Author Topic: 2014 Patriots Football  (Read 48589 times)

Re: 2014 Patriots Football
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
What are peoples thoughts on the young receivers and their progression for next year?

Im a little skeptical myself but would love to be persuaded.

Would be surprised if Edelman was bacl and actually think Amendola wil make a huge leap next year as along as hes healthy which clearly is not a given.

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
I have mixed feelings on the whole "loading up" issue.

I would lile to do it and it was pretfy successful in 07 (ultimately we lost but were built as a heavy superbowl contender) but then in 08 Brady gets injured and kills our chamces. Then the following year Brady is recovering and Welker gets injured.

We saw all the injuries this year and lets face it. A healthy Gronk would have changed our chances dramatically alone not to mention if we had him amd a couple of our defenders.

Maybe its not so bad staying the course and always being in the mix rather than "loading up". Football is different than other sports. Its one and done that whole any given sunday mentality. Its not a best of 7 series where generally the better team prevails.

this year we didnt see the number one seeds get knocked out but how many other times do we see it? Maybe its better to stay the course get to that afc championship and roll the dice

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I think the real bummer about this season is that we never really got to see the evolution of the twin TE offense that, on paper, was going to be the big push for the Pats this year.

And, since one of them is probably never going to play in the NFL again and the other is Aaron Hernandez, we probably won't ever see it.

Probably never play again? What do you know about Gronk that nobody else seems to know?

He'll probably be back and pats will probably add a TE.

Not breaking a story, just making an observation.

Healthy Gronk is becoming about as elusive as Peyton Manning's post-season success.

Oh -- I thought you were breaking a story.  ;)

Betting on a full season of Gronk health would be crazy; betting he'll never play again would probably be an equally foolish bet.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
What are peoples thoughts on the young receivers and their progression for next year?

Would be surprised if Edelman was bacl and actually think Amendola wil make a huge leap next year as along as hes healthy which clearly is not a given.

I have serious doubts about the receiving corps.  They have to resign Edelman. 

Dobson did seem to get better as the season progressed but I don't think he's a true starter in this league.  Thompkins dropped off the face of the earth and Boyce's contributions were rather minimal.

And Amendola is just too iffy at the moment to count as a big contributor for the '14.  It's a gamble to bank a lot on him.

They could use another vet presence out there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's interesting--I think the Patriots went to the dual TE system A) because they were playing with found money after Hernandez fell to them in the draft and B) to start putting a system in place that was less reliant on Brady's arm to cover huge distances as he continues to age; similarly to the way that the Broncos almost exclusively "dinked-and-dunked" their way up the field last season.

So then the operating thought is "all right, we can't expect Brady to throw the ball better than last year [insofar as he'll be 37 next year, rather than 36], but we can expect him to be more comfortable with his receivers and have the receivers be more comfortable in the system."

So what does he have for receivers, and how can they integrate those guys in with their newly found running game? What's going to happen with Blount? etc.

I think the real bummer about this season is that we never really got to see the evolution of the twin TE offense that, on paper, was going to be the big push for the Pats this year.

And, since one of them is probably never going to play in the NFL again and the other is Aaron Hernandez, we probably won't ever see it.

Probably never play again? What do you know about Gronk that nobody else seems to know?

Healthy Gronk is becoming about as elusive as Peyton Manning's post-season success.

Betting on a full season of Gronk health would be crazy; betting he'll never play again would probably be an equally foolish bet.

Yeah, it was a joke. But you basically have to treat Gronk as an inessential element to the team's offense at this point, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

It's interesting--I think the Patriots went to the dual TE system A) because they were playing with found money after Hernandez fell to them in the draft and B) to start putting a system in place that was less reliant on Brady's arm to cover huge distances as he continues to age; similarly to the way that the Broncos almost exclusively "dinked-and-dunked" their way up the field last season.

So then the operating thought is "all right, we can't expect Brady to throw the ball better than last year [insofar as he'll be 37 next year, rather than 36], but we can expect him to be more comfortable with his receivers and have the receivers be more comfortable in the system."

So what does he have for receivers, and how can they integrate those guys in with their newly found running game? What's going to happen with Blount? etc.

Yeah, it was a joke. But you basically have to treat Gronk as an inessential element to the team's offense at this point, right?

I don't know.  I guess I doubt that they are looking at him as inessential.  I think that when the Pats brass looks at their offense they picture Gronk returning and they hope to add an outside threat and probably another pass-catching threat at TE (to twin with Gronk and to provide insurance for when he sits).  I get your point but I have a hard time believing that they have given up on Gronk as an integral part of their offense.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Dobson did seem to get better as the season progressed but I don't think he's a true starter in this league.  Thompkins dropped off the face of the earth and Boyce's contributions were rather minimal.

And Amendola is just too iffy at the moment to count as a big contributor for the '14.  It's a gamble to bank a lot on him.

Did thompkins fall off the face of the earth or was he injured? I thought it was more of the latter.

You are a little more down than me i guess. I definitely could see Dobson as a starter. I thought he was decent as a rookie but its all about that next step.

I loved edelman but i feel like the Patriots proved their reason for not signing Welker, that the slot position can be filled fairly easily in our system. I mean Edelman was one of our corner backs a couple years ago and last year boom 100 receptions.

Weve committed to Amendola already who brings more to the table than both those 2 (agaim when healthy) and is too similar to Edelman. Id rather get a receiver with a different skill set.

People are down on Amendola but i think he will have a huge. This year wasnt evwn as bad as people make it out to be. Dont forget Edelman has been in this system for what 5 years? I think with this past year under his belt Amendola will make huge strides. If he doesnt id be shocked. If hes injured than it will no doubt have been a disaster signing

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Did thompkins fall off the face of the earth or was he injured? I thought it was more of the latter.

You are a little more down than me i guess. I definitely could see Dobson as a starter. I thought he was decent as a rookie but its all about that next step.

I loved edelman but i feel like the Patriots proved their reason for not signing Welker, that the slot position can be filled fairly easily in our system. I mean Edelman was one of our corner backs a couple years ago and last year boom 100 receptions.

Weve committed to Amendola already who brings more to the table than both those 2 (agaim when healthy) and is too similar to Edelman. Id rather get a receiver with a different skill set.

People are down on Amendola but i think he will have a huge. This year wasnt evwn as bad as people make it out to be. Dont forget Edelman has been in this system for what 5 years? I think with this past year under his belt Amendola will make huge strides. If he doesnt id be shocked. If hes injured than it will no doubt have been a disaster signing

Dink & dunk can only get you so far especially when matched up against the higher echelon defenses in the NFL (See Super Bowl XLVII).  They need an outside presence and I'm not sure the current roster has a guy that can be counted on.  Now if Gronkowski comes back healthy and they find another pass catching TE, then maybe that concern can be alleviated.  However, if not, they are going to be too one dimensional in the passing game and that will hinder them. 

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
its reported that the Pats are in contract talks with Julain Edelman.

Thoughts?

They were talking about trading or releasing Amendola and now this.

I domt get it. Edelman has about the same histrpy of injury if not worse than Amendola. He is 1 year older and Amendola is certainly the more proven player.

If you are keeping one why not Amendola? Because Edelman was healthy for 1 year?

Unless he is gomna be a bargain dont see the point. Really skeptical of what the Pats are planning on doing this offseason but hope i am surprised

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thoughts?

I domt get it. Edelman has about the same histrpy of injury if not worse than Amendola. He is 1 year older and Amendola is certainly the more proven player.

If you are keeping one why not Amendola? Because Edelman was healthy for 1 year?

Unless he is gomna be a bargain dont see the point. Really skeptical of what the Pats are planning on doing this offseason but hope i am surprised

Pats should be in contract talks with Edelman.  They'd be absolutely nuts not to and just let him walk.

In terms of career stats, sure,  Amendola is the more proven player but I'd consider Edelman the more proven person with the Pats right now.  He stayed on the field last season and seems to know the system pretty darn well as evidenced by 100+ catches last year. 

Amendola, meanwhile, has continued to prove he is an injury concern. 

I see them as being pretty comparable at this time.

I think the Pats end up resigning Edelman and give Amendola another season with the team before thinking of blowing it up.

I also think Edelman will take a bit of a hometown discount as he realizes how much of his success is due to the current system he's playing in. 

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Thoughts?

Pats should be in contract talks with Edelman.  They'd be absolutely nuts not to and just let him walk.

In terms of career stats, sure,  Amendola is the more proven player but I'd consider Edelman the more proven person with the Pats right now.  He stayed on the field last season and seems to know the system pretty darn well as evidenced by 100+ catches last year. 

Amendola, meanwhile, has continued to prove he is an injury concern. 

I see them as being pretty comparable at this time.

I think the Pats end up resigning Edelman and give Amendola another season with the team before thinking of blowing it up.

I also think Edelman will take a bit of a hometown discount as he realizes how much of his success is due to the current system he's playing in.

I'm not sure if the Patriots are "negotiating" with Edelman so much as they've provided him with a contract, probably told him to see what he might get on the open market, and to come back to Pats to see if Pats will match an open market contract.

On Amendola, yes the Pats might want to trade him, but there is absolutely no way they cut him. None. Zero, Zilch. The cap hit if they cut him is larger than if they keep him. If they cut Amendola, he takes up about $4.8M on the cap. If they keep Amendola, he takes up about $4.3M.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Pats visiting with another CB today Brandon Browner...

The Patriots are hosting free-agent cornerback Brandon Browner for a visit.

Browner, who is suspended for the first four games of the 2014 regular season after sitting out the final five games of last season for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds.

The 29-year old had a roundabout route to the NFL, originally signing with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2005 before playing multiple years in the Canadian Football League. He signed with the Seahawks in 2011 and was named to the Pro Bowl that season.

He is regarded as one of the most physical and aggressive cornerbacks in the league.

In 2013, Browner played in eight games, starting all of them and recording 19 tackles and one interception.

Not done after Revis?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Love the Revis signing, I think he takes the top cornerback spot back from Richard Sherman now that he is on a good, well run team.

I would like to see them add some offensive weapons for Brady (either a wr, te or receiving rb), a pass rusher and a safety. Then we are ready to compete with Denver.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Love the Revis signing, I think he takes the top cornerback spot back from Richard Sherman now that he is on a good, well run team.

I would like to see them add some offensive weapons for Brady (either a wr, te or receiving rb), a pass rusher and a safety. Then we are ready to compete with Denver.

They definitely still need to address their WR situation.  Lots of question marks there and, indications are, the Browns are now making a run at Edelman. 

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

They definitely still need to address their WR situation.  Lots of question marks there and, indications are, the Browns are now making a run at Edelman.

Brandon LaFell is a target. Maybe not the most exciting one, but a target none the less.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.