Author Topic: Who is the perfect Point guard for this team.  (Read 5461 times)

Re: Who is the perfect Point guard for this team.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This theoretical Knicks team has a mediocre center who is not starting calibre (Asik)

You haven't seen Asik play since Dwight went down, have you? Or, alternatively, did you see many Rockets games last season? Asik is not only starting caliber, he's one of the top 3 or 4 defensive anchors in the NBA. He's also an elite rebounder. His offense holds him back from broaching Dwight/Noah/Gasol range, but after them there are few true centers who can manage to impact the wins column like Asik.

To answer the actual OP, Chris Paul is the ideal pg to lead this team.

Yes...

His overall career Per-36 minute stats (9 points, 1.1 assists, 1.6 blocks, 0.4 steals, 3.5 fouls and 2.2 turnovers) put him in direct competition with guys like Reggie Evans, Cole Aldrich, Jeff Adrian, Bismack Biyombo, Henry Sims, Samuel Dalembert and Nazr Mohammed.  Oh yeh, so does his 55% or so career free throw percentage. 

Please take my $15M cheque right now!!!!

Asik is a quite possible the most overrated and overpaid player in this entire league. He is a pure role player who is almost useless outside of his admittedly elite rebounding ability...but finding role players who dominate the boards isn't hard (I just listed 7 of them). 

There is pretty much nothing that Asik does that Bismack Biyombo or Samuel Dalembert does not.  Talent-wise he's either bad starter or a good bench player, depending on which roster he is on.  But his arrogance, selfishness convinces him that he's too good to come off the bench so in reality he's either a bad starter or a grumpy disgruntled bench player.  Neither option sounds too appealing to me.

You don't put much of a premium on defense from the center position, do you?

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This theoretical Knicks team has a mediocre center who is not starting calibre (Asik)

You haven't seen Asik play since Dwight went down, have you? Or, alternatively, did you see many Rockets games last season? Asik is not only starting caliber, he's one of the top 3 or 4 defensive anchors in the NBA. He's also an elite rebounder. His offense holds him back from broaching Dwight/Noah/Gasol range, but after them there are few true centers who can manage to impact the wins column like Asik.

To answer the actual OP, Chris Paul is the ideal pg to lead this team.

Yes...

His overall career Per-36 minute stats (9 points, 1.1 assists, 1.6 blocks, 0.4 steals, 3.5 fouls and 2.2 turnovers) put him in direct competition with guys like Reggie Evans, Cole Aldrich, Jeff Adrian, Bismack Biyombo, Henry Sims, Samuel Dalembert and Nazr Mohammed.  Oh yeh, so does his 55% or so career free throw percentage. 

Please take my $15M cheque right now!!!!

Asik is a quite possible the most overrated and overpaid player in this entire league. He is a pure role player who is almost useless outside of his admittedly elite rebounding ability...but finding role players who dominate the boards isn't hard (I just listed 7 of them). 

There is pretty much nothing that Asik does that Bismack Biyombo or Samuel Dalembert does not.  Talent-wise he's either bad starter or a good bench player, depending on which roster he is on.  But his arrogance, selfishness convinces him that he's too good to come off the bench so in reality he's either a bad starter or a grumpy disgruntled bench player.  Neither option sounds too appealing to me.

You don't put much of a premium on defense from the center position, do you?

He just doesn't like Asik. In case you haven't noticed.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This team can have Steve Blake or Kirk Hinrich as it's PG and it would be a contender.

Can shoot, play defense and is fine not getting a ton of touches.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'd say Mike Conley Jr. Can handle the ball, but doesn't demand it. Good spot up three point shot. Great toughness and defense. Great leadership. In his prime and on an affordable contract.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd put 40 year old Steve Nash on that team -- the guy can still shoot, after all.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tim Hardaway Jr. is "borderline starter calibre," while Asik isn't. Probably the funniest thing I've read since the thread about how Boston still had a chance to make the playoffs over the Nets a few weeks ago.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
if you got a pass 1st guy point guard who gets 15+ assist every game
you need a low post scoring center paired with a rebounding power forward

d-will and lopez
d.howard needs a pg like williams or cp3
put in pau gasol and rondo tandem, that would be great too

thats my opinion

and a guy who shoots more and attacks the basket, rose irving lillard westbrook carter-williams,
you need a pick-roll offense and defense center who is a great rebounder

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tim Hardaway Jr. is "borderline starter calibre," while Asik isn't. Probably the funniest thing I've read since the thread about how Boston still had a chance to make the playoffs over the Nets a few weeks ago.

Yeah they picked the wrong week to dump on Asik too.  11.6 pts, 17.6 reb, 1.6 blk on 58% shooting this month.