Author Topic: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?  (Read 16541 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
What would entice Ainge to do something like this?

I think it is an interesting idea and might make sense for both teams:

- Lakers get more money to spend on the open market this summer.
- The Celtics meet the minimum salary requirement while picking up a player they can warm the bench, and a guy who could have value at the deadline. Plus, what kind of asset could they get?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Lakers cost for the Celtics to absorb Nash with the TE this summer?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:29:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If straight up absorption, then we will likely get a 2nd round pick.

There's an idea floating around of trading Rondo for LA's pick (if they land in the top 4) and Nash. I think I might do that trade. Hopefully we land in the top 4 as well.
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:25:32 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My estimate of the market rate for such a move is a future unprotected first-round pick, which the Lakers are unable to trade due to protections on already-traded picks.

I don't think Ainge is interested unless he plans on making a splash in the 2015 free agent market.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Boston is already above the salary floor.  No reason to make a trade to just add salary.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What would entice Ainge to do something like this?

Nothing.

I think it is an interesting idea and might make sense for both team

Go home, Laker fan, it is not a good idea for us.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
If Boston lands inside of the top 3 and the Lakers somewhere in the 4-6 range I would at least explore the possibility of dealing Rondo to LA in exchange for Nash, who would retire, PLUS whoever LA drafts in the 4-6 range and a future lottery protected #1st rounder. 

Ironically enough...because of the picks LA sent to Phoenix in the Nash S/T, I believe LA would first have to actually sign whoever they draft to a contract before being allowed to trade that player.  So this would have to be a trade agreed to in principal (like the BK trade) on draft night that wouldn't become official until July. 

Scenario looks like this. 

Lets say Boston has #3 pick and LA has #5...Boston would draft whoever is left between Parker, Wiggins and Embiid at #3.  Then at #5 Boston would have LA draft Exum or Smart. 

Exum, Nash and a 2017 lottery protected 1st rounder for Rondo.  Nash has already said he would retire.  Once he retires there is a chance of that cap money coming off the Celtics books.  The league would have to approve.  But even if it didn't it's an expiring deal anyway so that money is available after the 2015 season...

Nash I bet would end up signing on with the Clippers later in the season for 1 last run at a ring. 

Rondo teams up with Kobe.  Melo would probably sign out there as well and they would most likely retain Gasol/Hill on short-term contracts.  Lakers would be back in business with a new coach and a core of Rondo/Bryant/Melo/Gasol/Hill

Boston would have 3 rookies coming in (Embiid, Exum, Stauskus?) and I'm fairly certain that in this scenario Ainge would also make at least a couple additional trades ala Bass to a contender for a young player OR late future 1st rounder... Maybe a Green/Bradley S/T for Asik/Lin who both expire after 2015.  The goal would be to develop the young players and free up cap space for the summer of 2015/2016. 

And with the amount of picks and young talent Boston would have, it would be almost impossible this plan fails.  It would take 2-3 years before they are contenders but once they get there, they could be serious contenders for the long haul.  especially if Ainge hits on 60-70% of his future picks and/or turns the picks into established talent to push them past the finish line...It's an intriguing option

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If there is one thing we learned during Doc's tenure here, you don't win didly with rookies.  You need vets.  This blue print would be a recipe for disaster.  Ask Rick Pitino.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
This is some pretty wild speculation.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If there is one thing we learned during Doc's tenure here, you don't win didly with rookies.  You need vets.  This blue print would be a recipe for disaster.  Ask Rick Pitino.

Bingo.

Hate the idea of a) trading Rondo and b) taking on two top 5 or 6 picks in the same draft. I don't see Danny doing this having already stated this draft is overhyped.

I don't see the benefit of us trading for Nash. Unless we somehow pull in a contending team where Nash is our PG off the bench he doesn't make sense. Say we get a second rounder for taking on his expiring? Sweet I guess? I dont see him netting much at the deadline and letting him walk after next year would save us the same amount of money in the summer of 2015 as not trading for him in the first place.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Bingo.

Hate the idea of a) trading Rondo and b) taking on two top 5 or 6 picks in the same draft. I don't see Danny doing this having already stated this draft is overhyped.

I don't see the benefit of us trading for Nash. Unless we somehow pull in a contending team where Nash is our PG off the bench he doesn't make sense. Say we get a second rounder for taking on his expiring? Sweet I guess? I dont see him netting much at the deadline and letting him walk after next year would save us the same amount of money in the summer of 2015 as not trading for him in the first place.

Funny thing is, when Danny first started saying this draft was overhyped last fall, I don't think he really meant it. Now, after having watched how average these college players in the upcoming draft are, he really does mean it.

(Moral of the story - DON'T tank!)

As for Nash, I'd have to pass (nice rhythm there.) 3 years ago I would've been all for it but now he's just too old and injury prone.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:16:02 PM by gpap »

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Well said! I think many are looking at OKC as the "blueprint" for properly rebuidling and IMO that should not be the model.

First off, OKC were terrible for the first 2-3 years after they drafted Durant and as a fan I will not wait that long to see a winning team. Then, wheny they finally did get good after Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka developed, they couldn't afford all of them so they dealt Harden in what will go down as one of the worse trades in sports.

And btw, OKC has yet to win a championship.

On the other hand, the Celts loaded up on vets in 2007 and won a title in the first year of the new big 3.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Lakers aren't getting rid of Nash during our TE window. I'd bet a whole TP on it. Twice.

Anyway, there are several different rebuilding models out there. The OKC model has not won anything yet, the Houston Model has not won anything yet, the San Antonio Model has won 4 championships -- but is near impossible replicate, the LAL model seems to be less of a reality under the new CBA, the Celtics/Heat model has won 3.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Well said! I think many are looking at OKC as the "blueprint" for properly rebuidling and IMO that should not be the model.

First off, OKC were terrible for the first 2-3 years after they drafted Durant and as a fan I will not wait that long to see a winning team.
Then, wheny they finally did get good after Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka developed, they couldn't afford all of them so they dealt Harden in what will go down as one of the worse trades in sports.

And btw, OKC has yet to win a championship.

On the other hand, the Celts loaded up on vets in 2007 and won a title in the first year of the new big 3.

Completely whole heartedly agree with these statements 100%. Don't wanna wait around 2-3-4 years to see if this rebuilding plan of drafting works or not. Rather turn our assets into solid young veterans who can bring us to contention.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Lakers aren't getting rid of Nash during our TE window. I'd bet a whole TP on it. Twice.

Anyway, there are several different rebuilding models out there. The OKC model has not won anything yet, the Houston Model has not won anything yet, the San Antonio Model has won 4 championships -- but is near impossible replicate, the LAL model seems to be less of a reality under the new CBA, the Celtics/Heat model has won 3.
I wouldn't consider the Heat and C's to have used the same model.  sure they each acquired 3 all-stars when putting together a team.  The C's did it the honorable way by trading picks, players and expiring deals while Miami did it by freeing up a ton of cap space when 2 prime FAs hit the market and colluded with their resident all star to all play together. 
C's method would be the more reliable of the 2 since it can be pulled off without being subject to the whims of FAs wanting to play with their friends

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102

I would think Rick Pitino would strongly reconsider dealing Chauncey Billups away for a short term Kenny Anderson rental and dealing Joe Johnson away for an even shorter term Rodney Rodgers rental. Trading for young bucks for "vets" led to one 'interesting' but fruitless playoff run and a swift return to the cellar in the standings.

Had Pitino kept Joe Johnson and Billups to go along with Antione and Paul Pierce, he might have actually developed a really competitive squad by sticking it out.

All that said, we don't need to go all in on young guys now. We're in a much better position with Rondo & Green as solid vets, and some younger but up and coming guys in Sullinger, Olynyk and Bradley. Add to that trade chips in Hump & Bass . . . and the current situation vastly outshines the days when Pitino came on to rescue the franchise.

Also, for anyone unwilling to wait 2-3 years to have a contender . .. you might be asking a little much. Having a contender within 2-3 years is a best case scenario.