Author Topic: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?  (Read 8934 times)

Re: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Can they still sign Monroe for the max with Josh Smith?

They can do whatever they want with him since they have his Bird Rights. I don't think he will require quite the max, though.

I do think they would like to get rid of Smith and would sell him off for less than he is worth. Green is a much better fit in their system. Think of it this way - it would be like they signed Green as a [free and clear] free agent last year instead of Smith. They still would have received a positive asset without giving up anything and they get a player who actually works for them.

Sully, Wallace, and a low pick for them also works since they save a little money and receive a pick in return. Wallace also expires when it is time to re-up Sullinger. If they 'demand' Bogans in return, I guess you go with it and try to match salaries another way.

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Don't think Pistons want to give up on Monroe.

Think they have already given up on Smith. Dumars is definitely having buyers remorse.

Smith will cost us less in terms of assets than Monroe. They'd love to get out from that contract.

Wallace, Bogans and a first could do it.

Rondo and Smith could attract that third star piece.

Green, Sully and picks for Melo?

Bass and a pick for Asik.

Rondo, Bradley, Melo, Smith  and Asik? Need one more shooter.

KO, Hump, Fav, Pressey, Babb , scorer with Nets pick.

Firstly I think you underestimate the the value Detroit places on Smith.  Yes, it's true he doesn't fit the role they have him in...but that does not mean they are going to give him away for nothing. 

Josh Smith is a good player who is in a bad role.  He's only on $13M a year.  Why would Detroit trade him for Wallace who is on almost as much money ($10M over about the same length) but is a horribly bad player?

Do you really think that throwing in a $5M expiring and a late 1st round pick is enough to convice Detroit to trade a good player on a so-so contract for a really bad player on a really bad contract?  I think not.

I also think you are overvaluing Asik.  If you think it would take Bass and a Pick to get Asik, then how would you get Smith for Wallace, Bogans and a pick?  Smith has FAR higher value than Asik - he's a infinitely better player and next year they are due similar money. 

I think both ideas are off.  The Pistons aren't giving up Smith for such a poor return, and there is no way I am giving up a Bass and a pick (any pick) for Asik.  Bass is better than Asik and is getting paid half as much next season. 

Seriously think people are delusional here on how good they think Asik is...he is not a starting calibre center and he refuses to come off the bench.  His value is absolutely zero.  I wouldn't even pay the MLE for him.

You're overestimating Smith (a talented player prone to bad decision making and terrible shot selection) and underestimating Asik (take a look around the league if you think he's not a starting caliber center, that's somewhat absurd).

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Can they still sign Monroe for the max with Josh Smith?

They can do whatever they want with him since they have his Bird Rights. I don't think he will require quite the max, though.

I do think they would like to get rid of Smith and would sell him off for less than he is worth. Green is a much better fit in their system. Think of it this way - it would be like they signed Green as a [free and clear] free agent last year instead of Smith. They still would have received a positive asset without giving up anything and they get a player who actually works for them.

Sully, Wallace, and a low pick for them also works since they save a little money and receive a pick in return. Wallace also expires when it is time to re-up Sullinger. If they 'demand' Bogans in return, I guess you go with it and try to match salaries another way.

Thanks for the info.

So much for them having any urgency to get rid of Smith, then.

Some combination of Gerald Wallace (Wallace has a shorter contract and lower salary, I believe?), a pick, Jeff Green, AB might be interesting...for us at least...in acquiring Smith. I see it as us gambling on him while basically taking a headache off their hands. Getting rid of Wallace is especially appetizing.

Don't think Pistons want to give up on Monroe.

Think they have already given up on Smith. Dumars is definitely having buyers remorse.

Smith will cost us less in terms of assets than Monroe. They'd love to get out from that contract.

Wallace, Bogans and a first could do it.

Rondo and Smith could attract that third star piece.

Green, Sully and picks for Melo?

Bass and a pick for Asik.

Rondo, Bradley, Melo, Smith  and Asik? Need one more shooter.

KO, Hump, Fav, Pressey, Babb , scorer with Nets pick.

Firstly I think you underestimate the the value Detroit places on Smith.  Yes, it's true he doesn't fit the role they have him in...but that does not mean they are going to give him away for nothing. 

Josh Smith is a good player who is in a bad role.  He's only on $13M a year.  Why would Detroit trade him for Wallace who is on almost as much money ($10M over about the same length) but is a horribly bad player?

Do you really think that throwing in a $5M expiring and a late 1st round pick is enough to convice Detroit to trade a good player on a so-so contract for a really bad player on a really bad contract?  I think not.

I also think you are overvaluing Asik.  If you think it would take Bass and a Pick to get Asik, then how would you get Smith for Wallace, Bogans and a pick?  Smith has FAR higher value than Asik - he's a infinitely better player and next year they are due similar money. 

I think both ideas are off.  The Pistons aren't giving up Smith for such a poor return, and there is no way I am giving up a Bass and a pick (any pick) for Asik.  Bass is better than Asik and is getting paid half as much next season. 

Seriously think people are delusional here on how good they think Asik is...he is not a starting calibre center and he refuses to come off the bench.  His value is absolutely zero.  I wouldn't even pay the MLE for him.

You're overestimating Smith (a talented player prone to bad decision making and terrible shot selection) and underestimating Asik (take a look around the league if you think he's not a starting caliber center, that's somewhat absurd).

As someone who has no horse in this race, that guy doesn't like Asik very much at all.

When I say no horse, I mean that I would not mind Asik. Bass and a late first I would consider but I'm not gonna lose sleep over the big guy.

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
First off salary wise that trade isn't going to work. Monroe is going to cash in so we will need to do a sign and trade and between him and Smith that will be at least 27 mil coming in. Green makes 9 Sully makes less than 2 and Bogans will also be a free agent needed to sign and trade and the Pistons aren't going to give him a one year 15 mil deal to make this trade work.

Second off I've always been a Smith supporter and a Smith fan. I like the high flying athletic defensive guys who get out and run the floor. I've just always been drawn to the type of player. But I just started to come around to the fact that Smith is never going to fall into his role and play to his strengths. Every time I watch him he still takes pull ups from the outside and clanks threes. He averages 16.7 a game but is terribly inefficient shooting 41% from the floor and 25% from three. Dudes 6 foot 9 and should, after all these years, be putting up better numbers closer to the basket but I just dont think he will ever learn... And its too bad, he has a world of talent and a likeable game, he just keeps trying to be something he is not and it hurts his stock.

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
................I've always been a Smith supporter and a Smith fan. I like the high flying athletic defensive guys who get out and run the floor. I've just always been drawn to the type of player. But I just started to come around to the fact that Smith is never going to fall into his role and play to his strengths. Every time I watch him he still takes pull ups from the outside and clanks threes. He averages 16.7 a game but is terribly inefficient shooting 41% from the floor and 25% from three. Dudes 6 foot 9 and should, after all these years, be putting up better numbers closer to the basket but I just dont think he will ever learn... And its too bad, he has a world of talent and a likeable game, he just keeps trying to be something he is not and it hurts his stock.

I think that if anyone can reign him in, Rondo can. If he doesn't smarten up, Rondo just won't pass him the ball. Stevens will be a positive influence too.

I'd like to buy low on him, and use him to attract our third star. Josh Smith, playing within his role would be a star.

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd like to buy low on him, and use him to attract our third star. Josh Smith, playing within his role would be a star.

I've thought this too. I'm still skeptical about Smith's ability to play within himself, even in the best of environments, but I think the potential rewards merit consideration.

Dumars will be stepping down this offseason. No clue what's going to happen in Detroit, but I'm willing to bet the new guy won't have any qualms about trading anyone on that roster (except for Drummond, perhaps). If Smith is perceived as an embarrassing vestige of the Dumars regime, perhaps there would be a buy-low opportunity.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I've thought this too. I'm still skeptical about Smith's ability to play within himself, even in the best of environments, but I think the potential rewards merit consideration.

Dumars will be stepping down this offseason. No clue what's going to happen in Detroit, but I'm willing to bet the new guy won't have any qualms about trading anyone on that roster (except for Drummond, perhaps). If Smith is perceived as an embarrassing vestige of the Dumars regime, perhaps there would be a buy-low opportunity.

Yeah and I completely agree with this as well and why I have always been so high on him and such a fan of the buy low and bring him to Boston ideas. I still think there is hope for him yet, he just hasn't been surrounded with the right situation to do so.