Author Topic: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big  (Read 12592 times)

Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
In a wide-ranging talk with season ticket holders earlier this week, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said the team will target a rim protector in the draft, notes Baxter Holmes of The Boston Globe.

Interesting... The real question is, does this mean DA is smoke screening, trying to move up a pick or two, or possibly package for a superstar/build a team from the draft?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Other than Embiid and Willie Cauley Stein I can't think of a lot of guys who project to be good rim protectors at the next level. Unless you count Aaron Gordon as a rim protector at the 3. Maybe they will target a big man through trade in the draft.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Capela?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'm pretty sure he just said the team needed rim protection, not that he would target that need with his draft pick.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm pretty sure he just said the team needed rim protection, not that he would target that need with his draft pick.
that would make a lot more sense.  no reason to hem himself into a certain type of player when we need help everywhere

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Other than Embiid and Willie Cauley Stein I can't think of a lot of guys who project to be good rim protectors at the next level. Unless you count Aaron Gordon as a rim protector at the 3. Maybe they will target a big man through trade in the draft.

I would also add Clint Capela to the list of rim protectors in this draft. However I think he is a ways from contributing.

As others have said I think DA was saying they need a rim protector for next year not necessarily through the draft. I expect another push for Asik likely in a trade involving the nets pick and Bass or Bogans. I'm a fan of the previous stated theory that DA and his friend Morey
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sounds like to me it doesnt necessarily mean he will draft a rim protector and could trade for one (Asik).

If via draft guys who will be nba ready to protect the rim are embiid, gordon,  mcdniel, bachynski, nick johnson. Guys not ready to play but have rim protecting capabilities are capela, wcs, aj hammonds, grant

I hope myself we get gordon. And nick johnson with our 2nd pick to take over AB if not back would really boost our defense and rim protecting ability

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
One observation, I think people in this post are looking at the term "Rim Protector" to mean players who will play great defense and prevent their man from penetrating to the rim. Its my understanding that when Ainge is refers to a "Rim Protector" he is talking about a big man who is capable or rotating away from his man in the paint and preventing easy high percentage baskets. I have noted in other posts that these are typically big men with at least average mobility and standing reaches over 9'2".

Examples in current NBA: D Howard, L Sanders, Asik, KG, Duncan

Examples in the past: Russell, Hakeem, Wilt, Mutombo, Shaq, Mourning, Ostertag, Smits
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If he doesn't look into getting a rim protector through some means then he's probably not the right guy for the job.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Hey Now...Larry Sanders.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If he doesn't look into getting a rim protector through some means then he's probably not the right guy for the job.

Yeah, I mean, it's the most obvious, glaring need on our team right now.  The easiest way to improve the squad for next year would be to try to find a player who can fill that hole in the middle on defense, even if it's just a modest move for a stop-gap solution like Timofey Mozgov.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Yeah, I mean, it's the most obvious, glaring need on our team right now.  The easiest way to improve the squad for next year would be to try to find a player who can fill that hole in the middle on defense, even if it's just a modest move for a stop-gap solution like Timofey Mozgov.

I always look for the Gasols, Noahs, and Cousins when thinking centers. Mozgov is a good option as you say for a short term holdover. Either way we need someone at the 5
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Hey Now...Larry Sanders.

Danny could take a chance on him especially if the Zbucks draft Embiid.  If the Sixers draft Embiid maybe Noel could be a target, that's if Noel can play center.  Or maybe draft Vonleh if Ainge see's potential there.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
maybe he already has good indications that he can get Asik for cap relief from the Rockets now that they want to go after Melo.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
It depends on what you have to concede in a trade for a rim protector and if you can actually get one in the draft. Washington traded their 1st (#16 subject to change) for Gortat and that is looked at as a win for Phoenix even though Gortat is averaging 12 and 9.

Rim protectors are at a premium, you have to empty the cupboard for one unless they're unproven (which is why I was dumbfounded when posters here didn't like the KG and Doc for DeAndre and a 1st trade) or there's 2 on 1 team (Howard+Asik and Sanders+Embiid?).

If Asik is made available for 1 or 2 of Bass/Wallace/Humphries/Bayless/2nd round picks, he should be the target. If Houston demands an asset, you hold or move on (like what happened in December). Asik is a good player, but if you have to give up anything more than the Clippers 2015 1st, you're giving up too much value for Asik on a 1 year $15M contract in a Rockets situation that he's not going to be in past 2015.

If Sanders is made available for BKN's 2014 1st and/or LAC's 2015 1st, he should be seriously considered.

If the Celtics brass thinks they can draft one that can be better than those 2 in the near future, you draft him.