Author Topic: Who are your top 10 in the draft?  (Read 19078 times)

Who are your top 10 in the draft?
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If you had to pick best player available, who are your top 10 picks, in order?

If you only have a top 5 or 7, give us those. I find the 5-12 range really tough to separate. But here I go...

1. Wiggins - young Mcgrady, elite hops & speed, nice shooter, defender
2. Embiid - back concern drops him a little, but he is the big with the best tools in the draft
3. Parker - he is a load at either forward spot with a lot of scoring tools. Good rebounder.
4. Exum - haven't seen any games, but appears to have everything going for him as a 1 or 2
5. Randle - a beast around the basket. Excellent rebounder and speed for a big
6. Vonleh - a little slow and lost at times, but nice rebounder with a lot of scoring potential
7. Ennis - i dont see why he couldn't be the next elite PG, and a George Hill at worst.
8. Gordon - great intangibles and defense, but offense is way behind a young Kirilenko type
9. Smart - has "it", physical, good defense. Is he Tyreke Evans 2.0?
10. Hood  - nice shooter, body for a wing

Re: Who are your top 10 in the draft?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
1. Embiid – as long as his back checks out to a reasonable degree, to me he’s the surest thing in the draft.  He’s an all-star, just a question of perennial or occasional
2. Wiggins – He’s a prototypical two way SG or SF with great athleticism.  If he didn’t have a tendency to vanish from games (Jeff Green Syndrome) he’d be my #1
3. Parker – I think he’ll put in the work to be a good, maybe great NBA player.  His defense is a bit suspect, but has a great, instinctive overall game and a scorers mentality.
4. Exum – The great enigma for me.  I’m super excited about the kid, but have only seen him play in 2 videos.  “In Danny We Trust” on whether he should be ranked 1 or 4 on Dante.
5. Vonleh – I’m enamored with this kid’s potential.  Great size and length, outstanding rebounder, and his quickness, agility and shooting touch have me captivated.  He’s a bit of a project though and the instincts are still in development.
6. Randle – ditto what Mr. October said.  I think Randle may have been ripped down a bit too much earlier in the year and is a solid player.

<at this point I’d start to explore trading down>

7. Smart - I like his intangibles and defense.  I think C's have to trade Rondo if they start Smart though.
8. Gordon – Smart and Gordon are two guys I haven’t been interested in at all.  I’m starting to warm up to them, but I worry about their lack of shooting (particularly Gordon)

<at this point I would LOVE to trade down.  Talk to me again around pick #15 when we’ve hopefully added another 1st plus a 2nd because the late lottery all looks the same to me.>

9. Ennis – seems to be able to lead a team effectively
10. Hood  - I’d be very happy if Hood were a Celtic after this draft, but 10 just seems too high to take him.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:28:41 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I agree with the top 9 but have to omit Hood... Early and Payton are moving up the board like lightning so I would rather fill that last spot with either of them..

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I agree with the top 9 but have to omit Hood... Early and Payton are moving up the board like lightning so I would rather fill that last spot with either of them..

Elfrid Payton is another guy I've been really intrigued by all season (I even watched a couple of ULL games on ESPN3).  I can't get a sense for what range he'll be drafted in, but if he fell to late 1st early 2nd I'd love to see the C's pick up a 3rd pick and nab him somehow.  Sounds like he might be moving much higher in the 1st anyway.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
1.) Wiggins
2.) Embiid - I'm wary of his back
3.) Parker
4.) Exum - He is for real and I would be happy if we got him
5.) Randle - I am not enamored with him but I think you have to take him
6.) Vonleh
7.) Smart
8.) Saric - although he could freefall in the draft and I'm hoping he does
9.) Aaron Gordon
10.) Jusuf Nurkic - 9'2" standing reach and great offensive skill already.  If he falls to 14-17 and we have the 18th pick, I really hope we trade up to grab him

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Looks good..... :)

Probably pretty close how it will go down.  The top three could be shuffled around in any order

I'd still like ....1#.Parker , Embiid , Wiggins

Prediction C's take Randle with 5 th selection... ;)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Saric signed a multi-year deal with a Euro team. Not sure of what the buyout is, but I expect him to fall in the draft because of this. He would be an interesting second 1st round pick in the teens.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Saric signed a multi-year deal with a Euro team. Not sure of what the buyout is, but I expect him to fall in the draft because of this. He would be an interesting second 1st round pick in the teens.

I would love him because a.) he just became a lot cheaper to get, b.) it's unlikely we'll be competitive next year anyways and 2015 is also a strong draft year and c.) he's a top 10 player from a skill/size standpoint in this draft. 

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
1. Embiid – as long as his back checks out to a reasonable degree, to me he’s the surest thing in the draft.  He’s an all-star, just a question of perennial or occasional
2. Wiggins – He’s a prototypical two way SG or SF with great athleticism.  If he didn’t have a tendency to vanish from games (Jeff Green Syndrome) he’d be my #1
3. Parker – I think he’ll put in the work to be a good, maybe great NBA player.  His defense is a bit suspect, but has a great, instinctive overall game and a scorers mentality.
4. Exum – The great enigma for me.  I’m super excited about the kid, but have only seen him play in 2 videos.  “In Danny We Trust” on whether he should be ranked 1 or 4 on Dante.
5. Vonleh – I’m enamored with this kid’s potential.  Great size and length, outstanding rebounder, and his quickness, agility and shooting touch have me captivated.  He’s a bit of a project though and the instincts are still in development.
6. Randle – ditto what Mr. October said.  I think Randle may have been ripped down a bit too much earlier in the year and is a solid player.

<at this point I’d start to explore trading down>

7. Smart - I like his intangibles and defense.  I think C's have to trade Rondo if they start Smart though.
8. Gordon – Smart and Gordon are two guys I haven’t been interested in at all.  I’m starting to warm up to them, but I worry about their lack of shooting (particularly Gordon)

<at this point I would LOVE to trade down.  Talk to me again around pick #15 when we’ve hopefully added another 1st plus a 2nd because the late lottery all looks the same to me.>

9. Ennis – seems to be able to lead a team effectively
10. Hood  - I’d be very happy if Hood were a Celtic after this draft, but 10 just seems too high to take him.

Embiid is anything but the surest thing in the draft imo. He's the most likely out of the supposed top 3-5 to bust. His injury issues are a concern. He's also relatively new to the game and his understanding of concepts might be behind other players his age. Either way, he's a project imo. I like him and I think he has the potential to be a good player but I personally wouldn't take him first overall.

I think Parker is the most "ready." I don't think he'll ever be a good defender but I think he'll be able to score at a good clip in the NBA. I wouldn't use the word "safe" but I think what you see is what you get with him. Pretty good offense, mediocre defense, some rebounding.

The one I'm most intrigued is Wiggins though. I think at worst he's a 3 and D guy. But I think he's the most talented one in the draft. Freak athlete, good looking shot, and can be a force on both ends of the court. He might not be as ready as Parker, but I think he brings more to the table than Parker does. I think he's the number one pick.

As for other prospects, I'm also high on Smart, Exum, and Vonleh.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
1. Jabari Parker
2. Andrew Wiggins
3. Joel Embiid
4. Dante Exum
5. Marcus Smart
6. Julius Randle
7. Noah Vonleh
8. Tyler Ennis
9. T.J. Warren (Why isn't he projected to go higher? Am I missing something?)
10. Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
It is interesting that no one is slotting Harris at 9 or 10. He looks like a solid 2 way shooting guard. I only put Hood ahead of him because i have a feeling Harris is going to only measure 6'2.5" in the combine. He looked small in the games i saw him play. I am looking forward to seeing more of him this weekend.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Wow, i didnt know he signed a contract. Sounds like it is for 3 years, and no idea what the buyout might be. I would select him at 18 if for some reason he slides all the way down there.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My list right now

1. Embiid - lost, indecisive but at times dominates the game on both ends of the court. Looks and plays like the dream when he is on

2. Exum -During the World vs Usa and U19 this past summer, he was better than alot of the usa players. Superb size for a pg , good passing skills and elite ability to drive and finish around the basket

3. Gordon - A bit of a tweener but unlike Parker can guard both pf/sf spots extremely well. A defensive force , who is all over the court and is an excellent team and weakside defender. High iq. Underrated offensive game and that is a consistent jump shot away from being an excellent two way player

4. Wiggins - Super athletic player that should be able to score on anybody. Has to become stronger, be more aggressive and work on driving and finishing with his left hand.  A cross between Derozan and Terence Ross

5. Parker -  Very skilled offensively , can score in many different ways, handle the ball, pass , post up. Needs to work on his defensive game and stamina in general.  Body shape is better to play the PF position,  but has sf skills. Worse case = Derrick Williams part 2 , which is not a good thing

6. Kyle Anderson - Slo mo or not, just too much skills not to go in the top 10.  He has been a walking triple double machine from the start of the year.  Amazing passing skills for a sf, can rebound, block shots, score on the drive, has a mid range game and now has a three point jump shot. His defense at the next level is a concern, but he is so long and has a high iq to make it up in other ways. 

7. Randle - A force on the inside. Excellent rebounder due to excellent boxing out skills. Has to try a little harder to score on the inside , especially vs length. Hasn't really shown much of a jump shot and needs to work on it to excel at the next level.  Lack of length is a worry.
Has a decent handle, passing skills and good bbiq.  Like a wider Antoine Walker that likes to work in the paint and not jack up threes

8. TJ Warren - A 6'8 sf scoring machine.  He knows how to score in so many different ways, it's hard to stop him.  To make up for lack of great athleticism and quickness he will work extremely hard on the court. Will be usually the first one up the court to score transition baskets, dive for balls on the defensive end, run around screens non stop until he receives a pass.  Defense at the next level is sort of a concern. Likes to steal the ball, and anticipates to steal instead of trying to stay in front of his man.

9. Tyler Ennis - Reminds me of Sam Cassel. Not that athletic or quick but once he gets a head start, can beat you to the basket. Unselfish and excellent court vision but also when the game is on the line can get you clutch baskets. Good team defender but only decent individual defender

10. Marcus Smart - Excellent defender and high end abilit to drive and finish around the basket. A bulldozer that plays with emotion. Too much though at times and can be out of control.  Turnover prone, poor shot selection. Streaky jump shooter. Imo should be a SG at the next level and let someone else run the point. Simplify things for him.

Outside looking in
Vonleh - A very good looking future nba PF. A Pure pf that has excellent size, length and good athleticism, quickness . Has underrated offensive skills. Can block shots and rebound. But has a mediocre iq, feel for the game.  Still if he can put it together, a future double double machine

KJ Mcdaniel - Super athletic/quick SF. On the same level as Wiggins if not even more explosive.  Elite shot blocker , excellent rebounder and overall defender.  Still learning to beat you offensively and has a decent looking jump shot, drive and finish and in the later part of the year was passing the ball at avg of about 3 a game.  Mediocre iq, feel for the game and shot selection concern. Reminds me of Vince Carter. (better defensively but not as good offensively)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:58:23 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
1 Andrew Wiggins
2 jabari Parker
3 Joel embiid
4 Dante exum

5 Noah vonleh
6 Marcus smart
7 Julius randle

8 dario saric
9 Gary Harris
10 Clint capela
11 jusuf nurkic
12 Rodney hood
13 Aaron Gordon
14 Tyler Ennis

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

6. Kyle Anderson - Slo mo or not, just too much skills not to go in the top 10.  He has been a walking triple double machine from the start of the year.  Amazing passing skills for a sf, can rebound, block shots, score on the drive, has a mid range game and now has a three point jump shot. His defense at the next level is a concern, but he is so long and has a high iq to make it up in other ways. 

Woah, Anderson as the 6th best prospect? That is bold. I like him. I cant help but think Boris Diaw when i have seen him play. He is crafty and can fill a box score. One could argue that a Boris Diaw is worth a number 6 pick. I wish i saw the ucla v Arizona pac 12 title game. Arizona is not shy on athletic defenders, yet Anderson carved them up. UCLA v Florida on Thursday is must watch television.

I think there is a good chance Anderson is available at number 18 though. His slow speed on defense will scare teams off. I also wonder what kind of player he is on offense off the ball. If a guy like Rondo, Irving, Paul, etc is dominating the ball, how effective will Anderson be? NBA teams love their 3 and D wings these days.

I think the 3 and D thing, and probably some advanced metrics, are holding TJ Warren back as well. I like him in the teens. There is more to being a successful wing than only being a 3 and D role player. He is so active and has an impressive nose for scoring, even when his shot isn't falling from the outside.