Author Topic: Eagles cut DeSean Jackson for possible gang related issues  (Read 5191 times)

Eagles cut DeSean Jackson for possible gang related issues
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10688873/desean-jackson-released-philadelphia-eagles

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

I am finding this fascinating.  One of the ESPN guys said the Eagles thought the issues were so bad, they didn't want to be the team that traded those issues to another team. 

Re: Eagles cut DeSean Jackson for possible gang related issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So much for him coming to New England. That's not happening after the Aaron Hernandez situation.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One of the ESPN guys said the Eagles thought the issues were so bad, they didn't want to be the team that traded those issues to another team.

What is this, a bad game of telephone?
The Eagles' decision to cut ties with one of the most electrifying players in club history comes after the team uncovered information about Jackson's off-field connections and activities, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. In addition, the source said, the Eagles decided to release Jackson rather than trade him to another team that might be unaware of the info.

And here's the money quotes:
Recent reports surfaced that the Eagles were looking to trade Jackson. There also had been rumors that Jackson was not a fit in the locker-room culture that first-year coach Chip Kelly was trying to cultivate last season.

Jackson was due to make $10.5 million in 2014 and was owed $30.5 million over the remainder of his contract, but none of that money was guaranteed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm not sure what to make of this.
Did the Eagles *just* find this out? Or did they make this news public only after there were no takers for him? I don't have anything against the Eagles, and I certainly don't want to let Jackson off the hook if true, but something doesn't smell quite right here....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Did the Eagles *just* find this out? Or did they make this news public only after there were no takers for him? I don't have anything against the Eagles, and I certainly don't want to let Jackson off the hook if true, but something doesn't smell quite right here....

Yeah.  The original issue seemed to have happened in 2010.  The Eagles didn't seem all that concerned over the last 3+ years.

It sounds like Jackson wasn't a great fit with Chip Kelly in the locker room, and I'm sure the alleged flashing of gang signs in games didn't help.  My guess is that the gang stuff wasn't the primary concern here, and the Eagles certainly weren't being altruistic in cutting him rather than trading him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think the Eagles would have been in trouble with the NFL for not disclosing this to another team if they traded him.  (See: Miami Dolphins/Cleveland Browns and Devone Bess).  Accordingly, another team didn't want to take the risk in a post Aaron Hernandez world (two separate murders, one occurring on his property, another with a very close friend charged raises tons of red flags.)  They didn't want him back, but they don't want their fans to think they messed up by releasing him, so they dumped their news in the process to soften the PR hit.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They couldn't trade him for anything of value, so they released him.

The fact that this piece came out 45 minutes before his release indicates one of two things:

1. They knew it was coming and gave up the wild goose chase of getting value for him.

2. Its a hit piece that they helped the newspaper put together (or just greenlighted Red Sox style) to smear a player they wanted to cut for other reasons.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
They couldn't trade him for anything of value, so they released him.

The fact that this piece came out 45 minutes before his release indicates one of two things:

1. They knew it was coming and gave up the wild goose chase of getting value for him.

2. Its a hit piece that they helped the newspaper put together (or just greenlighted Red Sox style) to smear a player they wanted to cut for other reasons.

Except why release him now?  There is no cap benefit.  There was no trade deadline.  They had loads of time to wait. 

Just doesn't make sense.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I hope the Giants sign him to stick it to the 'B'Eagles.

There doesn't appear to be anything new here to justify them releasing this information now, other than to save face.

Jackson/Cruz would be a super pair.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

There doesn't appear to be anything new here to justify them releasing this information now, other than to save face.

I don't.  Don't trust him.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
All due respect, but this is much ado about nothing.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't think there's anything there to be worried about.  I could be wrong, but haven't seen enough reported to jump to any conclusions about anything.

I wouldn't give him top dollar, but I'd pay him Nicks' money on a partially guaranteed deal.  The only concern I have would be with his ability to get along with Coughlin.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't think there's anything there to be worried about.  I could be wrong, but haven't seen enough reported to jump to any conclusions about anything.

I wouldn't give him top dollar, but I'd pay him Nicks' money on a partially guaranteed deal.  The only concern I have would be with his ability to get along with Coughlin.

I have seen how the Eagles are run for quite a while now.  I don't see why they make this move unless they know something that we do not yet.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That Chip Kelly doesn't like him?