Author Topic: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?  (Read 16544 times)

Re: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If the Lakers would trade us their pick for Rondo, I think we'd have to seriously consider it.  Nash could be salary filler in such a trade.  Though the Lakers have enough cap space this summer, I think, to absorb Rondo outright.

Not much to consider. To me that's an easy trade to [not] make.

There was an error in your sentence above so I made changes to fix it for you.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If the Lakers would trade us their pick for Rondo, I think we'd have to seriously consider it.  Nash could be salary filler in such a trade.  Though the Lakers have enough cap space this summer, I think, to absorb Rondo outright.

Not much to consider. To me that's an easy trade to [not] make.

There was an error in your sentence above so I made changes to fix it for you.

Yeah, I love Nash......but I agree totally .   Although. .....he might make a nice assistant coach.

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Look up the Jazz trade last year with the Warriors where they absorbed Biedrans, Jefferson, and Rush so the Warriors could get AI.  They got 2 unprotected firsts and 2 second round picks out of that.  I think we could at least get a first round out of this type of deal.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Don't agree with trading Rondo for ponies. Horses for horses and Lakers don't have any horses. Two or three new twenty year olds? What?

Celtics have their own "college all star" team right now. Our 'young developing guys" are doing just that and the squad has a solid 23 wins to show for it. I say Ainge hangs onto to his current group of college all stars (Pressey, Johnson, Olynyk, Sully) see how they shake out and trade every pick he has for NBA proven basketball players. Guys that can jump in the air and do all the stuff this club can't do...like...well let me see where would you like to start? Score? How about a player that can hit a shot in the last 43 seconds of a game? That would have probably gotten this year's team 5 more wins.

Then, since we are going crazy, lets get a proven NBA player that can block a shot.  You know a guy that doesn't have to break his neck looking up at opposing centers. Major basketball concept: possess a center that is as tall as the other team's center.

No more ponies...none...we have our allotment of ponies who miss layups, pass to the other team, pass from open looks and get deep fried on defense.

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Just for reference, I think the whole "Boston did it the right way, Miami's scum" line of thinking is absurd.  I was just mocking it.  I don't think what KG did was any more honorable (or dishonorable) than what Bosh and LeBron did.

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Look up the Jazz trade last year with the Warriors where they absorbed Biedrans, Jefferson, and Rush so the Warriors could get AI.  They got 2 unprotected firsts and 2 second round picks out of that.  I think we could at least get a first round out of this type of deal.

I agree that the starting price should be a 1st.  Unfortunately, the Lakers have traded away about all the picks they're allowed to.  Still, I'd be fine with an unprotected 2020 or 2021 1st rounder (that's about as soon as they can trade one) if the C's weren't able to do anything better with the trade exception and salary space.  I doubt the Lakers will be able to dump him for a second or very protected first.

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I love Nash but his contract ain't the vet minimum and he's 40 years old and injury prone.
It's idiotic to take him and his contract at this stage of his career.
Let the Lakers deal with him.
We don't wan't another bad contract... *cough* Gerald Wallace *cough*

OP, are you a closet Laker fan...? LOL

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I love Nash but his contract ain't the vet minimum and he's 40 years old and injury prone.

Nash will be on a 1 year deal for roughly $9 Million. If we were to pick up a future 1st round draft pick for absorbing him then there is value there. Nash's expiring will also become an asset come next deadline so there is value there too. I would do it if the pick were unprotected.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Celtics have their own "college all star" team right now. Our 'young developing guys" are doing just that and the squad has a solid 23 wins to show for it.

There's nothing solid about 23 wins (on track for 26-27).

Sullinger and Olynyk look like nice enough players, and Bradley, if he can stay healthy, will probably be a solid role player in the league for a while yet.

It's not entirely clear that any of the younger players on the Celtics are definitely starter material.  Sullinger is probably the best bet for that, but I could see him ending up as more of a 3rd big in the rotation.  Pressey, Babb, Johnson, Faverani . . . any of these guys could drop out of the league before next season and not make it back.

Rondo is the only established above-average talent on the Celtics right now, and barring some moves to get better ASAP, he may very well leave in free agency next summer.

Bottom line: the Celtics need to add talent any way possible.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Celtics have their own "college all star" team right now. Our 'young developing guys" are doing just that and the squad has a solid 23 wins to show for it.

There's nothing solid about 23 wins (on track for 26-27).

Sullinger and Olynyk look like nice enough players, and Bradley, if he can stay healthy, will probably be a solid role player in the league for a while yet.

It's not entirely clear that any of the younger players on the Celtics are definitely starter material.  Sullinger is probably the best bet for that, but I could see him ending up as more of a 3rd big in the rotation.  Pressey, Babb, Johnson, Faverani . . . any of these guys could drop out of the league before next season and not make it back.

Rondo is the only established above-average talent on the Celtics right now, and barring some moves to get better ASAP, he may very well leave in free agency next summer.

Bottom line: the Celtics need to add talent any way possible.

I don't know about that on Sullinger, he looks like a legitimate starter and Olynyk and Bradley show some promise as above average talent. I do agree with you with the Celtics adding more talent though.

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I got an idea and it relates to this thread, the "franchise players" thread, and probaly a couple of others.

What if we did trade Rondo for Nash and a top 6 pick from the Lakers.  Then we went after getting two "franchise" players in Westbrook and Love.

We have two packages we can offer for the two players.

Package A: Green + filler, our pick (in the 2-5 range), 2015 Clippers pick.

Package B: Bass, Sullinger, Bogans, Lakers pick (in the 4-7 range) , 2016 Nets pick

Would OKC trade Westbrook for Jeff Green and a player in the Parker/Wiggins/Randle range? 

Would Minny trade Love for Sullinger and a player in the Randle/Vonleh/Smart  range?

Would the Celtics be better off keeping Sullinger and the two picks and going young?  Is Westbrook better than Parker or Wiggins? 

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Nash will be on a 1 year deal for roughly $9 Million. If we were to pick up a future 1st round draft pick for absorbing him then there is value there. Nash's expiring will also become an asset come next deadline so there is value there too. I would do it if the pick were unprotected.

Good Luck getting an unprotected first round pick.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
after reading the first half dozen posts I just thought "this is one of the most bizarre threads I have ever seen"

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 01:18:19 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Good Luck getting an unprotected first round pick.

Utah received two 1st round picks and two second round picks for absorbing Jefferson and Biedrins expiring contracts just last summer. Teams in win now mode, like the Lakers with Kobe, are willing to part with promising youth in order to sign other players. Especially since the Lakers without Nash would be able to bring in 2 max contract players to put next to Kobe this summer. I think it's a deal that could make sense for both teams who have different platforms for returning to greatness.

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
after reading the first half dozen posts I just thought "this is one of the most bizarre threads I have ever seen"

How so? Teams trading players and picks for cap relief happens annually in the NBA nowadays.