Author Topic: Still think we should try to trade for Larry Sanders...  (Read 13562 times)

Re: Still think we should try to trade for Larry Sanders...
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Pulling things back on topic, if i could have a free acquisition of the players being discussed: Sanders, Cousins, Favors... I would take Cousins.

:)

Liked everything you were discussing, andI would agree...

If a GM had the chance to get any of the 3, and didn't choose Cousins... I'm pretty sure he would be jobless for a long time lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I would be very disappointed in DA if he took a problem child like Sanders

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Pulling things back on topic, if i could have a free acquisition of the players being discussed: Sanders, Cousins, Favors... I would take Cousins.

Would you prefer snagging Sanders with a lowball offer or giving up fair value for Cousins?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Would you prefer snagging Sanders with a lowball offer or giving up fair value for Cousins?

I am really not sure. I also don't know what is a low vs fair offer with those two players. I would trust Danny Ainge's evaluation of their work ethic and potential to improve.

First we have to see where we land in the lottery. If the pick is in the top 4 I think you have to keep it. If it is in the 5-8 range we have no idea who is available for trade. From what i have read Kevin Love isn't going anywhere before next season.

I would move that pick plus filler for Cousins, as long as we got to keep Rondo. Boogie needs a leader. I don't think Sacramento makes that trade though.

Right now I am not sure i am ready to tie up $44 million with Sanders. He has had one good season out of 4. Is he really the answer at center on a contender? Is he worth wacking your cap space for the next couple years. I say take it slow, and see what else can happen during the next 2 summers.

If Milwaukee wants to straight out dump him for say Bass and the clipper 1st, you gotta make that deal. When you can steal a player you kinda have to do it. I dont think Milwaukee is holding a fire sale yet though.

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
A guy like Sanders is the reason why a team like the Bucks are in the position they are in. Tying up loads of money in a knucklehead player that takes his pay check and wipes his hands clean. At least the Celtics have assets to make themselves better. Sanders just restricts the Bucks from doing a lot at this point.

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

For me, it's got to be Sanders. I firmly believe that players who are stuck in dysfunctional franchises like the Kings or the Bucks will get a lot of their alleged issues sorted out when they're on good teams.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

For me, it's got to be Sanders. I firmly believe that players who are stuck in dysfunctional franchises like the Kings or the Bucks will get a lot of their alleged issues sorted out when they're on good teams.
The problem is, we're not a good team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Touche.

But we've got a great front office that knows exactly how to get into contention quickly, which is more than you can say about Milwaukee or SacTown.

To my mind, a good team is more than a collection of talent, it has to include the front office as well. The Knicks are a talented team, but no one would ever call them good.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

The problem is, we're not a good team.

That's the trick. Combine that with the fact that we have a young rookie coach, and that could be trouble. Right now i want to take things slow. Draft a nice high character talented player. Keep some good locker room veterans around, and wait for Danny to find the right deal. If we get lucky the Celtics will begin to have a better foundation of a winner next season.

The owners and ainge are proven, but they aren't the day to day locker room leaders.

Even as much as i would like to take on Cousins i know it is a big risk to see if he toes the line with Stevens in charge and Rondo wiggling his foot out the door.

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Because our hypothetical 18-19-20 year old male athlete will surely be more mature than our tangible 23 year old male athlete.

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A guy like Sanders is the reason why a team like the Bucks are in the position they are in. Tying up loads of money in a knucklehead player that takes his pay check and wipes his hands clean. At least the Celtics have assets to make themselves better. Sanders just restricts the Bucks from doing a lot at this point.

Part of Sanders' problem is that he has been injured.  Brandon Knight and OJ Mayo are a bigger reason for why the Bucks suck.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Because our hypothetical 18-19-20 year old male athlete will surely be more mature than our tangible 23 year old male athlete.

Sigh... You are cherry picking a bit here. Notice I wrote that they should draft a "high character talented player". Some 19 and 20 year olds are more mature, and coachable than some 23 year olds. Right?

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Sure, but we don't know anything about these guys -- is my point.

Generally speaking, I think that the 'character' thing is 97.9% fluff when it comes to evaluating professional athletes, especially from the distance of the average fan.

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

All this .^

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Sure, but we don't know anything about these guys -- is my point.

Generally speaking, I think that the 'character' thing is 97.9% fluff when it comes to evaluating professional athletes, especially from the distance of the average fan.

I have read and heard and seen a lot of good things about the attitudes and coachability of most of these young players in the top 10. But a i agree that the character thing, good or bad, is a small factor, and that only applies to some extreme examples. The vast majority of the time, talent rules. And character wise, most players just fall right in the middle.

As an extreme example i think Stevens would have an easier time controlling the locker room while coaching Embiid or Wiggins as opposed to Cousins, even though Cousins might be the best player of the 3 when we compare them years from now.

And i agree that there is a big step of removal of insight, when reading this stuff as a fan. What do we really know about Rajon Rondo's character? He is one of the most guarded guys with the media and public.

TP for the discussion. I think we are seeing eye to eye on a lot of this stuff in the end.

Any thoughts on what you would be willing to trade to land Sanders? I honestly don't know what would be a good trade for the Celtics outside of a lopsided heist.