Author Topic: Revis to Patriots  (Read 10601 times)

Re: Revis to Patriots
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:05 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP! Another random thought: Arrington signed a pretty hefty deal at 5-6 million a year last year and is now the 4th string corner in my book.  Should the Pats cut him, bring in someone cheaper, and use that money elsewhere?

Yes, cut him. He's terrible.

No. Cap hit from cutting him is higher than if we keep him. He gets 3.5m a year.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great news ... much rather have Revis over Talib, so I guess everyone's happy all-around, (at least I am).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Makes me wonder if Wilfork will be cut...Either that or he needs to restructure somehow.
I don't think that cutting Wilfork is even a remote possibility, regardless of whether he agrees to restructure or not.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So details on Revis' contract are out:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/03/13/darrelle-revis-contract-details-starting-to-emerge/

It seems he won't be here next season (can't imagine the team picking up an option with a $25+ million cap hit), and he can't be franchised. Oh well.

Of course, there's always the chance that they'll restructure, but I'm somehow not convinced.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Good pick up. He is the best Cb in the game . I hope we can re-sign him to a three a year deal.

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Makes me wonder if Wilfork will be cut...Either that or he needs to restructure somehow.
I don't think that cutting Wilfork is even a remote possibility, regardless of whether he agrees to restructure or not.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  36m
Vince Wilfork asked Patriots for his release, per @RapSheet. Wilfork made it clear to Patriots in recent weeks he will not restructure deal.

You were saying?  :P

No one invests that kind of money into a NT...Especially a 325lb 32 year old one coming off achilles surgery.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Well, it's Wilfork that asked for a release. I wonder whether they were planning to keep him otherwise.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He's been my favorite player for awhile, but I don't really blame him for leaving.  Patriots can be cheap Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s and he won't be able to play much longer with his frame. Hopefully we nail a replacement in the draft

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No one invests that kind of money into a NT...Especially a 325lb 32 year old one coming off achilles surgery.
It all depends on how harsh the "restructure" the Patriots had in mind for Wilfork was.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Well, it's Wilfork that asked for a release. I wonder whether they were planning to keep him otherwise.

The reason he was asking for a release is because he knew if he didnt restructure/sign an extension they would just cut him. He's getting the last word in, it's a pride thing.

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It all depends on how harsh the "restructure" the Patriots had in mind for Wilfork was.

I'm sure it was something like
"hey you know that money we were going to give you next year? Yeah, we're not giving you anything close to that. TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM. PATRIOTS WAY."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

"hey you know that money we were going to give you next year? Yeah, we're not giving you anything close to that. TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM. PATRIOTS WAY."
It seems someone is confusing "Patriots way" with "the only guaranteed money in the NFL is... guaranteed money".

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It seems someone is confusing "Patriots way" with "the only guaranteed money in the NFL is... guaranteed money".

Hahaha. The Patriots Way is a load of nonsense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I wonder if Wilfork backs off this stance and compromises.  I get the pride thing, but there's also the reality that even in the best case scenario for him on the FA market, he gets half of what he makes now.  So if he and the Pats could come to some sort of compromise, it really might be best for both sides. 

Another random Arrington thought: with Brandon Browner possibly coming to the Pats, Arrington arguably gets bumped down to the 5th spot on the depth chart.  While I don't love his coverage skills (minor problem for a CB...), he is fairly physical for a CB and a pretty good tackler.  Given the fact that cutting hims seems worse for the cap than keeping him, I wonder if BB will toy with the idea of moving him to safety.  He wouldn't be a classic SS, but he'd probably be more physical than Gregory, who played with McCourty much of last year. 

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I wonder if Wilfork backs off this stance and compromises.  I get the pride thing, but there's also the reality that even in the best case scenario for him on the FA market, he gets half of what he makes now.  So if he and the Pats could come to some sort of compromise, it really might be best for both sides. 

Another random Arrington thought: with Brandon Browner possibly coming to the Pats, Arrington arguably gets bumped down to the 5th spot on the depth chart.  While I don't love his coverage skills (minor problem for a CB...), he is fairly physical for a CB and a pretty good tackler.  Given the fact that cutting hims seems worse for the cap than keeping him, I wonder if BB will toy with the idea of moving him to safety.  He wouldn't be a classic SS, but he'd probably be more physical than Gregory, who played with McCourty much of last year.
Why not just put Browner at safety? He's considerably bigger and more physical than Arrington. Arrington is pretty much the size of Wes Welker.