Author Topic: UCLA 6'9" PG Avg 14\9\7  (Read 12753 times)

Re: UCLA 6'9" PG Avg 14\9\7
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
He is the type of PG that would work well with Avery Bradley. 

Bradley can apply the ball pressure to the other teams PG while Anderson defends the SG or SF. 

On offense, Anderson runs the offense and Bradley is the SG.

I think he would be an interesting backup for Rondo at this point.

I was just going to post the exact same thing.  If we keep AB, Anderson would pair nicely with AB.  Let Avery run after the quicker guard.  Let Anderson guard the 2 guard or even the 3 if needed.  Kind of the same idea behind drafting Smart from OkState, except Anderson is a lot bigger.

There is no way Anderson has the lateral quickness to defend 2s and 3s.  I know he has a very large wingspan of 7'3 but wings have gone up against fellow wings with that kind of wingspan and what about when teams force switches against bigs with even longer wingspans?  NBA players know how to play against extreme length so that in and of itself is not a deterrent or strength.  It's not enough to compensate for his well-below average athleticism.

It's hard to see him be able to guard PFs either because he lacks bulk (and adding it will make him even slower) and because he's so slow off the ground.  Defending the paint requires at least some pop off the ground unless you're like 7'5 with a 7'7 wingspan and even then that's not necessarily enough.

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 07:02:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
NBA players know how to play against extreme length so that in and of itself is not a deterrent or strength.

Hmm, I always wondered why they measure arm span and height, now I know it is useless and not a strength.  I should have known they were just doing it for the heck of it.  Thanks for clarifying this for me....

Were you stoned when you posted that?   That is probably one of the silliest things on this board which is a shame for the rest of the post was great analysis.

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Bradley can apply the ball pressure to the other teams PG while Anderson defends the SG or SF. 

I was just going to post the exact same thing.  If we keep AB, Anderson would pair nicely with AB.  Let Avery run after the quicker guard.  Let Anderson guard the 2 guard or even the 3 if needed.  Kind of the same idea behind drafting Smart from OkState, except Anderson is a lot bigger.

There is no way Anderson has the lateral quickness to defend 2s and 3s.  I know he has a very large wingspan of 7'3 but wings have gone up against fellow wings with that kind of wingspan and what about when teams force switches against bigs with even longer wingspans?  NBA players know how to play against extreme length so that in and of itself is not a deterrent or strength.  It's not enough to compensate for his well-below average athleticism.

It's hard to see him be able to guard PFs either because he lacks bulk (and adding it will make him even slower) and because he's so slow off the ground.  Defending the paint requires at least some pop off the ground unless you're like 7'5 with a 7'7 wingspan and even then that's not necessarily enough.

His defensive inabilities have very little to do with lateral quickness. He just doesn't follow basket defensive principles. If you watch him he stands perfectly straight up with his hands down. With proper effort/ stance he is an average SF defender in NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

His defensive inabilities have very little to do with lateral quickness. He just doesn't follow basket defensive principles. If you watch him he stands perfectly straight up with his hands down. With proper effort/ stance he is an average SF defender in NBA.

That's putting a lot of faith into effort and getting into a proper defensive stance.  Not everyone is capable of moving their feet fast enough laterally to defend against dribble penetration regardless of how perfect the technique and exquisite the effort.  Anderson shows zero flashes of quickness anywhere.  Sometimes players' lateral quickness can surprise from their overall athletic ability.  Carmelo and Pierce are two examples.   Anderson is not one of those types.  He is slow everywhere.  He could crouch down like a catcher and use his length to play way off and he still wouldn't have the lateral foot speed to face off against 2s and 3s. 

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I could see Anderson as being a 3 somewhat in the mold of a Pierce: a guy with a lot of skill who can do a lot out there, but is underestimated in the draft because he's relatively slow.

I'd be thrilled in the C's landed him with their second pick. I think this draft goes about 20 deep in guys with significant potential, so I'm optimistic about the C's getting two good players--if no major trades go down--this year.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I could see Anderson as being a 3 somewhat in the mold of a Pierce: a guy with a lot of skill who can do a lot out there, but is underestimated in the draft because he's relatively slow.

I'd be thrilled in the C's landed him with their second pick. I think this draft goes about 20 deep in guys with significant potential, so I'm optimistic about the C's getting two good players--if no major trades go down--this year.

Well if he is anything remotely like Pierce I would be thrilled, but not sure that's the right comparison.  Pierce didn't have track speed, but wasn't really ever slow though.  Pierce had great footwork, tremendous first step, and deceptive athleticism when you look back at old high light clips dunking over people. 

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I love the vision and passing ability I see from Anderson.  The other thing is that he would complement our shorter guards nicely.  Considering we have Rondo at 6'1 and Bradley at 6'2, Anderson could really help us out with his height and length.

He is also a great rebounder for his position.  I think if we take a SF like Wiggins with our 1st pick, then taking Anderson with our 2nd pick could make sense.  He would be a rotation PG/SG for us and would work well with Rondo or Bradley.  Also Anderson gives us Rondo insurance in case he does not resign in 2015.

If we draft Exum with our 1st pick, then obviously Anderson would not be a need and we'd look elsewhere, preferably a defensive BIG.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

The more I thought about it, yeah guarding 2's in the NBA seems a real stretch for Anderson.  But it is hard to tell though if he has more quickness than is shown or not.  He literally looks like he is in slow mo all the time.  I know PP was like that a bit, but Paul had the aggressive mentality, and more strength.

He def isn't a pf.  Way too slender and not strong enough.

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hedo Turkoglu.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain