Author Topic: if you're going to cheer for losses  (Read 1772 times)

if you're going to cheer for losses
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 61
that's fine, I guess. we all realize a higher draft pick is better for the team as we're going no where.

but if you're going to the games, how about showing a little class? and not cheer for the other team. i'm talking about the clowns cheering - "let's go raptors" at tonight's game.

I guarantee these are the same "fans" that cheered "kobe" back then and probably the same ones that became "big" celtic "fans" in '07/'08. we don't need these people representing celtic fans.

Re: if you're going to cheer for losses
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 511
Did that really happen? I had to miss the game tonight.
And when I'm rich and meet Bob Hope
We'll shoot some golf and shoot some dope

Can't read the entire thread but cone people.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 641
that's fine, I guess. we all realize a higher draft pick is better for the team as we're going no where.

but if you're going to the games, how about showing a little class? and not cheer for the other team. i'm talking about the clowns cheering - "let's go raptors" at tonight's game.

I guarantee these are the same "fans" that cheered "kobe" back then and probably the same ones that became "big" celtic "fans" in '07/'08. we don't need these people representing celtic fans.
Did that actually happen?  That's ridiculous.  I'm all for tanking, but that's just rude.  A couple of these guys might still be on our team the next time we're relevant.

Also, I find it hard to even watch the games this season.  If I lived in Boston, I'd probably have a hard time paying to see games with a pro-tank mindset.

Can't wait for this season to be over.   I wish I could fast-forward to the lotto.  I was thinking that yesterday... "man... slipping into a coma would suck, but that would be kinda cool to wake up and have the 2013-14 Celtic season over with already..."   But it's a slippery slope... cuz then it's like "Man... maybe I should just extend out my hypothetical coma until "Batman vs Superman" comes out"... then before you know it... I'm Rip Van Winkling myself until JJ Abram's new Star Wars trilogy is finally out on Blu-ray.  Where does it end?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:57:52 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 74
It's not that anybody [who is actually a fan] is 'cheering' for losses, it's that we just don't want to overplay veterans to grind out a win. Wins are pointless right now, which is why we should be seeing what we have in our younger players and working on plays/situations that may benefit us in the future. Why Olynyk only manages to play 21 mins (or less!) is beyond me. If ever there was a time to let this guy play until he can't walk...

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:22:03 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 644

You do realize that Lakers fans can buy tickets to games, as can Toronto fans. It wasn't Celtics fans cheering for Kobe. I was at the LAL @ BOS game in 2006-2007 and there were Lakers fans everywhere. Why would you think that Celtics fans would be cheering Kobe? Really?

If you are such a real fan, but tickets. If not, live with the fact that fans of the visiting team will snatch up empty seats. It doesn't take many of them to start a chant.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 213

You do realize that Lakers fans can buy tickets to games, as can Toronto fans. It wasn't Celtics fans cheering for Kobe. I was at the LAL @ BOS game in 2006-2007 and there were Lakers fans everywhere. Why would you think that Celtics fans would be cheering Kobe? Really?

If you are such a real fan, but tickets. If not, live with the fact that fans of the visiting team will snatch up empty seats. It doesn't take many of them to start a chant.

Exactly.  I live in DC and go to the games when the C's come to town.  This year it hasn't been as rowdy, because the Celtics are down and the Wizards are up, but some games in the past, including last year's home opener for the Wizards, it's been near a 50-50 split, and there were many "Let's go Celtics" chants during the game. 

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• NCE
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 485
Yup...when you have a bad team, and the season is ending with little hope but anything but lottery dreams people in the seat change.

Closet fans of the playoff teams from other cities that may live in Boston or near enough to it , will come out and cheer for their teams .  I think this good .   They fit up vacant seats and are there to absorb entertainment too.   
Other fans have a turn when the C's are down.  ....that's fair.....they are buying tickets too.
Because they live near or in Boston doesn't mean they have to be Boston fans .

While I'm a hesitate fan of throwing in the towel this season ,  I agree it is in poor taste to harass the home team to loose in person.

But ....I believe history points out people cheered for the tigers to eat humans in the Roman Colosseum.

It's in poor taste , but they did pay their money to cheer as they please.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 190
It's not that anybody [who is actually a fan] is 'cheering' for losses, it's that we just don't want to overplay veterans to grind out a win. Wins are pointless right now, which is why we should be seeing what we have in our younger players and working on plays/situations that may benefit us in the future. Why Olynyk only manages to play 21 mins (or less!) is beyond me. If ever there was a time to let this guy play until he can't walk...

bingo. i never pull for the celtics to lose. but we have come too far not to complete this tank job now. play the bench guys to finish out the year.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 2211
Can't wait for this season to be over.   I wish I could fast-forward to the lotto.

couldn't agree more.

love to watch the C's but knowing it's all coming down to the lottery I just want it to get here and get our slot determined and over with.  unfortunately, still have to wait over a month until the actual draft.  won't care what happens in the playoffs as long as Miami gets knocked off somewhere along the way

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 605
Tank or no tank I just can't bring myself to be rooting against the Celtics when they are playing. It is definitely part of the reason I haven't watched as much this year as I usually do. Its really tough to watch your team struggle. I know the more ping pong balls the more benefit we will have but I just can't bring myself to root for the Celtics to lose.
DKC: GM Boston Celtics: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuCTllmkG26udHRaa0xrWm1qZTExaHltaEdtZzVRNFE&usp=sharing#gid=50
PICK 2: Trail Blazers
PG: Lillard/ReggieJackson
SG: D. Green/Miller/Wroten
SF: Leonard/Prince
PF: Aldridge/Diaw
C:  Noah/Birdman/Perkins

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree, pearljammer.  It is also hard to listen to others who hope for higher ping pong balls, when you really do not agree with the tank mentality.  I don't remember this wish for failure even during the lean years before KG/RA.  I remember still cheering for the team to improve and win.  I  remember some who were dead set against losing Al Jefferson (the future) and others at that time.  I also remember travelling to 2007 Las Vegas to cheer for rookies Big Baby Davis and (I think it was) Gabe Pruitt play.  Fun trip.  Now people are very vocal in their quest for the bottom...Is there another business that thinks the way to the top is to bottom out?

I have been angry with players (notably BBD) but I can never remember hoping for their failure while they were a member of the Celtics.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Bill Walton

yes I do. and while that may have been the case. these chants seemed kind of sarcastic to me as they started up when the Celtics started making a come back.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:27 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Bill Walton

I don't believe in giving mins to someone just give 'em mins. i'd rather see them earn it.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 154
I agree, pearljammer.  It is also hard to listen to others who hope for higher ping pong balls, when you really do not agree with the tank mentality.  I don't remember this wish for failure even during the lean years before KG/RA.  I remember still cheering for the team to improve and win.  I  remember some who were dead set against losing Al Jefferson (the future) and others at that time.  I also remember travelling to 2007 Las Vegas to cheer for rookies Big Baby Davis and (I think it was) Gabe Pruitt play.  Fun trip.  Now people are very vocal in their quest for the bottom...Is there another business that thinks the way to the top is to bottom out?

I have been angry with players (notably BBD) but I can never remember hoping for their failure while they were a member of the Celtics.

before this year, i've never rooted for a tank either. But I think the main difference between this year and the lean years before the big 07 offseason was the type of players we had. It was easy to root for the guys in 07 because I honestly thought a lot of our young guys then had promise, particularly Big Al, TA, DWest, Gomes, Rondo and G-money. Those guys made it easy to not root for losses. Plus, we had the Truth, my favorite player.

Compare that with this year's roster where instead of Paul Pierce, we have Rondo. RR is definitely an allstar but unlike Pierce, he has glaring holes in his game which make me uncomfortable building the franchise around him.

The only up and coming "youngsters" who I like are Sully and Bradley (who i like simply because i like defensive guards). Meanwhile, the rest of the roster feels like just a bunch of contracts and spare parts who aren't here for the long term, including Hump, Bass, Crash, Green, Pressey, Vitor, Bayless and Bogans. KO is ok, but i'm not a fan of him either.

it's hard to get emotionally invested in players who you think will likely be gone soon. Meanwhile in 07, it seemed like the course was the "develop the young guys" because they were here for the long haul.

Just my 2 cents
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 511

it's hard to get emotionally invested in players who you think will likely be gone soon. Meanwhile in 07, it seemed like the course was the "develop the young guys" because they were here for the long haul.

Just my 2 cents

Totally agree.
And when I'm rich and meet Bob Hope
We'll shoot some golf and shoot some dope

Can't read the entire thread but cone people.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.