Author Topic: Raptors (39-31) at Celtics (23-47) Game #71 3/26/14  (Read 18663 times)

Re: Raptors (39-31) at Celtics (23-47) Game #71 3/26/14
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
can't believe i'm typing this. But lowry > Rondo now
Yeah.  Rondo's best days are behind him, but he can still be an effective player in this league if you surround him with superstars.  He can still pass.  He can't shoot worth a lick and his post-prime lack of explosiveness makes him incapable of scoring consistently inside... but he can still pass.

Btw... Rondo got 9 stitches.  Let's say it's a season-ending concussion and call it a year.  Rondo's intangibles are still enough to get us a few too many wins over the remaining 11 games.

+ 1.

Rondo's inability to shoot nor explode to the basket, gives him only 1 adv right now, and that is passing.  Teams are daring him to shoot while they can help guard everyone else. rondo right now is mainly getting his assist from tick tack inside passes. His inability to explode or penetrate quickly to the basket makes his passes too late to the open man for jump shots

i really don't think his explosiveness will comeback. His body has alot of mileage on it. I mean since he has comeback he haven't seen even 1 explosive play. No dunks, not blowing by guys
I have to imagine it was a lot easier attacking the basket when you had floor-spreading big like KG on the floor... he always took the opposing big out of the paint, because his entire offense revolved around mid-range jumpers.  Also didn't hurt when he had Ray Allen out there demanding attention beyond the arc... oh... and the fact that Paul Pierce was one of the most versatile and dangerous offensive weapons in the league.  Opposing teams were usually focused on Pierce.  A lot easier to penetrate inside when nobody is waiting for you there and they are more concerned with stopping the hall of fame talent you share the court with.   Sure, I understand that some of his struggles have to do with his injury recovery... but this is also what a lot of people expected in the post-Big 3 era...   Rondo's always been a weak offensive player and now he's getting all the attention.

He still passes well, though.

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Many PGs are > Rondo right now. He has a lot of work to do to reclaim his spot as an allstar. Lately he is on par with Ricky Rubio.
Great comparison... like a slightly more offensively inept Ricky Rubio.

Rondo: 37%/29%/65%
Rubio:  38%/35%/82%

Rondo per-36:  12.6 points, 10.2 assists, 5.7 rebounds, 1.5 steals
Rubio per-36:  10.3 points, 9.7 assists, 5.1 rebounds, 2.8 steals

Pretty even.  Rubio is half a decade younger.

Hide all of this from Kevin Love please!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yeah.  Rondo's best days are behind him, but he can still be an effective player in this league if you surround him with superstars.  He can still pass.  He can't shoot worth a lick and his post-prime lack of explosiveness makes him incapable of scoring consistently inside... but he can still pass.

Btw... Rondo got 9 stitches.  Let's say it's a season-ending concussion and call it a year.  Rondo's intangibles are still enough to get us a few too many wins over the remaining 11 games.

+ 1.

Rondo's inability to shoot nor explode to the basket, gives him only 1 adv right now, and that is passing.  Teams are daring him to shoot while they can help guard everyone else. rondo right now is mainly getting his assist from tick tack inside passes. His inability to explode or penetrate quickly to the basket makes his passes too late to the open man for jump shots

i really don't think his explosiveness will comeback. His body has alot of mileage on it. I mean since he has comeback he haven't seen even 1 explosive play. No dunks, not blowing by guys
I have to imagine it was a lot easier attacking the basket when you had floor-spreading big like KG on the floor... he always took the opposing big out of the paint, because his entire offense revolved around mid-range jumpers.  Also didn't hurt when he had Ray Allen out there demanding attention beyond the arc... oh... and the fact that Paul Pierce was one of the most versatile and dangerous offensive weapons in the league.  Opposing teams were usually focused on Pierce.  A lot easier to penetrate inside when nobody is waiting for you there and they are more concerned with stopping the hall of fame talent you share the court with.   Sure, I understand that some of his struggles have to do with his injury recovery... but this is also what a lot of people expected in the post-Big 3 era...   Rondo's always been a weak offensive player and now he's getting all the attention.

He still passes well, though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqwAt-uqu4

Will we ever see the above from Rondo again?   i mean if not, he just becomes a good passing pg.   Is that somebody you give out a near max contract to?

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Many PGs are > Rondo right now. He has a lot of work to do to reclaim his spot as an allstar. Lately he is on par with Ricky Rubio.

Love is going to be a Laker.  It's the 2nd worst kept secret in Hollywood behind Kevin Spacey's homosexuality.

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

+ 1.

This isn't at all true. A quarter or so of his assists are on threes, and probably close to a quarter more are from 15+ feet.

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Love is going to be a Laker.  It's the 2nd worst kept secret in Hollywood behind Kevin Spacey's homosexuality.

Not quite a given with the roster the way it's currently constructed, but a lot can change in two off-seasons.

And, FWIW, I believe that Kevin Spacey thanked his girlfriend, who was present, when he got his Oscar for American Beauty.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Every game left the starting lineup should be

pressy
bayless
Babb
Johnson
Anthony

small ball anyone???

That should give us what we need.    :D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

You need a show.

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

+ 1.

This isn't at all true. A quarter or so of his assists are on threes, and probably close to a quarter more are from 15+ feet.

Yeah but those are when he is usually in standstill waving guys around screens to get open. Or driving in a few steps before handing the ball off to Bass or someone.
I'm talking about penetrating quickly, collapsing the defense and feeding guys open threes.   He used to be able to do this with Allen, Pierce and KG (18 ft) all around the three pt line.

Now its taking alot more effort or guys once they receive passes don't have as much time and space to shoot (passes are projectable). I mean nobody is buying Rondo's ability to shoot nor finish around the basket.  There is minimal need to collapse to try to stop him

Rondo got 15 assist tonight but the team shot at 40 percent (it's been like this ever since he has comeback). There is something not right about that.  It's not like Rondo is feeding freebees like he used to be able to before. He is working hard for his assist and expecting guys to run around multiple screens, set him i don't know how many picks.    If he got 8 assists, scored more efficiently i bet our overall shooting efficiency would be better.     The team passing also has gone down. Guys like Olynyk used to pass 2-3 a game. These days with Rondo having the ball mainly to himself, he can't utilize this skill.  If you let him and others also facilitate the offense, this opens up the floor more and causes the opposing defense to have to work harder.  Right now its all too predictable if you ask me. 

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

And, FWIW, I believe that Kevin Spacey thanked his girlfriend, who was present, when he got his Oscar for American Beauty.
Hah.  Like that means anything.  Reminds me of when people kept pointing out Ellen Page had a "boyfriend"... like it negated the many reports of her being a lesbian.  Thankfully she finally came out.   It's well known in Hollywood circles that Spacey is gay.  I'm just saying that it's the worst kept secret in Hollywood... 2nd worst kept secret is the fact that Kevin Love is going to be a Laker either this offseason via trade or in 2015 via free agency.  Dude was born to play for that team. 

Lakers trade:  2014 Top 8 pick, future picks, Kevin Spacey's "girlfriend" and a trade exception
'Sota trades:  Kevin Love

Book it.

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Every game left the starting lineup should be

pressy
bayless
Babb
Johnson
Anthony

small ball anyone???

That should give us what we need.    :D
If I was in Rondo's position... I'd probably just shut myself down.  I know it's one thing to be "competitive"... but Rondo is stuck with this team at least one more season (if we don't trade him).  Our best chance of putting some talent next to him next season is to lose as many games a possible from here on out.  Those top 4 picks are pure gold and right now we're barely hanging onto the 4th worst record.  There's not really anything to gain from winning any of these final 11 games. 

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

+ 1.

Yeah but those are when he is usually in standstill waving guys around screens to get open. Or driving in a few steps before handing the ball off to Bass or someone.
I'm talking about penetrating quickly, collapsing the defense and feeding guys open threes.   He used to be able to do this with Allen, Pierce and KG (18 ft) all around the three pt line.

Now its taking alot more effort or guys once they receive passes don't have as much time and space to shoot (passes are projectable). I mean nobody is buying Rondo's ability to shoot nor finish around the basket.  There is minimal need to collapse to try to stop him

Rondo got 15 assist tonight but the team shot at 40 percent (it's been like this ever since he has comeback). There is something not right about that.  It's not like Rondo is feeding freebees like he used to be able to before. He is working hard for his assist and expecting guys to run around multiple screens, set him i don't know how many picks.    If he got 8 assists, scored more efficiently i bet our overall shooting efficiency would be better.     The team passing also has gone down. Guys like Olynyk used to pass 2-3 a game. These days with Rondo having the ball mainly to himself, he can't utilize this skill.  If you let him and others also facilitate the offense, this opens up the floor more and causes the opposing defense to have to work harder.  Right now its all too predictable if you ask me.

On nba.com they measure the number of drives per game (from more than 20 ft from the basket to less than 10, not in transition) a player makes, Rondo's among the league leaders. He's not standing around and waiving people around most of the time. The team passing (in any measure of assists) has gone up since Rondo came back, not down. Also, the team scores much more efficiently off of Rondo's passes than they otherwise do. His passing less and shooting more would make us less efficient, not more efficient. And I guess if Rondo's still getting his assists but it's from much harder shots than before you must think we have better shooters now than we did with PP/RA/KG.

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
2nd worst kept secret is the fact that Kevin Love is going to be a Laker either this offseason via trade or in 2015 via free agency.  Dude was born to play for that team. 
I don't think K-Love is going to go to LA. The team is in a bad way.

I think K-Love is really sick of mediocrity in Minnesota and won't go to LA (even though it probably would be his 1st option otherwise) unless they show they can compete for a title ... which I don't think they can prove. Not with their roster in the state it is in. Not with Kobe coming off a career-threatening injury. Not with Pau Gasol slowing down. With minimal trade assets and cap flexibility (once K-Love signs with Kobe's $25mil extension, those two contracts wiping out almost all cap space).

The team is just in too rocky a situation.

I think LA needs to make a big upgrade somewhere before they can convince a top free agent like Melo or K-Love to join them. They just have too much ground to make up to go from where they currently are (~25 win team) to challenging for an NBA title. Too much ground for one major FA signing to make up for on his own. I think LAL will be looking at 2nd or 3rd tier free agents until they close that gap.

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

+ 1.

Physically, he's about 80%.  Mentally, maybe less.  He's not willing to push it, and I don't blame him.  We haven't seen an explosive play because he doesn't have it yet. At this level, 10% can be the difference between elite and ho-hum.  Give it time.

Also, Spacey IS gay and Rubio couldn't carry Rondo's jock if he had a spotter.