Author Topic: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big  (Read 12598 times)

Re: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Would anyone offer any part of the mid level exception for someone like Greg Oden or Emeka Okafer?

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Would anyone offer any part of the mid level exception for someone like Greg Oden or Emeka Okafer?

Absolutely. 

I especially like the sound of Okafor.  He's a rim protector and a strong rebounder who is also a capable finisher around the basket, and he could probably be acquired for a reasonable price. 

Far better option than someone like Asik who is zero shot-blocking threat, an offensive liability, way overpriced and has a poor attitude.

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It depends on what you have to concede in a trade for a rim protector and if you can actually get one in the draft. Washington traded their 1st (#16 subject to change) for Gortat and that is looked at as a win for Phoenix even though Gortat is averaging 12 and 9.

Rim protectors are at a premium, you have to empty the cupboard for one unless they're unproven (which is why I was dumbfounded when posters here didn't like the KG and Doc for DeAndre and a 1st trade) or there's 2 on 1 team (Howard+Asik and Sanders+Embiid?).

If Asik is made available for 1 or 2 of Bass/Wallace/Humphries/Bayless/2nd round picks, he should be the target. If Houston demands an asset, you hold or move on (like what happened in December). Asik is a good player, but if you have to give up anything more than the Clippers 2015 1st, you're giving up too much value for Asik on a 1 year $15M contract in a Rockets situation that he's not going to be in past 2015.

If Sanders is made available for BKN's 2014 1st and/or LAC's 2015 1st, he should be seriously considered.

If the Celtics brass thinks they can draft one that can be better than those 2 in the near future, you draft him.

Why?

I would argue that Bass and Humphreys are both FAR better players than Asik. 

Asik is just a really, really bad player.  His only real upside is that he is a very good rebounder...but so is Hump.  IIRC both Bass and Hump have blocked more shots (per 36 minutes) than Asik has this season, so the whole 'reputation as a rim protector' think really perplexes me with Asik.

Plus Hump and Bass are obviously both infinitely better on offense.

Given the choice of Hump vs Asik at the same price, I'd take Hump any day. He's more skilled, he plays harder and he has a better attitude.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Oden is healthy enough to play 30+ minutes, I give him the full MLE easily.

He's playing limited minutes, but he's been pretty darn effective in those minutes.  The guy can still play.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
One observation, I think people in this post are looking at the term "Rim Protector" to mean players who will play great defense and prevent their man from penetrating to the rim. Its my understanding that when Ainge is refers to a "Rim Protector" he is talking about a big man who is capable or rotating away from his man in the paint and preventing easy high percentage baskets. I have noted in other posts that these are typically big men with at least average mobility and standing reaches over 9'2".

Examples in current NBA: D Howard, L Sanders, Asik, KG, Duncan

Examples in the past: Russell, Hakeem, Wilt, Mutombo, Shaq, Mourning, Ostertag, Smits

I agree but how do u forget maybe the best rim protector in the league right now.....HIBBERT! Not to mention Ibka and i know he is young but unibrow might be leading the league in blocks :-)

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50:09 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Honestly those names are not very exciting to me (Oden, Asik, Okafor) but it just shows how tough it is to find a defensive big man who also has a modicum of offensive ability. That's why you still have to consider Embiid with the first pick unless there's a Durant or LeBron can't miss wing guy available the same year. I'm not sure Wiggins or Parker qualify though I think both will be quality players.

Unless they are fortunate enough to draft Embiid I wonder where they get a good enough C unless they trade for Marc Gasol. The pace of the rebuild is going to depend largely on how long it takes for them to acquire or develop a capable 5.

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It seems the really bad teams get all the centers .

Only to lose them to the Lakers in a few years .

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:24 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

Yes. I prefer something like this over trading a first round pick for Asik. My 1st choice would be to luck out and draft Embiid but even with or without him I'd like one of Okafor, Mozgov via trade, or Oden. Sanders is also interesting, but probably in a different price range from the other 3.

Depending on how he finishes this season, Oden might be the most interesting option for the Celtics longer-term. We'd have to temper expectations for next season though. I say he probably couldn't be expected to play more than 20 minutes per game on average at most. But over a 2 to 3 season time frame if that 20 minutes stretched to 30 minutes he'd be an ideal rim protector to continue to develop along with the rest of this young team. Obviously, for this to happen it would also require a major change in his injury tendencies to support the minutes expansion but if he's cheap enough it would be worth the risk.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Aren't the Celtics always in search of a rim protecting big? We just can never get one.

I would add Harrell to the list of potential rim protecting big. I know he is only 6' 6''...(or 6' 8'' depending on what website you look at) but with the standing reach of 8' 11'' and his crazy athleticism he might be able to make a difference even though he is undersized.

Okafor would be a great pick up for the MLE however, Im not sure if he would be able to stay healthy.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
STATS

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&sortOrder=ASC&filters=MIN*GE*25**BLK*GE*1

The column on the fare right Is the "Opponent FG% at the rim" meaning the % that the opponent makes close shots while the listed player is on the court.

To make this stat a more true representation of "Rim Protectors" I have cut out any player with less then 1blk per game and playing less then 25 min. The min restriction eliminated some great bench rim protectors like Biyombo but also cut out some straggling wing players.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Embiid just declared for the draft so lets just draft him :)

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Oden is healthy enough to play 30+ minutes, I give him the full MLE easily.

He's playing limited minutes, but he's been pretty darn effective in those minutes.  The guy can still play.
He hasn't been health enough to play 10 MPG. If he could play full minutes and not foul like crazy he'd be starting caliber probably.

Neither of those things is going to happen.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

great news,
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good for him and the C's. Even if we don't get him he's just more talent in the draft pool.

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Good for him and the C's. Even if we don't get him he's just more talent in the draft pool.

I agree, Embiid is the guy for me, never really believed him or Parker would stay.