Author Topic: Revis to Patriots  (Read 10575 times)

Re: Revis to Patriots
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I wonder if Wilfork backs off this stance and compromises.  I get the pride thing, but there's also the reality that even in the best case scenario for him on the FA market, he gets half of what he makes now.  So if he and the Pats could come to some sort of compromise, it really might be best for both sides. 

Another random Arrington thought: with Brandon Browner possibly coming to the Pats, Arrington arguably gets bumped down to the 5th spot on the depth chart.  While I don't love his coverage skills (minor problem for a CB...), he is fairly physical for a CB and a pretty good tackler.  Given the fact that cutting hims seems worse for the cap than keeping him, I wonder if BB will toy with the idea of moving him to safety.  He wouldn't be a classic SS, but he'd probably be more physical than Gregory, who played with McCourty much of last year.
Why not just put Browner at safety? He's considerably bigger and more physical than Arrington. Arrington is pretty much the size of Wes Welker.

True, but Browner is the better CB.  I think there's a net gain just playing him more. 

Plus there's this: http://nesn.com/2013/10/kyle-arringtons-difficult-slot-role-in-patriots-nickel-defense-is-combination-of-cornerback-safety-linebacker/

...where BB claims that Arrington essentially fills a similar role to a safety and linebacker already when he plays in the slot.  So maybe there's more room to navigate around there.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wonder if Wilfork backs off this stance and compromises.  I get the pride thing, but there's also the reality that even in the best case scenario for him on the FA market, he gets half of what he makes now.  So if he and the Pats could come to some sort of compromise, it really might be best for both sides. 

Another random Arrington thought: with Brandon Browner possibly coming to the Pats, Arrington arguably gets bumped down to the 5th spot on the depth chart.  While I don't love his coverage skills (minor problem for a CB...), he is fairly physical for a CB and a pretty good tackler.  Given the fact that cutting hims seems worse for the cap than keeping him, I wonder if BB will toy with the idea of moving him to safety.  He wouldn't be a classic SS, but he'd probably be more physical than Gregory, who played with McCourty much of last year.
Why not just put Browner at safety? He's considerably bigger and more physical than Arrington. Arrington is pretty much the size of Wes Welker.

True, but Browner is the better CB.  I think there's a net gain just playing him more. 

Plus there's this: http://nesn.com/2013/10/kyle-arringtons-difficult-slot-role-in-patriots-nickel-defense-is-combination-of-cornerback-safety-linebacker/

...where BB claims that Arrington essentially fills a similar role to a safety and linebacker already when he plays in the slot.  So maybe there's more room to navigate around there.
Well, Browner can get a lot of snaps at safety given that we just released our second starter. Did you mean "playing him more at CB"?

That's a good read, btw, thanks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Exactly...Raji just signed a deal for 4mil per...Thats literally 1/3 of what Wilfork was going to make this year...What team is going to pay him more than we were?

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Exactly...Raji just signed a deal for 4mil per...Thats literally 1/3 of what Wilfork was going to make this year...What team is going to pay him more than we were?

A team with a boatload of cap room might throw money at him in the shape of a one year deal.  After the past couple of days, I don't even know who those teams are anymore although the Raiders & Browns were up there heading into FA.   Not exactly winners these days.

The real question (unknown) here is exactly how much the Pats are asking Wilfork to renegotiate by. 

Even regardless of that, as some people here have mentioned, any restructure could be perceived as an insult to Vince.  Guy has always been a very prideful person.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I guess anywhere between his dead money and what he's getting now (so I guess in the 3.5 to 11.5 million range). I'm thinking something closer to 5-7 million.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:02 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Id think theyd be offering Vince the very low end of that range.

Hed be crazy not to take 5-7 he will not make that on the open market.

Pride is great but if Vimce realizes that he doeamt have has much value at this point around the league than he had thought than just chill out, take a step back and unless someone is going to pay him more or pay him a worthy amount more, accept the deal.

Or look like an idiot being paid pennies more, relocating your family to Celeveland and dissappearing from relevancy