Author Topic: forums new look  (Read 26441 times)

Re: forums new look
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm am bed-ridden with the flu, but two quick thoughts:

1. This isn't 100% finished. Some things (like stars) will be tweaked;

2. I usually hate change as much as everyone. That said, this site runs much faster, and more bug-free, than the prior design. It's a lot more functional.  Hopefully folks get used to it.

That said, we will listen to constructive criticism.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a fan.  the new display is messed up on my screen.  requires I have a full-screen view to see everything whereas the prior format I could seen enough at 3/4 screen.  too much width to the personal info and message texts. 

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Yes, and there's a big reason I'm not a fan:  the comments now feel like a very minor component they are so spaced out.  It seems like 80+% of the space is used by pictures, signatures, and just blank space. 

To see what this could devolve into, check out Pats Fans Forum:  http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1104257-we-have-revis.html#.UyGoB_ldVrU

I hate the Patriots forum because it almost ceases to be a forum when it's taken up by mostly ads, pictures, signatures, colors, backgrounds, and unused space.  In some threads there's only a few sentences of comments before you have to click "next page".  It feels like I have to fight through the formatting just to read the comments, and I hope Celticsblog stops falling into that.  Count me amongst the users who like the old celticsblog forum feel from a years ago because there was maximum user content per page.

As an example, go to the first page of this thread.  Your eyes are naturally drawn to everything BUT the actual comments... the real content.  The font of the comments needs to be augmented, space cleaned up, and font of everything else dulled down a bit.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
thanks Roy, get rest and feel better

another note: I was a little unprepared for the launch of this - for some reason I had it in my head that it would happen tonight rather than this morning - otherwise I would have done some kind of formal announcement or something - so my bad on that - I know it was kind of sprung on you and I'm sorry about that
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hoo boy - lots of negative space here.  We'll see how it looks in 24- 48 hours but it seems like the text is overwhelmed by all the white/light gray background.

Also not a fan of moving the quote/modify off the top line - it makes the layout of the post odd and asymmetrical without any apparent advantage from the shift.

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How are we now to quote other posters posts?  I see no quote button.

The plain white screen is really harsh on the eyes, would a little color hurt.

No clear delineation between individual posts in the threads.  Looks like one big mess.

The font and layout looks amateurish.  Like some sort of cookie-cutter webpage for beginners.

I hope the functionality is improved, because otherwise, I fail to see how this is an improvement.  Sometimes the age old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really should be headed.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »

fitzhickey

No clear delineation between individual posts in the threads.  Looks like one big mess.

The font and layout looks amateurish.  Like some sort of cookie-cutter webpage for beginners.

I hope the functionality is improved, because otherwise, I fail to see how this is an improvement.  Sometimes the age old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really should be headed.
There should be a quote button at the top right of the post

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Suggestion

I wonder if you could make the header of each post a darker colour.

By Header I mean, the poster name + this part at the top of each reply =
« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:44 AM »

Just a little harder to read at the moment because all the colours are so light. The posts (and signatures) kinda bleed into one another at moment. Have to go through pages much slower to make posts out. I think a darker colour heading would make things easier.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

One thing to be clear on: it *was* broken.

But some stuff may just be a "permissions" thing, or a cache issue. For instance, I can see a "quote" button.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Guess it makes sense to have the forums match the front page in layout, but I've always been slow to like change.
this is exactly why I rarely read the front page anymore.

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »

fitzhickey

It functions considerably better for me. Easier to navigate

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Well, if by "broken" you mean the functionality of the site, I can understand that.  But the appearance was awesome.  Now, not so much.

I seriously would just walk away (as I did the front page) if it wasn't for the super awesome league IP/SO created, that I love so freakin' much.   Well the people here are awesome too, but the point remains.

I hate the front page look so much, I always feared the day would come when the forums were a mirror image.  This feels like a gut punch.

Not trying to be malicious, just telling it as I see it.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I like it, looks fresh

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Also, still not sure why I have no "quote" button.

It's. Not. There.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Also, still not sure why I have no "quote" button.

It's. Not. There.

Did you forget to log in?

It's showing up a bit too wide on my screen, and I'd agree that so much vertical space between the actual comments, and with the signatures, cuts down on the readability. A little funky from my phone, too.

But the front page issues have been improved since that was launched, so I expect a few tweaks to help here too.