Author Topic: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?  (Read 16547 times)

Re: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Lakers aren't getting rid of Nash during our TE window. I'd bet a whole TP on it. Twice.

Anyway, there are several different rebuilding models out there. The OKC model has not won anything yet, the Houston Model has not won anything yet, the San Antonio Model has won 4 championships -- but is near impossible replicate, the LAL model seems to be less of a reality under the new CBA, the Celtics/Heat model has won 3.
I wouldn't consider the Heat and C's to have used the same model.  sure they each acquired 3 all-stars when putting together a team.  The C's did it the honorable way by trading picks, players and expiring deals while Miami did it by freeing up a ton of cap space when 2 prime FAs hit the market and colluded with their resident all star to all play together. 
C's method would be the more reliable of the 2 since it can be pulled off without being subject to the whims of FAs wanting to play with their friends

Toh-May-Toe, meet -Toh-Mah-Toe.

KG vetoed a trade to Boston, and only relented after we'd snagged Ray Allen. And, FWIW, Bosh and James were both S&T'd to Miami.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Lakers aren't getting rid of Nash during our TE window. I'd bet a whole TP on it. Twice.

Anyway, there are several different rebuilding models out there. The OKC model has not won anything yet, the Houston Model has not won anything yet, the San Antonio Model has won 4 championships -- but is near impossible replicate, the LAL model seems to be less of a reality under the new CBA, the Celtics/Heat model has won 3.
I wouldn't consider the Heat and C's to have used the same model.  sure they each acquired 3 all-stars when putting together a team.  The C's did it the honorable way by trading picks, players and expiring deals while Miami did it by freeing up a ton of cap space when 2 prime FAs hit the market and colluded with their resident all star to all play together. 
C's method would be the more reliable of the 2 since it can be pulled off without being subject to the whims of FAs wanting to play with their friends

KG vetoed a trade to Boston, and only relented after we'd snagged Ray Allen. And, FWIW, Bosh and James were both S&T'd to Miami.

But he did an "honorable" relenting, right?

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What about the fact we tanked just to get the pick we traded for Allen?

Surely we can all agree tanking is not even remotely "honorable".

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Na-POH-li, NA-poh-li...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Lakers would trade us their pick for Rondo, I think we'd have to seriously consider it.  Nash could be salary filler in such a trade.  Though the Lakers have enough cap space this summer, I think, to absorb Rondo outright.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

What about the fact we tanked just to get the pick we traded for Allen?

Surely we can all agree tanking is not even remotely "honorable".
agree on the tanking -- very distasteful that year when PP was shut down without real cause.

As for the S&Ts, please.  That's the same as suggesting Cleveland and Toronto would have traded Lebron and Bosh for what they got in those deals.  Miami had both players signed and essentially threw Cle and Tor some spare change for helping inflate the deals for Miami's prizes.

KG waiving his no-trade is a much different situation.  Boston still had to pony up some serious assets to get Minny to make that deal. 

I still see Boston's deals as the legit way for a team to pull together a collection of all-stars.  Miami's reeks of player collusion which I cannot stand.   owners are prevented from colluding, players should be too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:23:48 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Except that KG didn't have a no-trade clause when he was on the Timberwolves -- he had an opt-out for the final year of his deal. In essence, he did exactly the same thing that Carmelo did when he decided to leave the Nuggets.

I'm totally onboard with "things that Boston does/did are good, things that Miami does/did are bad," but let's not act like the Heat and the Celtics didn't amass talent in order to win each individual superstar a ring.

Here's a fun story/blast from the past:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2912075
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What would entice Ainge to do something like this?

Nothing.

I think it is an interesting idea and might make sense for both team

Go home, Laker fan, it is not a good idea for us.

Look troll, "go home" please. Last I checked I have about 2 years senority on you around here.  As if Ainge has never dealt with the Lakers in doing moves he felt could benefit the team? Pay attention and watch your mouth.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
A lot of people are talking about a move that would involve Rondo for Nash and a first-round pick. I would not do this trade. Allowing them to have Rondo at that rate combined with Kobe would allow them to sign not only another max player but also some good solid role players to go along. I don't want to make the Lakers that good.

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
If the Lakers would trade us their pick for Rondo, I think we'd have to seriously consider it.  Nash could be salary filler in such a trade.  Though the Lakers have enough cap space this summer, I think, to absorb Rondo outright.

I think the Celtics taking on Nash would be imperative for a trade like that to go through though. The idea would be for the Lakers to replace Nash's salary slot with Rondo and to still be able to go out and sign another max player.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Not much to consider. To me that's an easy trade to make.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Another thing to consider is that Miami gave up a lot to get Lebron. They had to gut their roster to open up cap space. There may not have been a trade of significant value for Lebron or Bosh, but Miami had to purge nonetheless.

The problem here is the idea that there are "models." All that matters is getting players and having them stay on your team and stay healthy. The main problem with the draft approach is whether they will stay. When you get a player like Duncan in an already stable organization, it is easy and the GM looks like a genius. Take away Duncan, and San Antonio is just a team that is well run but, like Barkley and Malone, Robinson was never able to bring a title. Popovich is also canned eventually in the situation. Get a guy like Lebron and then make some questionable free agent pickups and he leaves town. Heck, get a guy like Olajuwon and you only win when Jordan makes way.

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 01:46:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Except that KG didn't have a no-trade clause when he was on the Timberwolves -- he had an opt-out for the final year of his deal. In essence, he did exactly the same thing that Carmelo did when he decided to leave the Nuggets.

I'm totally onboard with "things that Boston does/did are good, things that Miami does/did are bad," but let's not act like the Heat and the Celtics didn't amass talent in order to win each individual superstar a ring.

If we want to be really acurate, the issue was not a one year option. The issue was whether he would sign a multi-year extension before the trade. We didn't want him for just one more season. Yes, Melo was similar in that teams wanted him to sign an extension before they would trade for him. That gave Melo and KG leverage, which is completely reasonable since every player has the right to let their contract expire and then to go to the team of their choice.

So what KG and Melo did is pretty much the same as what Lebron did minus 'The Decision'. They used their free agency status (or pending free agency status) to make sure they ended up in places where they wanted to go (or to make sure they didn't end up in places where they didn't want to go) Each player wanted to go to teams that fit what they value. For KG and Lebron, it was a clear chance to have a great team. For Melo, it was being in the biggest market.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would consider the trade.  Also, if we did it and picked say 4, 6, 15 - I would consider:

4. Julius Randle
6. Noah Vonleh
15. Elfrid Payton

Two big athletic forwards and a big, strong point guard.  Even if we got pick #3, I would want Vonleh as a PF and Payton at PG.  Those two would team up well with Wiggins or Parker.  Gives Danny a lot of flexibility because he has Olynyk and Sullinger inside.  He could do whatever he wanted with Green, Bass, Bradley moving forward.   Make the right choice in the 2015 draft and hit on a good free agent and we could be back in business. 

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

If we want to be really acurate, the issue was not a one year option. The issue was whether he would sign a multi-year extension before the trade. We didn't want him for just one more season. Yes, Melo was similar in that teams wanted him to sign an extension before they would trade for him. That gave Melo and KG leverage, which is completely reasonable since every player has the right to let their contract expire and then to go to the team of their choice.

So what KG and Melo did is pretty much the same as what Lebron did minus 'The Decision'. They used their free agency status (or pending free agency status) to make sure they ended up in places where they wanted to go (or to make sure they didn't end up in places where they didn't want to go) Each player wanted to go to teams that fit what they value. For KG and Lebron, it was a clear chance to have a great team. For Melo, it was being in the biggest market.

Well, right, the issue was that KG could opt out of his last year and hit UFA after being a one-year rental.

Now that we've got that sorted, at least we're agreeing?  ;D