Author Topic: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big  (Read 12541 times)

Re: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Embiid just declared for the draft so lets just draft him :)

No wait LooseCannon and LrBrd33 totally told us he was going to be staying for another year...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Embiid is NOT going to be any immediate help.

He is too thin, and too injury-prone.

He has tremendous potential - but we all know that potential doesn't always translate into reality.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's playing limited minutes, but he's been pretty darn effective in those minutes.  The guy can still play.

Maybe the whole reason he is effective is the limited minutes.  More minutes could mean his injuries flare up or he breaks down.

I never bet on a boxer with a glass jaw, why should we bet on a ballplayer with glass legs?  I am glad he is getting time on the court lately, as his story is tragic.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

He has tremendous potential - but we all know that potential doesn't always translate into reality.

C's land him he would be the starting C from day one. He is not that far off and his frame isn't that small. Already carries about 250lbs, he will be the best player out of this draft.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
Him going pro is a no brainer! He needs to get on a program ASAP!  As long as his back checks out, which he seems it will. He is the top pick. There are only a handful of people on this planet that are 7'0 and as gifted as he is. When one enters the draft you take him. When he was on the court this year he was the most dominating force in college basketball and at the rate he developed its apparent that he can take coaching and apply it to his craft. I am not worried about his body breaking down.  Once  he gets with a team they will have him on the right path. In terms of diet, working out etc...if the C's get the number one pick I would hope DA would take him.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 06:32:41 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
C's land him he would be the starting C from day one. He is not that far off and his frame isn't that small. Already carries about 250lbs, he will be the best player out of this draft.

I agree with you that if he stays healthy he will be the best player out of this draft.  If he lands on the C's though, I hope they sign another NBA quality center so that they can manage his minutes carefully in year 1.  Between the back issues, his somewhat thin frame, and the jump from a 30 game schedule to an 82 game schedule I'd like to see them bring him along on the slow side, with priority #1 being ensuring that his body develops to be able to sustain the abuse and wear and tear it will face in the NBA.

I think because his skills are so high, there will be the temptation to play him more than they should early in his career and I hope the priority is on sound physical development of his back and body first.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If we get Embiid, I'd be bullish on how good a player he could be for us a couple years down the road.

But I agree, in his first season I think Embiid would probably be rested heavily, play relatively short minutes, and probably end up averaging less than 10 points and less than 8 rebounds.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Him going pro is a no brainer! He needs to get on a program ASAP!  As long as his back checks out, which he seems it will. He is the top pick. There are only a handful of people on this planet that are 7'0 and as gifted as he is. When one enters the draft you take him. When he was on the court this year he was the most dominating force in college basketball and at the rate he developed its apparent that he can take coaching and apply it to his craft. I am not worried about his body breaking down.  Once  he gets with a team they will have him on the right path. In terms of diet, working out etc...if the C's get the number one pick I would hope DA would take him.
Trailblazers took Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. How did that work out?

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

Excellent for Bowie.

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Yes that didn't workout but Shaq, Duncan, Ewing, Dream and Robinson worked out ok for their teams?  It's easier to find a small forward or guard than it is to find a dominate big man.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

fitzhickey

Yes that didn't workout but Shaq, Duncan, Ewing, Dream and Robinson worked out ok for their teams?  It's easier to find a small forward or guard than it is to find a dominate big man.
There is truth in that bigs are rarer, but they also have more bust potential. They seem to be more injury prone, due to the extremely physical nature of a centers game and the strain their joints due to their size and weight.

If we are in the position to pick Embiid, we really should. Him next to Sully long term is awesome.

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »

Offline badax33

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I strongly disagree on Asik. 
The guy is a dominant defensive player. 
He can guard post players, the PNR and is a shot blocker.  He's also a good defensive rebounder and a very good offensive rebounder.
I suggest trading Jeff Green and our lottery pick for Asik and Houston pick (25 ish)  unless we get a top 3 pick, that changes things, but I expect to get the 4-6th pick which isn't as valuable in my mind.
I know people say too high, but defense wins games and championships.  Also, it's very unlikely that our lottery pick is dominant at anything.  Adding more young players delays our contending.  Although, I guess we all know that Danny is going to pull the trigger on a big deal sooner than later.
Next, I'd try and work a S&T for Loul Deng.  Reports are he's not happy with the poor atmosphere in Cleve.  We have a 10.3M TPE and I'd try to get him at that amount for 4 years and give Cleve Lac 1st round pick and a second first round pick.  BTW, that's the same deal Cleve got for Lebron.
That would give us Asik, Deng, Sully, Rondo and Bradley.  That's a pretty decent starting 5, we still have a decent bench - Bass, Olynck, Pressey, Johnson, Wallace and 2 first round picks.  Could use some more shooting, which should be available in the market.
I feel this is a playoff team and then maybe Danny can pry away KLove or Al Horford during the season for Sully/Olynck and picks.  Horford is probably a pipe dream but I'd expect Love to be in play, especially if Minn starts off slowly next year.
By being a good team, Asik, Rondo and Love (or Sully) are much more likely to stay than explore the FA market. 

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Embiid just declared for the draft so lets just draft him :)

No wait LooseCannon and LrBrd33 totally told us he was going to be staying for another year...

No, I just said it wasn't a guaranteed thing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would argue that Bass and Humphreys are both FAR better players than Asik. 

Asik is just a really, really bad player.  His only real upside is that he is a very good rebounder...but so is Hump.  IIRC both Bass and Hump have blocked more shots (per 36 minutes) than Asik has this season, so the whole 'reputation as a rim protector' think really perplexes me with Asik.

Plus Hump and Bass are obviously both infinitely better on offense.

Given the choice of Hump vs Asik at the same price, I'd take Hump any day. He's more skilled, he plays harder and he has a better attitude.

To lump Humphries and Asik together as "very good" rebounders is to understate how good Asik is.  Humphries is a good rebounder, but the gap in rebounding ability between Asik and Humphries is still significant.

Shot blocking isn't the only aspect of rim protection.  Because it shows up in the box score and is easily quantifiable with highlight reel examples, it gets overrated in the same way that steals can be overrated as a measure of defense.

Asik is a good enough defender that I wouldn't see a problem with someone claiming that Asik is the best defensive player on the Rockets roster.

He is an elite rebounder who is capable of leading the league in rebounds.  He is an elite defender who is capable of winning Defensive Player of the Year (if you let him anchor the defense on a high-profile contender).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I strongly disagree on Asik. 
The guy is a dominant defensive player. 
He can guard post players, the PNR and is a shot blocker.  He's also a good defensive rebounder and a very good offensive rebounder.
I suggest trading Jeff Green and our lottery pick for Asik and Houston pick (25 ish)  unless we get a top 3 pick, that changes things, but I expect to get the 4-6th pick which isn't as valuable in my mind.
I know people say too high, but defense wins games and championships.  Also, it's very unlikely that our lottery pick is dominant at anything.  Adding more young players delays our contending.  Although, I guess we all know that Danny is going to pull the trigger on a big deal sooner than later.
Next, I'd try and work a S&T for Loul Deng.  Reports are he's not happy with the poor atmosphere in Cleve.  We have a 10.3M TPE and I'd try to get him at that amount for 4 years and give Cleve Lac 1st round pick and a second first round pick.  BTW, that's the same deal Cleve got for Lebron.
That would give us Asik, Deng, Sully, Rondo and Bradley.  That's a pretty decent starting 5, we still have a decent bench - Bass, Olynck, Pressey, Johnson, Wallace and 2 first round picks.  Could use some more shooting, which should be available in the market.
I feel this is a playoff team and then maybe Danny can pry away KLove or Al Horford during the season for Sully/Olynck and picks.  Horford is probably a pipe dream but I'd expect Love to be in play, especially if Minn starts off slowly next year.
By being a good team, Asik, Rondo and Love (or Sully) are much more likely to stay than explore the FA market. 

I just can't see paying all that much to acquire Asik when the C's are still so far away from contending.  Young talent acquisition is a bigger priority.  If he's the long-term answer at center I'd just assume throwing cash at him in free agency in 2015 instead of giving up a pick now for the privilege of paying him $15M next season before he walks as a UFA next summer.

That team listed to me maxes out at 45 - 47 wins and doesn't really give us the opportunity to grow into a squad that can compete with the likes of the Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and about 9 teams in the West.