Author Topic: Adrian Payne  (Read 2962 times)

Adrian Payne
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This kid has really impressed me this year. He has legit size and length to play PF in the NBA. He had a 40 pt game early this year, and has come up with clutch plays in the tourney. I could easily see him as a top 10 player in this years draft after all is said and done.

Any chance he is around with our Brooklyn pick this year? He would be my pick if he is still around then.

Re: Adrian Payne
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Will probably be around, due to his age (23).  Most don't see us drafting him due to our current roster depth at the power forward position.  But I'm with you, I think he will be a good pro. We would probably trade KO or Sully if we took him.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's 23, and doesn't play very good defense.  His 3-point shooting has been a revelation this year, but I'm not sure what he offers that Olynyk or Sully don't.  I think there will be better options for us at that draft slot.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I like Payne. He looks like a career backup on a good team. Back up 4s are not hard to find. We are loaded with them.

I would pass on him and go for one of the many wings slotted in the 18th pick range. We might as well go for some more upside. One nice advantage of having 2 first rounders on a bad team is that you have the luxury of swinging for the upside guys.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I like Payne. He looks like a career backup on a good team. Back up 4s are not hard to find. We are loaded with them.

I would pass on him and go for one of the many wings slotted in the 18th pick range. We might as well go for some more upside. One nice advantage of having 2 first rounders on a bad team is that you have the luxury of swinging for the upside guys.

I agree. Considering the likes of Anderson, Hairston, Staukas, Hood, and Warren, the chances are good that a decent wing will be available for that second pick.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some draft sites compare him to Big Shot Bob.  If he is half the player Robert Horry was he will be something.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He's 23, and doesn't play very good defense.  His 3-point shooting has been a revelation this year, but I'm not sure what he offers that Olynyk or Sully don't.  I think there will be better options for us at that draft slot.

Well, he is more athletic than either of them.   Seems more capable of playing good D than either of them for that reason.  All 3 have a different skill set, different strengths and weaknesses.  I fall into the trap of building a team that has a prototype at each position. In that respect, I would say that Payne is more of a prototype NBA power forward than either KO or Sully.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Well, he is more athletic than either of them.   Seems more capable of playing good D than either of them for that reason.  All 3 have a different skill set, different strengths and weaknesses.  I fall into the trap of building a team that has a prototype at each position. In that respect, I would say that Payne is more of a prototype NBA power forward than either KO or Sully.

Interesting. I would peg Sully as more of a prototype power forward. What makes up a prototypical power forward? Here are what i think makes up a prototype 4 in order:

1. Rebounding on both ends
2. Low post scoring with a respectable midrange game
3. Defends his position well
4. Passes well
5. Bonuses: ball handling, shot blocking, 3 point range.... I might be forgetting something.

Sully already is an excellent rebounder, mid range shooter, great hands, ok low post for a young guy. His passing is ok. He has 3 point range. We will see where that goes. His defense needs a lot of work.

What does Payne bring to the table that makes him more of a prototype 4?

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
He reminds me of Mareese Speights.  Similar body and perimeter oriented game.  Nice size for a PF.  Feel like with his solid athleticism and great length, he should be a better shot blocker. 

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He reminds me of Mareese Speights.  Similar body and perimeter oriented game.  Nice size for a PF.  Feel like with his solid athleticism and great length, he should be a better shot blocker.

prob a dead on comparison. The small lungs is also an issue.  I would not draft him with our 2nd first

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Will Adrian Payne be as good as Brandon Bass in the pros? Both have a slow perimeter shot, aren't that great at rebounding. Payne has 2 more inches of height. But Bass is more athletic and moves his feet better when containing penetration or on pick roll coverage. Payne is slow footed, so may never learn to be nimble on defense.

I say Payne never becomes as good as Bass, but he will do an Ok job on someone's bench. A contender should grab him in the late 20s. He shoots pretty well, and has good size for a PF.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Will Adrian Payne be as good as Brandon Bass in the pros? Both have a slow perimeter shot, aren't that great at rebounding. Payne has 2 more inches of height. But Bass is more athletic and moves his feet better when containing penetration or on pick roll coverage. Payne is slow footed, so may never learn to be nimble on defense.

I say Payne never becomes as good as Bass, but he will do an Ok job on someone's bench. A contender should grab him in the late 20s. He shoots pretty well, and has good size for a PF.

I only saw him once this season, in the tourney game vs. UConn. Wasn't all that impressed. If his shot wasn't falling, he seemed to have very little impact on the game.

I also didn't get much a sense of his athleticism. Seemed slow-footed to me. Also didn't seem to be able to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

Can't deny there's definitely a place in the NBA for guys who can shoot the three, especially big men, though.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague