are worth taking on 10-12 million in salary to give Lowry his pay day in New York?

Because they're the Knicks doesn't mean they can ignore the salary cap and the CBA.

If Toronto has no interest to give Lowry the kind of money he wants, i'm sure they can pry something off the knicks (hardaway Jr. , Shumpert ) /future picks and an expiring contract  and be satisfied.

See my edited post, the Knicks can't sign and trade for him per the new CBA.

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

See my edited post, the Knicks can't sign and trade for him per the new CBA.

yeah thats what i thought. If they sign him as a FA, knicks would have the highest payroll in the league, but only for next season

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Offseason moves

Trades

Add Bradley sign and trade and a future first round pick (even a future second or another filler) for Afflalo.

I wouldn't mind resigning Humphries to a small deal if we could as well. Sign a few league minimum guys to add some depth. I think if we can get at least Love and Asik to build around Rondo you have to do it.

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

Really....?

Rondo - 13 mil
Affllalo - 7.5 mil
Love - 16 mil
Barrea - 4.5 mil
Hump - 5mil?
Olynyk - 2 mil
Fav - 1 mil
Johnson - 1 mil
Rookie - 2 mil
2nd Rounder - 1mil
Vet  - 1.5
Vet  - 1.5

Those 13 players roughly equal to 64 million which is 6 million LESS than what our cap number is this year fielding a team that will finish with roughly 20 to 25 less wins than the team proposed above.

good call. Forgot about Asik's deal.   If Danny could somehow make that trade work for Afflalo and get another vet PF/C , then yeah, we would be even better.   

Danny and Wyc keep talking about fireworks in the offseason and these are likely the deals they are talking about.

The way the team is playing (wanting to win)  letting Rondo play, imo shows to me they don't really care or desperate to grab Embiid, Wiggins or Parker.   Maybe they have one or two players in the top 7, they would love to get, but if they are gone or another offer comes along, they will pull the trigger for the trade. Again Danny has never drafted and kept a top 10 pick as a gm of the celtics. 

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It's the risk you have to take.  If all of these guys were on nice long contracts, are good players, i mean who is going to want to trade them? 

Asik to me is not a guy who is looking to move around. He wanted to stay in Chicago, but the bulls didn't have the money to keep him. With Houston, i can see why he was upset as he was told he was going to be starting center and then gets replaced soon there after.  He can't expect 14 million a year but about 10 is fair. No other team i can see paying him more

Love has openly said something along the lines that it would be nice to play as a Celtic.  There are rumors that he wants to play for the lakers also.  Even if he leaves and we do give up quite a bit to get him, at least we get rid of two long contracts and have alot more picks to rebuild again.

Rondo as we all know wants to stay. But as long as Danny tries to make the team competitive, which he would in this case getting asik and love.

The other options are to just keep the picks and see where we go from there. The chances though of us landing big name FA by 2015 will be low. We will be back again to this similar situation
That risk is too massive a risk to take for a team. Way too much. GMs that are not very smart or savy might take that risk, an astute businessman like Ainge never would.

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

yeah thats what i thought. If they sign him as a FA, knicks would have the highest payroll in the league, but only for next season
They are over the cap and luxury tax and could only offer him the mini-MLE.

Do you think Lowry signs a 3 year deal for 9 million?

If Melo leaves they'll be in line to be a non-taxpayer and could sign and trade for him I guess....

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think someone really needs to brush up on the ins and outs of the NBA collective bargaining agreement.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If Melo leaves they'll be in line to be a non-taxpayer and could sign and trade for him I guess....

How can the nets have a total salary over 100 but the knicks cant for next season? 

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
They are called salary numbers. You add them.

Then you get a sum. The sum of the Nets salaries comes to over $100 million. The sum of the Knicks salaries comes to just over $90 million.

LOL. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Offseason moves

Trades

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

Really....?

Rondo - 13 mil
Affllalo - 7.5 mil
Love - 16 mil
Barrea - 4.5 mil
Hump - 5mil?
Olynyk - 2 mil
Fav - 1 mil
Johnson - 1 mil
Rookie - 2 mil
2nd Rounder - 1mil
Vet  - 1.5
Vet  - 1.5

good call. Forgot about Asik's deal.   If Danny could somehow make that trade work for Afflalo and get another vet PF/C , then yeah, we would be even better.   

Danny and Wyc keep talking about fireworks in the offseason and these are likely the deals they are talking about.

The way the team is playing (wanting to win)  letting Rondo play, imo shows to me they don't really care or desperate to grab Embiid, Wiggins or Parker.   Maybe they have one or two players in the top 7, they would love to get, but if they are gone or another offer comes along, they will pull the trigger for the trade. Again Danny has never drafted and kept a top 10 pick as a gm of the celtics.

I completely agree with these two statements and see a similar plan to summer 2007 in place. I think Danny will end up trading both his first rounders this year to put us back into a contending team next year. I dont see us rebuilding from the ground up and restarting completely over. Rondo would have been traded this season.

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They are called salary numbers. You add them.

Then you get a sum. The sum of the Nets salaries comes to over $100 million. The sum of the Knicks salaries comes to just over $90 million.

LOL. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Not friendly, but TP.

edit: also, as to "Danny Ainge has never kept a top-10 draft pick."

He's only ever had two.

Come On.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

How can the nets have a total salary over 100 but the knicks cant for next season?

The Knicks can have a salary over $100m next season.  They just need Bargnani to exercise his ETO, then resign him to a max contract using his Bird rights.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference