Author Topic: Philly is just gross!  (Read 13822 times)

Re: Philly is just gross!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I dislike Philly, I always have, back through the Wilt years and everything after that, including D. Dawkins, Toney, Dr. J, etc (back when the Garden structure actually rocked).

....however people (including me) are just p---ed at them because they are tanking better than us, shamelessly or not.

And it especially stings and is underscored in the wake of us winning an utterly meaningless game that we were supposed to lose last night against the cHeat, and will hurt us in the long run.

Every win gives us less and less ping pong balls.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »

Offline ChiefDK

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm not concerned about them - they are rebuilding wrong. There is no Lebron/Durant/Anthony Davis in this year's draft and they're not guaranteed the #1 pick anyway. They'll be terrible next year and the year after.

I think most free agents will find Boston more desirable than Philly as well. Boston at least is trying to win and building a strong culture led by Ainge/Stevens.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Philly look bad at the moment but they are going to have a really good nucleus to build around next season with M.Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, a top five and a top ten draft pick to build around long term. Plus Thaddeus Young.

They have done a really good job of positioning their team for a quick turnaround with their work over the last 12 months. The Jrue Holiday trade was fantastic. Noel and a top ten pick. Hit a home run on MCW. Excellent. And now Philly are set to get a top five pick to add to that. Real genuine talent. Prospects with lots of potential. 4 of 'em. In 12 months work. Great job.

Plus they have tons and tons of cap space.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Philly is doing it right. If we end up with the 6th or 7th seed this year Ainge made a mistake.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Philly is doing it right. If we end up with the 6th or 7th seed this year Ainge made a mistake.

Easy to say that when you don't try to watch the Sixers play, I bet.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Milwaukee is a different story IMO.  they haven't jettisoned their better players for the explicit purpose of being horrible.  That roster should be better than their record.  Not by a whole lot, but definitely better by 5-6 games based on the roster.

I agree.  Milwaukee was going to be bad regardless, but they've been hampered by injuries and making a dumb free agency bet on a guy (Mayo) whose career trajectory has been pointing toward the "try hard in contract year, steal money from a league backwater otherwise" model for years.  Unlike Philly, they seem to have legitimately tried to compete, they're just terribly managed and have had some bad luck to boot.
They also let some decent guys go for nothing- Redick, Dalambert, Dunleavy, and Monta Ellis.

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Philly is shameless, but they're going to be really good in a few years.  Next year they will look like:

MCW
X
X
Thaddeus Young
Noel

With two lottery picks and the most cap space in the league.  Their best lottery pick will get them one of Exum, Wiggins, Parker or Embiid.  I sort of wish we were that unscrupulous

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Milwaukee is a different story IMO.  they haven't jettisoned their better players for the explicit purpose of being horrible.  That roster should be better than their record.  Not by a whole lot, but definitely better by 5-6 games based on the roster.

I agree.  Milwaukee was going to be bad regardless, but they've been hampered by injuries and making a dumb free agency bet on a guy (Mayo) whose career trajectory has been pointing toward the "try hard in contract year, steal money from a league backwater otherwise" model for years.  Unlike Philly, they seem to have legitimately tried to compete, they're just terribly managed and have had some bad luck to boot.
They also let some decent guys go for nothing- Redick, Dalambert, Dunleavy, and Monta Ellis.
Reddick was a FA and they did arrange for a sign and trade with him.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I hope Philly ends up not getting a top pick and the Celtics do...not just because I like the c's ;) but because what they are doing is shameful and blatant.

Ainge just put together a roster that doesnt fit knowing that they will lose alot of games.

but, the ping pong balls decide that, not your record

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
FWIW, i hope we don't win another game this year. it's the home stretch and we got our last "meaningful" W by beating the Heat. I think Stevens should call it a wrap and sit Rondo, Hump, Bradley and Green.
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wow...this is the Tank to end all Tanks!

I thought they would have won something by now...but they haven't even got a sniff!

Disgraceful...I hope those season ticket holders at least get a free bobblehead or something!!

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm still hoping the league takes away their first pick or moves it to the end of the lottery at least as a penalty for putting this mess together.

if that doesn't come to pass (which it probably won't), then I hope Danny is right that this draft is overhyped and whomever Philly picks turns out to be an overhyped, mediocre player that helps them go nowhere. 

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Great googly moogly!   :o

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sixers-drop-26th-straight-120-023617895--nba.html

''During the game a couple of guys had long faces ... and I found myself a little bit down,'' said Carter-Williams, who had 10 assists. ''I just don't want anyone in this locker room feeling bad for themselves ... I think that's really important that we don't get down on ourselves and we just give up just because we have a certain amount of losses."

Only a couple of guys?

These guys are pathetic...I wonder if one of the NCAA teams could beat these chumps.

Florida, Arizona, Kentucky, or Louisville at the very least would not get blown out by these jokers!

They are sTANKing up the joint!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:57:51 AM by The One »

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Great googly moogly!   :o

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sixers-drop-26th-straight-120-023617895--nba.html

''During the game a couple of guys had long faces ... and I found myself a little bit down,'' said Carter-Williams, who had 10 assists. ''I just don't want anyone in this locker room feeling bad for themselves ... I think that's really important that we don't get down on ourselves and we just give up just because we have a certain amount of losses."

Only a couple of guys?

These guys are pathetic...I wonder if one of the NCAA teams could beat these chumps.

Florida, Arizona, Kentucky, or Louisville at the very least would not get blown out by these jokers!

They are sTANKing up the joint!!!
What I think would be funny or justice in some manner is forcing a team that's obviously tanking to play either the NCAA winner or the D-league winner to justify their continued existance.  if the franchise loses that game, at a minimum they lose any 1st rounders they have as a penalty for putting out a team that's an embarrassment to the league OR have the franchise contracted from the league.   
I know contraction would never happen but there should be something in place for the league to penalize teams for blatantly putting together a team designed to lose. 

Milwaukee stinks but not because they don't have decent players that would be rotation-quality on other teams.  They're issues have been due in large part to injuries and underperforming players.  Philly is just out and out trying to lose as many games as possible.  They've got 3 players that could probably make another team's roster (MCW, Noel and Young) and they got to that point by selling off what talent they had for mere second round picks and an injured has-been.  just infuriates me that this is being allowed by the league.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Yeah only a couple of guys. The rest of them are just happy to be in the NBA. They were bagging groceries a month ago. I think they have a second round pick playing in the starting lineup. Not a player drafted in the second round, just a phantom number 2 signifying a second round selection floating around the three point line.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:56:00 AM by McHales Pits »
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards