Author Topic: Who are your top 10 in the draft?  (Read 19021 times)

Re: Who are your top 10 in the draft?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The comment is based more on the perception of these players that the media paints rather than calling people racist. I think McDermott and Parker are extremely similar players. Yet Parker is painted as the next Melo or Pierce and MeDermott the next Kyle Korver. Just think McDermott's game is closer to that of Parker and the manner in which many, including the media, compares players based first and foremost on skin color, paints an unfair picture of McDermott's game.

I agree that their games are somewhat similar, and a lot of people wouldn't make that connection due to visible differences, but McDermott's also like 3 years older than Parker and wasn't nearly as highly regarded in high school, being overshadowed by Harrison Barnes.  Plus there's the stat inflation issue of playing for his dad.
I don't see them as all that similar at all beyond the broadest of strokes.

Both are scorers who are pretty good but not great facilitators.

McDermott is a shooter who can hit from anywhere on the court and is comfortable running off screens for deep catch and shoot jumpers Ray Allen style. When he's not doing that he has to post up to create offense because he's very limited off the bounce. No matter where he is on the court he can't attack the rim, instead he uses nice body control for hooks and nifty layups.

Parker is also a good post player and scorer, but he's at his best off the bounce and handling the ball. His jumper is very shaky and certainly isn't comfortable coming off screens to use it. He can post up but he's not very skilled with it yet and typically only does it when he has a mismatch.

Neither can defend a chair, McDermott is better than Parker but I chalk that up to playing 4 years in his Dad's system more than any better acumen.

TP. My thoughts exactly.

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think that it is worth it to judge everyone on their merits and ignore their race, but in doing that, you'll see that McDermott is not going to translate well.  He is too old, which is also why I don't like Cleanthony Early or Adreian Payne.  He is too slow to guard SGs and SFs, but too small to play the 4, which is also why I have concerns about Montrezel Harrell and about 95% of the players in last year's draft.

I think a big reason though is that there have been a slew of white guys who have come out of college after big seasons and then pooped the bed in the league.  Humans inherently look for patterns in things and that one sticks out like a sore thumb.  Almost all of those players have had huge flaws (mainly lack of quickness) and flamed out, so now everyone just assumes that white guys will continue to be overrated until they prove themselves otherwise.  Also I should say "American white guys" too, because anyone from the Adriatic, Italian or Spanish league often get judged fairly or even hyped up like what happened with Rubio.

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
tbh with you, beginning of the season, it would've been Parker/Wiggins/Embiid easily

but after this tourney, say if you have the first pick, how confident or nervous will you be to pick first? I mean yea I know people are saying don't look too much into one bad tourney game, but hey

Wiggins went for 4 pts - knows he is explosive, good defender, and very very athletic.
Embiid - knows he's a good rebounder, efficient scorer, and great defense, but injury problems

I say Parker is the safest pick

Outside of the top 3, who are your "safest picks"?

I always had Marcus Smart and Exum on my list of safe bets, but then Gordon is also very good

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Of guys regularly mentioned in the top 10 or so -- but not in the holy trinity at the top -- if I had to name the 3 with the lowest floor a.k.a. smallest "bust" potential, I'd probably go with:

1. Randle
2. Smart
3. Exum

Randle is a pure 4, and he'll be productive offensively and on the boards at the next level.

Smart has a shaky jumper and I haven't seen anything of Exum but highlights, yet I choose them as having the lowest "bust" potential simply because the NBA is very kind to quick, reasonably athletic, high-usage ball-handling guards who can attack the rim.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
tbh with you, beginning of the season, it would've been Parker/Wiggins/Embiid easily

but after this tourney, say if you have the first pick, how confident or nervous will you be to pick first? I mean yea I know people are saying don't look too much into one bad tourney game, but hey

Wiggins went for 4 pts - knows he is explosive, good defender, and very very athletic.
Embiid - knows he's a good rebounder, efficient scorer, and great defense, but injury problems

I always had Marcus Smart and Exum on my list of safe bets, but then Gordon is also very good

You have to remember, almost every college player is going to lose his last game.  That's what happens in single-elimination tournaments.  Furthermore, since NBA prospects are often one of their team's best players, it's likely they had a sub-par performance, which helped contribute to that loss.  You can't ignore the game, obviously, because it's a data point, but it shouldn't be treated much differently than any other data point.

If Wiggins and Parker were draft eligible last June, they'd have been the first two players taken then.  They've had very good freshman years of college -- I don't think the failure of a tournament game should really impact either.

If I were the Celtics, I'd be very excited to pick first.  Personally I'd pick Wiggins -- I think his offensive ceiling isn't much different from Parker's, and he's such a better defender.  While there is always stress about picking the wrong guy, I really wouldn't be concerned this year about the pick if I were going for one of those two.  Wiggins and Parker's floors are solid NBA-rotation players.  Will Wiggins be the best player in the draft?  I'd take the field.  Same goes with Parker, Randle, or any of them.  But will Wiggins or Parker be very useful NBA players, with star potential?  Yes.

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I think the top 10 is safe in that they should all be at least 10 year quality role players on good teams. I would add Harris, McDermott. Everyone else really depends on their mental makeup and willingness to work and and play team ball.

I would only say Wiggins and Parker are safe picks to be all stars, even though i think a bunch in this draft will get there eventually.

If I had to give anyone bust potential in the top 10, i would pick Vonleh. Based on only 1 year it is hard to tell how hard he works on his game. He has shown he can get fundamentally lost on both ends. Having said that, i would grab him at 6. The upside is there. The rebounding is there.

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I actually think that Smart & Randle are safer picks than Wiggins & Embiid.

It's just that the ceiling for Wiggins & Embiid is that much higher but I also feel there is a greater bust potential with them

I think Smart & Randle have games that will serve them well in the NBA and should lead to long productive careers. The ceilings might not be terribly high with either one of them compared to Wiggins/Embiid but I see Smart/Rande being around the NBA for a while.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What do you guys think of this plan

trade Rondo for Sac 8th and 2016 1st

trade Green for atl 1st and carroll

Draft picks
5th - Gordon
8th - Anderson
16th - Garry Harris
18th - Nick Johnson

Lineup

C- Sullinger, KO, Iverson
PF - Gordon, KO, Bass
SF- Anderson, Wallace, Chris Johnson
SG - Harris, Chris Johnson
PG - Nick Johnson, Pressey

A young team, but in a few years a dangerous team imo. High IQ, competitive, and unique since Anderson will be mainly doing the pg work at the sf spot.  A very good defensive team also with Gordon, Harris, Johnson. 

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Draft picks
5th - Gordon
8th - Anderson
16th - Garry Harris
18th - Nick Johnson

Lineup

PF - Gordon, KO, Bass

A young team, but in a few years a dangerous team imo. High IQ, competitive, and unique since Anderson will be mainly doing the pg work at the sf spot.  A very good defensive team also with Gordon, Harris, Johnson.

Not a fan.

At all.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 11:35:11 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
1. Jabari Parker
2. Andrew Wiggins
3. Joel Embiid
4. Dante Exum
5. Marcus Smart
6. Julius Randle
7. Noah Vonleh
8. Tyler Ennis
9. T.J. Warren (Why isn't he projected to go higher? Am I missing something?)
10. Jusuf Nurkic

Mine is:

1- Exum
2- Embid
3- Wiggins
4- Parker
5- Gordon
6- McDermott
7- Early
8- Ennis
9- Smart
10- Randle

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Draft picks
5th - Gordon
8th - Anderson
16th - Garry Harris
18th - Nick Johnson

Lineup

PF - Gordon, KO, Bass

Not a fan.

At all.

Why? Not a fan of anderson or gordon?

Imo both will end up as steals. Gordon is just a consistent shot away and anderson a stronger body. Both are leaders and team first players

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Draft picks
5th - Gordon
8th - Anderson
16th - Garry Harris
18th - Nick Johnson

Lineup

PF - Gordon, KO, Bass

Not a fan.

At all.

Why? Not a fan of anderson or gordon?

Imo both will end up as steals. Gordon is just a consistent shot away and anderson a stronger body. Both are leaders and team first players

You're blowing up the nucleus of this Celtics squad and replacing it with 4 rookies.  None which strike me as a franchise changer. 

The only thing you're guaranteeing here is another trip to the lottery in '15 and a step or two backwards next season and possibly beyond.

You're too wrapped up in the allure of potential with these kids.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Noticed there is a vocal minority that all have this same problem.

Most of the 30 kids that will drafted in the first round this year will either not make it in the league or be nothing more than a bench entity with little impact in the league. Unlike most drafts a larger amount have the potential to be solid rotational players or better but history has shown even in deep drafts, most players taken in the first round become league busts or inconsequential players. I don't see this year being any different.

Trying to fill the Celtics with 18-21 year olds all in the same draft and thinking that team will be successful is just one of the best plans I have ever heard of to ensure the Celtics will be in the lottery for the next 5-6 years.

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Noticed there is a vocal minority that all have this same problem.

It's pretty much part of being a big draft person - you get fixated on best-case scenarios.  And it tends to be an appealing idea because potential success always comes a lot cheaper than actual success.  It's a lot easier to get "the next Kevin Love/Carmelo/Westbrook" than the actual ones.

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Nick, FWF and Donoghus nailed it. TP's to all three of 'ya.

Although I would also add that, given the expected breakdown of the draft order that we know so far, #5 is too high for Gordon and #8 is too high for Anderson, especially if you're trading away the best player in the whole scenario that second draft pick.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:34:15 AM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.