Author Topic: 2014 Patriots Football  (Read 48598 times)

Re: 2014 Patriots Football
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Prepare for the onslaught of "Belichick outsmarted himself with the Mankins trade" stories.

Makins got carted off with a knee injury in his first game with Tampa, how did he lose this trade?

They are not using Wright at all. Even though he's not a blocking TE he can be an excellent WR ahead of Amendola, Dobson, and probably LaFell (minus last night). I guess he just needs time to gel with Brady. They also got a 4th rounder
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
And this is what happens when you don't blow up teams that need it. Imagine how it would have looked with Clowney or Mack and Jones rushing the passer? Maybe a top lineman? Should have blown it up two years ago. Imagine coming off a Super Bowl loss what you could have gotten for Brady? I like Jimmy G but this should have been done two years ago. Bob Kraft needs to tell Bill to do the right thing and blow it up. Why are they keeping a young WR like Dobson or Thompkins inactive over guys like LaFell and Amendola anyways? Both of those guys are washed up. Time to go with much needed youth!

Brady hopefully can still get a 4th or 5th rounder from some desperate team and Edleman has some value. Same with Wilfork. Revis could probably get some picks back too.

BLOW IT UP!!!

Glad to see your ridiculous POV's aren't just with the Celtics...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Move on to the next game.

Unfortunately, this is what people have been saying after nearly every game this season. Two losses and a pathetic performance in a win over Oakland (which would've been a loss if not for a late Oakland penalty). Only one game in which the Pats looked halfway decent—and I think that game might've turned out much differently had the Vikings had Peterson.

Yes, the front office failed by not spending money to get Brady some serious weapons. Yes, the offensive line is a shambles. Yes, Brady has fewer reliable weapons than usual. And yes, McDaniels is inspiring no confidence with his playcalling.

Despite all this, though, I still think we're witnessing the death of Tom Brady (the player, of course).

According to the NFL, a "deep" pass is any pass that travels at least 15 yards in the air. Before last night's game, Brady was a miserable 3 for 21 on such attempts this season, and he fared no better against the Chiefs. But that's okay, right? Because Brady's long been a master of the short pass, throwing strikes on crossing routes and consistently hitting guys in the flat. Well, he doesn't seem to be doing that too well anymore, either.

In fact, he seems to not even want to throw any pass to anyone besides Edelman—not even much to Gronk. And when he does throw, he often looks ... off. It's hard to explain, but he just looks like he's lost a lot. His accuracy's off, he's got no zip on his throws. He just looks cooked.

I know he has several young receivers, such as Dobson and Thompkins, but Belichick's not even playing those two, so how are they going to learn and improve? And what about Amendola? He's not a newbie, and he's healthy for once, so Brady really should take advantage of his availability while he has it.

On the plus side, LaFell looked pretty darn good on that touchdown reception and ended up with more than 100 yards receiving, so maybe Brady is developing something good there.

But is that enough? He's 37—old in football years—and he looks it. I'm not saying he should be benched or that Garoppolo should be starting, but I am saying that a) the Patriots offense has gotten increasingly worse in each of the last several seasons; b) this is the second consecutive season that Brady hasn't looked good; c) the Patriots offense has been a joke the last couple of postseasons in particular; d) Patriots fans will not be happy with something like a 9-7 season and a first-round playoff exit for a team led by Brady, which is (at best) where this team is headed; and e) Drew Bledsoe didn't have a chance to grow old before getting replaced by a young buck, and look at how good that turned out for New England. Sure, Garoppolo played in garbage time, but the Chiefs defense was still trying pretty hard, and Garoppolo was throwing strong, accurate passes without hesitation. The team looked energized, and it's been quite a while since it looked like that with Brady on the field.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
And this is what happens when you don't blow up teams that need it. Imagine how it would have looked with Clowney or Mack and Jones rushing the passer? Maybe a top lineman? Should have blown it up two years ago. Imagine coming off a Super Bowl loss what you could have gotten for Brady? I like Jimmy G but this should have been done two years ago. Bob Kraft needs to tell Bill to do the right thing and blow it up. Why are they keeping a young WR like Dobson or Thompkins inactive over guys like LaFell and Amendola anyways? Both of those guys are washed up. Time to go with much needed youth!

Brady hopefully can still get a 4th or 5th rounder from some desperate team and Edleman has some value. Same with Wilfork. Revis could probably get some picks back too.

BLOW IT UP!!!

Glad to see your ridiculous POV's aren't just with the Celtics...
TP  - thought the same exact thing

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Breaking: Brady Honors Preseason Evaluation, To Retire Wednesday AM.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

BLOW IT UP!!!
The complete lack of understanding of the game of football or even the current state of the Patriots in this post is unbelievable.

« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
A lot of dumb stuff here.
People who blame Brady don't understand football.

« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Speaking for myself, I blame plenty of things besides Brady, but I also see Brady as being partially at fault. Has he looked good to you? And I'm not talking about his stats, or how he's been hurt by inferior receivers; I mean Brady himself, his accuracy, the strength of his passes. To me, he just seems off, and it's not an issue of mechanics; I really think he's slowing down, considerably, before our very eyes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Speaking for myself, I blame plenty of things besides Brady, but I also see Brady as being partially at fault. Has he looked good to you? And I'm not talking about his stats, or how he's been hurt by inferior receivers; I mean Brady himself, his accuracy, the strength of his passes. To me, he just seems off, and it's not an issue of mechanics; I really think he's slowing down, considerably, before our very eyes.
What I see is a guy with little to no protection and with receivers who are not getting open or doing their defensive reads properly. What I see is double coverage almost exclusively on Gronk and teams dropping back 7 because they know their front 4 can get plenty of pass rush on the QB. What I see is a QB that is routinely throwing the ball into the ground, into the stands, and as far away from defensive coverage in only places his receivers could make a miracle catch because no one is open and he doesn't want to throw a pick. And I see some slight degradation of his skills.

I am far less worried about the loss of skill from Brady as I am the inability for receivers to make hot reads, for receivers to shake contact at the line of scrimmage, for receivers to get separation once off the line of scrimmage and the inability for the offensive line to not only protect the QB and keep him upright but also to give him time in the pocket to go through his reads and find the open option.

Fix those other things and I think Tom Brady goes back to being Tom Brady.

« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Haven't read this thread since last night's game but here are my thoughts.
1. Brady looks shellshocked, even when he does have good protection, he's anticipating getting hit and it is hurting his accuracy.

2. I thought except for a few mistakes the line was actually better this game (Hali was offsides on the strip sack). Considering the only difference between this year's line and last year's is a rapidly declining Mankins and the line coach. If the O line doesn't show improvement DeGuilermo (sp?) needs to go.

3. McDaniels is not a good offensive co ordinator. It is obvious to everyone except him that they need to run the ball in order to get Brady the time he needs, yet they came out in the shotgun throwing the ball early. After watching the whole game I counted one creative play call (the fake jet sweep and the slip to Vereen for like 30 yards), they need to run the ball in creative ways, use screens to move the ball and throw the ball mostly off play action.

4. Why were our corners giving the Chiefs a ten yard cushion at all times? Alex Smith has a noodle arm and their receivers aren't that good. Next week if they aren't using Revis and Browner to beat the hell out of receivers at the line then I won't know what to do.

5. Without Silenga (sp?) the run defense is bad, the solution should be to man up the receivers with our big corners then blitz early and often.

6. Did Dobson, and Thompkins really get much worse this offseason? I don't think so, to me it's 40% offensive line, 40% play calling and 20% Brady not being able to produce when he does get protected because he's terrified of getting hit
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Have we added Mark Sanchez yet?

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Have we added Mark Sanchez yet?

Can you imagine the collaboration Uggs ad between Mark Sanchez and Tom Brady?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Haven't read this thread since last night's game but here are my thoughts.
1. Brady looks shellshocked, even when he does have good protection, he's anticipating getting hit and it is hurting his accuracy.

2. I thought except for a few mistakes the line was actually better this game (Hali was offsides on the strip sack). Considering the only difference between this year's line and last year's is a rapidly declining Mankins and the line coach. If the O line doesn't show improvement DeGuilermo (sp?) needs to go.

3. McDaniels is not a good offensive co ordinator. It is obvious to everyone except him that they need to run the ball in order to get Brady the time he needs, yet they came out in the shotgun throwing the ball early. After watching the whole game I counted one creative play call (the fake jet sweep and the slip to Vereen for like 30 yards), they need to run the ball in creative ways, use screens to move the ball and throw the ball mostly off play action.

4. Why were our corners giving the Chiefs a ten yard cushion at all times? Alex Smith has a noodle arm and their receivers aren't that good. Next week if they aren't using Revis and Browner to beat the hell out of receivers at the line then I won't know what to do.

5. Without Silenga (sp?) the run defense is bad, the solution should be to man up the receivers with our big corners then blitz early and often.

6. Did Dobson, and Thompkins really get much worse this offseason? I don't think so, to me it's 40% offensive line, 40% play calling and 20% Brady not being able to produce when he does get protected because he's terrified of getting hit

Yes, I think you are right on with a lot here.
McDaniels is someone I've been annoyed with ever since he got here. I don't get him and his game plans. Pats just need to simplify things and go with more run. Same last year (they didn't run much until 2nd half of year, IIRC).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Don't you get the impression that, when you watch the Pats play, their personality resembles their press conferences? When speaking with the the media, the players make sure to never show emotion, never deviate from the company line. On the field, the offense is sluggish and methodical. the defense is always hanging back, not willing to ever get out of position to attack on a play, lest they get blamed for missing a big play down the field. They look timid, afraid to make mistakes, afraid to be extroverted. It's basically the opposite of the mentality of the Seahawks, Niners, Ravens, Steelers, or even the Jets team that toppled the Patriots a few years ago.
Belichick inherited a team from Bill Parcells and Pete Carroll that had defensive players who knew how to react. Belichick knew how to arrange those pieces on the field, and the players did the rest, and they made him look great. But now, Belichick has drafted these "coachable" players, and these young guys fear their coach in a way the veterans didn't, and they seem to be trained to play cautiously. And you can't win in this league doing that.

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »

• Satch Sanders

What I see is a guy with little to no protection and with receivers who are not getting open or doing their defensive reads properly. What I see is double coverage almost exclusively on Gronk and teams dropping back 7 because they know their front 4 can get plenty of pass rush on the QB. What I see is a QB that is routinely throwing the ball into the ground, into the stands, and as far away from defensive coverage in only places his receivers could make a miracle catch because no one is open and he doesn't want to throw a pick. And I see some slight degradation of his skills.

I am far less worried about the loss of skill from Brady as I am the inability for receivers to make hot reads, for receivers to shake contact at the line of scrimmage, for receivers to get separation once off the line of scrimmage and the inability for the offensive line to not only protect the QB and keep him upright but also to give him time in the pocket to go through his reads and find the open option.

Fix those other things and I think Tom Brady goes back to being Tom Brady.

I agree with you that all those problems are real, and that if they were fixed, we'd see much better overall performances.

I still, however, think Tom Brady is done being the Tom Brady we grew accustomed to over the past decade. I saw signs of slippage throughout last season, particularly at the end of the season, and he's done little in four games this year to prove that he could ever again be anymore than about 85% of the old Tom Brady. His woes throwing the deep ball over the past couple of seasons are well documented, and he seems to be floating a lot of his passes.

Is he still better than Garoppolo and most other quarterbacks? Internally, yes—meaning he's got the will, the drive, the football IQ. But physically? No. Garoppolo's passes last night looked like missiles compared to Brady's—and accurate missiles, at that.

I'm still hoping for the best, like every other Pats fan, but even if all those other problems were fixed, I can't see the best-case scenario being anything more than an AFC title-game loss—which ain't bad, obviously, but I think Patriot Nation is done with Super Bowl dreams for the near future.

— C.S. Lewis