Author Topic: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?  (Read 18647 times)

Re: How far can we go next season if we acquired Love and Asik?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like the frame work but Id tweek.

Offseason moves

Trades
To Wolves: 2014 5-6th pick, 2016 1st, Jared Sullinger, Wallace, Bass
To Celtics: Kevin Love, JJ Barera, 2014 2nd round pick (42-44)

To Rockets: Jeff Green, Joel Anthony, 2014 2nd 1st
To Celtics: Asik , 2014 Rockets 1st (24-26)

Add Bradley sign and trade and a future first round pick (even a future second or another filler) for Afflalo.

I wouldn't mind resigning Humphries to a small deal if we could as well. Sign a few league minimum guys to add some depth. I think if we can get at least Love and Asik to build around Rondo you have to do it.

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Veteran/Rockets first Rounder
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

This is a team that would do much better. Afflalo is the real thing at SG; Hump is a real thing back-up PF/C. ...although the SF position is very important... ...so that's a big question.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Offseason moves

Trades

Add Bradley sign and trade and a future first round pick (even a future second or another filler) for Afflalo.

I wouldn't mind resigning Humphries to a small deal if we could as well. Sign a few league minimum guys to add some depth. I think if we can get at least Love and Asik to build around Rondo you have to do it.

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

We will be seriously over the cap. Can't see that happening

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Granger's not going to get healthier -- he has a degenerative knee disorder. That's the opposite of "getting healthier".
You make it sound like he is in the same condition as Oden.  I'm not stating the Celts will rely on Granger to score 20 a game. That will be Love's job. But he will open up space on the floor with his shooting/scoring capability. When you need someone for defensive purposes , take him out

We obviously can't have both Early and a 2nd round pick or Johnson starting. Theb would be a nice pickup but could be costly and would want a long term deal

You're making the assumption that the Celtics are going to be able to rely on Granger to play starters minutes for a majority of the regular season.

I'm telling you that's not realistic.

nope i'm not stating that.  But 15-20 minutes is not out of the question. He is playing approx those mins today.  At worse i can't see him giving the team less than 8-12 points a game.

I think you need to focus away from Granger. He is not the main piece of the puzzle, but someone that brings scoring capabilities and vet experience to the table. You can replace him with a Jodie Meeks etc. though those kind of players will be harder to sign though

People here have been saying now if Rondo just had some help, it will be a different story. Well the help i listed above , is as good as it gets for this upcoming off season.  He will have Love to feed to,  Asik to bail him out on defense, and at worse rookies like Early, Antetokounmpo, Johnson can shoot the ball , opening up space for others to operate.

Ok. I assumed that, since you had Granger starting at the 2, he would be playing Starters minutes at SG.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Granger's not going to get healthier -- he has a degenerative knee disorder. That's the opposite of "getting healthier".
You make it sound like he is in the same condition as Oden.  I'm not stating the Celts will rely on Granger to score 20 a game. That will be Love's job. But he will open up space on the floor with his shooting/scoring capability. When you need someone for defensive purposes , take him out

We obviously can't have both Early and a 2nd round pick or Johnson starting. Theb would be a nice pickup but could be costly and would want a long term deal

You're making the assumption that the Celtics are going to be able to rely on Granger to play starters minutes for a majority of the regular season.

I'm telling you that's not realistic.

nope i'm not stating that.  But 15-20 minutes is not out of the question. He is playing approx those mins today.  At worse i can't see him giving the team less than 8-12 points a game.

I think you need to focus away from Granger. He is not the main piece of the puzzle, but someone that brings scoring capabilities and vet experience to the table. You can replace him with a Jodie Meeks etc. though those kind of players will be harder to sign though

People here have been saying now if Rondo just had some help, it will be a different story. Well the help i listed above , is as good as it gets for this upcoming off season.  He will have Love to feed to,  Asik to bail him out on defense, and at worse rookies like Early, Antetokounmpo, Johnson can shoot the ball , opening up space for others to operate.

Ok. I assumed that, since you had Granger starting at the 2, he would be playing Starters minutes at SG.

no. more like a distraction. Also unlike most rookies, is calm out there and can score points he is suppose to.  By the trade deadline if we need more help Danny also has the assets to add firepower.   After the big trades we will be bare, and will need to add salary by signing one or two vets anyways. The problem is, there aren't many good ones that likely will take a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Offseason moves

Trades

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

There's nothing wrong with going over the cap. If the trades work per the CBA, there's no problem with it. Frankly, I'm not sure if the Celtics want to be under the cap this offseason. It means shedding non-guaranteed contracts, relinquishing Bird Rights, and letting that Pierce TE expire. In short, wasting resources.

Afflalo would be a terrific get. You could then plug a low-usage defensive wing into the starting lineup, and have a very good starting five.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
That team misses the playoffs. The wing rotation is terrible. I like Early but he will be battling to make a team next year not coming in to start as a rookie. Granger is in no way a starting SG, with his current injury history he can at best be counted on as a 6th man backing up the 3 and 4.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Offseason moves

Trades

Rondo/Barrea
Afflalo/Johnson
Love/Humphries
Asik/Olynyk/Fav

There's nothing wrong with going over the cap. If the trades work per the CBA, there's no problem with it. Frankly, I'm not sure if the Celtics want to be under the cap this offseason. It means shedding non-guaranteed contracts, relinquishing Bird Rights, and letting that Pierce TE expire. In short, wasting resources.

Afflalo would be a terrific get. You could then plug a low-usage defensive wing into the starting lineup, and have a very good starting five.

Adding Affalo will be tricky. No indication Magic want Bradley though a first would entice them. Imo they look like they rather keep Afflalo to help steer the ship. Hump will command 5 million plus. And the way he has been playing, why would anyone want him back?

I understand why the poster above posted the additional ideas. But also being over the cap will cause issues in trying to resign Rondo (if thats what the plan is), Love , Asik etc.  Teams like Miami, SA don't bring on additional big names for a reason. It's not like the celts owner is like a tycoon like the nets owner either

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
That team misses the playoffs. The wing rotation is terrible. I like Early but he will be battling to make a team next year not coming in to start as a rookie. Granger is in no way a starting SG, with his current injury history he can at best be counted on as a 6th man backing up the 3 and 4.

not sure why you are focusing on these guys to be the main engine of the team.  It's like saying Miami will stink with Chalmers or Cole, when they were just drafted. Whats the point?

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Something that I just noticed:

Like Pressey, Johnson is on a fully non-guaranteed contract for next year, and knowing Ainge's MO, I'd wager that Chris Babb is too.

Add those three to Keith Bogans, and the Celtics have nearly $8 million on next year's books that can be packaged together to a team looking to slash payroll for cap space.

If, for example, Houston or Chicago are indeed looking to go full bore after Melo, those contracts could match Asik or Taj Gibson. Just sayin'.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Like Pressey, Johnson is on a fully non-guaranteed contract for next year, and knowing Ainge's MO, I'd wager that Chris Babb is too.

Add those three to Keith Bogans, and the Celtics have nearly $8 million on next year's books that can be packaged together to a team looking to slash payroll for cap space.

If, for example, Houston or Chicago are indeed looking to go full bore after Melo, those contracts could match Asik or Taj Gibson. Just sayin'.

If Boston could someone get Asik and Love, why not cut out the middleman and go full bore after Melo?  I just don't know a core of Rondo, Love, Asik and Melo is good enough to win a title, mainly because I'm not sold on Love as being something other than a supercharged David Lee.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If Boston could someone get Asik and Love, why not cut out the middleman and go full bore after Melo?  I just don't know a core of Rondo, Love, Asik and Melo is good enough to win a title, mainly because I'm not sold on Love as being something other than a supercharged David Lee.

Mike

The difference is that Love and Asik presumably both come from somewhat motivated sellers. NYK, despite all the warning flags out there, are no where near being ready to give up on keeping Carmelo, and if they aren't trading him, we ain't getting him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Mike

The difference is that Love and Asik presumably both come from somewhat motivated sellers. NYK, despite all the warning flags out there, are no where near being ready to give up on keeping Carmelo, and if they aren't trading him, we ain't getting him.

Yup. Could try to entice Melo to come over as a FA though. 

I'm not a fan of Love, Melo as individual players. But having all of them together in one team would be a load to handle for anyone.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
The Melo "thing" this offseason will be interesting to watch.

Would the Zen Master's first act as Guru of Basketball Ops really be to trade Melo? I can't see it.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Melo "thing" this offseason will be interesting to watch.

Would the Zen Master's first act as Guru of Basketball Ops really be to trade Melo? I can't see it.
I think if Carmelo opts out and tells them he's leaving Phil will agree to a sign and trade if it means getting something back of value.

The only issue is I'm not sure if a sign and trade will be on the table if it gets that far. The team wooing Melo is likely to have cleared enough cap room to just sign him outright.

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Mike

Yup. Could try to entice Melo to come over as a FA though. 
Huh? The C's will lack the sort of cap space required to sign Melo outright.