Author Topic: 2014 Patriots Football  (Read 48634 times)

Re: 2014 Patriots Football
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
DeSean Jackson was cut by the Eagles. If he somehow signs with the Pats, that puts them on Denver's level.

I can see him joining Vick with the Jets, though.
Maybe I'm a horrible judge of football talent, but I feel the Pats are pretty close to Denver's level as is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Pats are apparently talking to Manziel. Wonder whether they plan to stash him behind Brady and bring him along slowly, Favre-Rodgers style. He's just 21.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The Pats are apparently talking to Manziel. Wonder whether they plan to stash him behind Brady and bring him along slowly, Favre-Rodgers style. He's just 21.

I'd be surprised if he was still there at #28 but not shocked. Bortles and Bridgewater are better according to a lot of scouts so they could go higher. I firmly believe Brady will play until he is 40. So he'd have to ride the pine for awhile....Watch Brady get injured late in the 2016 season and Manziel take us to and win a superbowl!  ;D

THE PROPHECY!!

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

They won't. They are just driving up the value of a weak QB class.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats just resigned Patrick Chung, who was cut by the Eagles last month. Interesting to see him back. Provides some nice depth, low risk (I'm assuming he signed for the minimum).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
DeSean Jackson was cut by the Eagles. If he somehow signs with the Pats, that puts them on Denver's level.

Maybe I'm a horrible judge of football talent, but I feel the Pats are pretty close to Denver's level as is.

After Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, Gronkowski and Hernandez - all of who missed more than 10 games last year, were our highest paid players. Also missing for that amount of time: Tommie Kelly and Sebastian Vollmer. The Patriots were DECIMATED by injuries last year. It is a miracle, in my mind, that they even made it to the playoffs, considering.

The article below describes the importance of Wilfork to the Pats defensive schemes...

http://grantland.com/features/bill-belichick-vince-wilfork-new-england-patriots-defense/

This defense is going to be terrifying. Whatever nonsense they say on Sports Talk Radio, this is a truly elite defensive line, and defensive back-field. The only thing that can stop the Pats D is injuries.

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

After Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, Gronkowski and Hernandez - all of who missed more than 10 games last year, were our highest paid players. Also missing for that amount of time: Tommie Kelly and Sebastian Vollmer. The Patriots were DECIMATED by injuries last year. It is a miracle, in my mind, that they even made it to the playoffs, considering.

The article below describes the importance of Wilfork to the Pats defensive schemes...

http://grantland.com/features/bill-belichick-vince-wilfork-new-england-patriots-defense/

This defense is going to be terrifying. Whatever nonsense they say on Sports Talk Radio, this is a truly elite defensive line, and defensive back-field. The only thing that can stop the Pats D is injuries.

The thing is, the Broncos were killed by injuries last season, too.  Ryan Clady and Von Miller were the biggest names, but Chris Harris, Kevin Vickerson, Rahim Moore, and Derek Wolfe were all big pieces for Denver, too, and all missed the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even with no more significant free agency moves and just a decent draft, I think the Patriots are in a good position to be top 10 on offense and top 10 on defense.  With some luck with health / injuries (on the team and for opponents), the Pats will have a really good shot.

I rather doubt that Pats are going to be consistently overwhelming on either side of the ball, though.  They've had a nice off-season, but they're not "loaded."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Even with no more significant free agency moves and just a decent draft, I think the Patriots are in a good position to be top 10 on offense and top 10 on defense.  With some luck with health / injuries (on the team and for opponents), the Pats will have a really good shot.

I rather doubt that Pats are going to be consistently overwhelming on either side of the ball, though.  They've had a nice off-season, but they're not "loaded."

For the AFC, they're top 3, IMO.  Along with Broncos & Colts.

Health will play the ultimate factor, IMO, on how far they go.  Another season like last year and it'll be the same sort of exit, if not sooner.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So Brandon Spikes wasn't having very much fun in New England.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10756726/brandon-spikes-buffalo-bills-takes-shots-new-england-patriots-twitter
Over/under on the time it takes the Bills to politely recommend that he lays off Twitter?

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hoping Aaron Dobson heals fast and has a great year.  That is key.

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
REALLY impressive first drive for Garoppolo ... that was a TD as well, cuz the ball never touched the ground. Heckuvan arm on that kid, and not shy about throwing the ball ... pinpoint accuracy on that downfield play also. Nice drive, and he's never even BEEN to an NFL game, let alone PLAYED in one ...
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Can I just say how excited I am to have Revis in red, white and blue? Well, I said it anyway, so I hope the answer is yes. ;)

I'm also extremely impressed with Garoppolo and Butler ... the rest sucked the other night, but it doesn't mean much.

It would be nice to keep G-Man and have Brady groom him for replacement as our new guy, though I expect that won't happen.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Love Vereen and Efdelman, but overall not too happy so far.  If not for the turnovers we'd be in very bad shape right now. D is not showing anything so far.   And O-line looking bad.  And...whoops -- there goes the ball.