Author Topic: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?  (Read 18642 times)

Re: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Imo i feel Melo is going to stay. Knicks are going to add Lowry or a much better pt guard this off season.  I mean they are really only a good pg and a couple of better bench players to do alot more damage and be a top team in the east

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A team headlined by Rondo, Love, Asik, plus Bradley and/or Green, would compete for the division with Toronto and Brooklyn.  45-50 wins.  Second round exit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Offseason moves

Out
AB, Humphries, Bayless, Pressey, Babb

IN
Granger - 1 year deal
no. just no.  Granger's cooked.  If I'm trading AB and a resigned Hump (not sure if we could)
I'm trading them for someone who can actually play.  Afflalo was mentioned as another option
and that would be a much better one.  he's not an all-star but certainly a capable SG

Trades
To Wolves: 2014 5-6th pick, 2016 1st, Jared Sullinger, Wallace, Bass
To Celtics: Kevin Love, JJ Barera, 2014 2nd round pick (42-44)
Overpayment plain and simple.  We traded less value for KG.  Love < KG.  Also have to gamble
Love would stick around.  based on your final roster, I have no doubt he'll be looking for a
better team.  either the 5/6th pick and Wallace and Bass or Sully and a top 8 protected 2016 pick with Bass.
Love's a scorer and rebounder but a sieve on D.  not paying top dollar for a 1-way player

To Rockets: Jeff Green, Joel Anthony, 2014 2nd 1st
To Celtics: Asik , 2014 Rockets 1st (24-26)
No, overpayment again.  Green's worth more than Asik who's just wasting away on Houston's bench.
Either Bass and the Clips pick in 2015 OR Green for Asik and their first next year.

2014 picks
24-26 pick = Cleanthony Early
42-44 pick = Thanasis Antetokounmpo
No thanks.  there's no way these guys are going to be good enough to be earning minutes on a good
team next year.  would like to get guys that are more 'ready' than 'project'

Lineup

C-   Asik, Iverson, Faverani
PF-  Love, Olynyk
SF-  Early, Antetokounmpo, Johnson
SG- Granger, Johnson, Antetokounmpo
PG- Rondo, Barera

How deep into the playoffs could this lineup go to if assembled?  Would you rather
have this lineup to have a chance in the playoffs
or not lose Sullinger, draft 2014 5-6th and 16-19 range picks and remain patient?
Team doesn't make the playoffs.  Will be back in the lottery next year and Love (and possibly Rondo)
bolt for a team that's got $ and a better roster.

only scorer is Love.  you're relying on Granger to be the secondary scorer and he's got nothing left.
you're starting a late-drafted rookie at SF and using a recent D-leaguer with a second-round rookie to
back up the ghost of Granger.  You're also relying on Iverson and Fav to backup Asik -- 2 guys that
couldn't get time on THIS team this year. 

Love can't make the playoffs now and he's on a better team than this.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The Melo "thing" this offseason will be interesting to watch.

Would the Zen Master's first act as Guru of Basketball Ops really be to trade Melo? I can't see it.
I think if Carmelo opts out and tells them he's leaving Phil will agree to a sign and trade if it means getting something back of value.

The only issue is I'm not sure if a sign and trade will be on the table if it gets that far. The team wooing Melo is likely to have cleared enough cap room to just sign him outright.

Of course. But for that to happen, I think:

1. Knicks have to fail at making a competitive financial offer to Melo
2. Melo must believe that the Knicks will be incapable of surrounding him with a supporting cast

Both of those conditions depend largely on Phil Jackson.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
How about we forget about Granger, and use the TE instead of  Green + Joel Anthony to absorb Asik? Green's a healthy wing, with reasonably versatile defence and good percentages when  he takes shots. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
How about we forget about Granger, and use the TE instead of  Green + Joel Anthony to absorb Asik? Green's a healthy wing, with reasonably versatile defence and good percentages when  he takes shots.

Yeah, I think the TE is going to be the linchpin/fulcrum of Ainge's offseason strategy.

Although if using Bogans and filler works, I'd prefer to save the TE bullet for another major acquisition.

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. I don't see Minnesota taking on Wallace's contract without a third 1st round pick. They know the C's landed 3 first for the guys who could be grandpas, Pierce and Garnett. They wouldn't take anything less for an in his prime Love.

2. I hate the picks you have of Early and Antetokoumbo. Instead of drafting for position just draft for best player available in those spots and have them on the bench because the likelihood of them being able to contribute in any meaningful way to a supposed playoff club is very small.

3. Granger is a massive mistake to invest in, never mind signing him to start. Would rather take a flyer on C.J. Miles or Xavier Henry and resign Avery Bradley.

4. I would send the picks in the trades differently. I would add a later pick, maybe best of 2018 picks(Boston/Brooklyn) in the Minnesota deal because I think you are going to need it to close the deal. I would make the 2016 pick the worst of the Boston and Brooklyn picks. I would also trade the better of the Boston/Clippers picks to Houston, keeping this year's #18 pick. I think there's going to be some good players available at 18 and possibly even a star available because they fell, that will be long gone by the 24-26 pick time.

5. I hate having Olynyk behind Love. Would rather a different type of PF backing up Love. Maybe trade KO for a different type of big man or include him in one of the trades while netting someone else coming back. Not sure but I don't like the massive duplication of skills between Love and Olynyk. Coaches need bench players that give them different options. Olynyk just provides everything Love provides, though a lot worse, and provides nothing of the skills Love doesn't provide.

6. Along with the trades I think the C's would have to secure extensions of the contracts of both Asik and Love. Without those there are no deals because otherwise they could just leave after a year and then the Celtics have nothing to show for what they did in those trades.

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Imo i feel Melo is going to stay. Knicks are going to add Lowry or a much better pt guard this off season.  I mean they are really only a good pg and a couple of better bench players to do alot more damage and be a top team in the east

How, pray tell, are the Knicks going to be able to afford a point guard that's the caliber of Kyle Lowry?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Offseason moves

Out
AB, Humphries, Bayless, Pressey, Babb

IN
Granger - 1 year deal
no. just no.  Granger's cooked.  If I'm trading AB and a resigned Hump (not sure if we could)
I'm trading them for someone who can actually play.  Afflalo was mentioned as another option
and that would be a much better one.  he's not an all-star but certainly a capable SG

Trades
To Wolves: 2014 5-6th pick, 2016 1st, Jared Sullinger, Wallace, Bass
To Celtics: Kevin Love, JJ Barera, 2014 2nd round pick (42-44)
Overpayment plain and simple.  We traded less value for KG.  Love < KG.  Also have to gamble
Love would stick around.  based on your final roster, I have no doubt he'll be looking for a
better team.  either the 5/6th pick and Wallace and Bass or Sully and a top 8 protected 2016 pick with Bass.
Love's a scorer and rebounder but a sieve on D.  not paying top dollar for a 1-way player

To Rockets: Jeff Green, Joel Anthony, 2014 2nd 1st
To Celtics: Asik , 2014 Rockets 1st (24-26)
No, overpayment again.  Green's worth more than Asik who's just wasting away on Houston's bench.
Either Bass and the Clips pick in 2015 OR Green for Asik and their first next year.

2014 picks
24-26 pick = Cleanthony Early
42-44 pick = Thanasis Antetokounmpo
No thanks.  there's no way these guys are going to be good enough to be earning minutes on a good
team next year.  would like to get guys that are more 'ready' than 'project'

Lineup

C-   Asik, Iverson, Faverani
PF-  Love, Olynyk
SF-  Early, Antetokounmpo, Johnson
SG- Granger, Johnson, Antetokounmpo
PG- Rondo, Barera

How deep into the playoffs could this lineup go to if assembled?  Would you rather
have this lineup to have a chance in the playoffs
or not lose Sullinger, draft 2014 5-6th and 16-19 range picks and remain patient?
Team doesn't make the playoffs.  Will be back in the lottery next year and Love (and possibly Rondo)
bolt for a team that's got $ and a better roster.

only scorer is Love.  you're relying on Granger to be the secondary scorer and he's got nothing left.
you're starting a late-drafted rookie at SF and using a recent D-leaguer with a second-round rookie to
back up the ghost of Granger.  You're also relying on Iverson and Fav to backup Asik -- 2 guys that
couldn't get time on THIS team this year. 

Love can't make the playoffs now and he's on a better team than this.

The trade for Love is what would take to get him. KG took alot also. But Love is much younger at this stage of his career. The wolves would of easily made the playoffs in the east.  Rubio and Pekovich have been nothing short of disappointments so far

The trade for Asik again is not going to take a slice of pie to get him.  Plus if you get him, you need to match the contract.  Green also is not alot better. He is shooting at 40 percent this year. That is horrible for a forward.   I rather have a very good Defensive starting center than a off the bench SF.

Early and the Greek kid are not top level talents in the 2014 draft. But are ready to contribute right away. Early has alot of tools to be at least a competent sf in the nba. The Greek kid like his brother is a freak. He has a 7 ft wingspan, and actually is more explosive ,quicker than his bro who has been impressive so far in the nba. He can also shoot better. We be lucky to get him in the 2nd round. 

Funny thing how everyone says, some guy from the d league. It's not like he was demoted down there. He took a different path to get to the NBA and definitely holding his own down at the d league. A very good two way player actually

Now yes, a couple of things have to "click" for us to be better than expected. But as long as the main engine pieces are Asik, Love and Rondo, that is not a bad team to work with. You got a rim protector, a top scorer, two rebounding vacuums and Rondo who still is one of the better passing pg's in the league.

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
On a semi-related note, with Howard hurt Asik now has 49 rebounds in the last 3 games.  Heck of an unintended showcase for Morey.

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

How, pray tell, are the Knicks going to be able to afford a point guard that's the caliber of Kyle Lowry?

bc they can. The knicks have alot of money to burn. And they will have a ton coming off the books the year after. Lowry will demand about 15 a year and knicks imo will do whatever they can do get him. Otherwise secure a guy like Isiah Thomas for cheaper who would be an upgrade to Felton

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think someone really needs to brush up on the ins and outs of the NBA collective bargaining agreement.

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 04:04:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

bc they can. The knicks have alot of money to burn. And they will have a ton coming off the books the year after. Lowry will demand about 15 a year and knicks imo will do whatever they can do get him. Otherwise secure a guy like Isiah Thomas for cheaper who would be an upgrade to Felton

The Knicks will have what virtually the entire league has to offer Lowry: the MLE. Nothing more.

Edit: actually, it's probably going to be the Taxpayer MLE, which is even less.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They'd have to construct a sign and trade for him and send large assets back to Toronto for Lowry, in addition to salary.

What sort of assets could the Knicks give up that are worth taking on 10-12 million in salary to give Lowry his pay day in New York?

Edit: I forgot taxpayers can't sign and trade so nm, no way to get acquire Lowry for the Knicks that I can see.

Because they're the Knicks doesn't mean they can ignore the salary cap and the CBA.

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
6. Along with the trades I think the C's would have to secure extensions of the contracts of both Asik and Love. Without those there are no deals because otherwise they could just leave after a year and then the Celtics have nothing to show for what they did in those trades.

There is no time to think about securing Rondo, Love or Asik. Love is also signed until 2015-2016

The celts have so many picks, that this is the kind of risk you have to take to become "relevant" again.  If you do well, all of these guys and others will want to play for you. If you stink , even if you have them locked up, they will want to leave

Worse case we resign Rondo and Asik doesn't stay, as long as we have a nice season next year, there will be more than enough decent FA's available to try to entice to join the team