Author Topic: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?  (Read 8931 times)

Re: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Downside

Spacing down low is an issue, cause neither is much of a shooter, but imagine when we need a bucket down low.

Final thoughts: This frontcourt with Smith at PF and Monroe at Center is sooooo exciting. We'd be a handful for smaller teams. We need a shooting 2 and 3 for this to really work, but Rondo/Smith/Monroe is an attractive roster to join.

So thoughts guys?

I think Smith is a nice player - but, as I've said in other threads - if you are going to build around Rondo, you need to have good shooters at the other positions.

Rondo is great at passing the ball, and good at getting to the basket, and below average at outside shooting. A team where he is the centerpiece requires space in the lane for him to operate.

A team with spacing issues down low lacks the credible threat that Rondo will drive - and I think that diminishes the rest of his game. He excelled with Garnett at the elbow, Pierce and Allen beyond the arc, and Perk setting the high pick. Some form of comparable shooting from the 2,3 and 4 are necessary to maximize his effectiveness.

Sadly, Smith is a miserable three point shooter, as is Monroe.

Rondo is a great player - for the right team. But what is the point of him setting up players for great shots that they can't hit?
Rondo is shooting 0.333% from deep, which isn't that much lower than the league average. It's nor like you can just leave him open anymore.

Wow. And he is shooting them more than ever. ...if Rondo can get a reliable three point shot (better than league average) he is the best PG in the game.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no thanks.   not a fan of smith who's overpaid and Monroe is about to cash in this offseason.   we can sit tight and most likely get a big the quality of Monroe in the draft and still have cost control on Green and Sully

Josh Smith at 13 Mill is hardly overpaid or a bad contract. I would pretty much be willing to bet anything that a move back to the PF position and a uptempo style with Rondo would completely rejuvenate his career.
he's paid 4 mill per year more than Green and Monroe will be looking for something in the neighborhood of 9-10 mill per year more than Sully. I'd rather save that 13-14 mill per year to sign a real difference maker and not 2 guys that just think they are.

Where are you getting that $ from?
Smith at +4 over Green added to the + 9-10 that Monroe wants over what Sully will be making.  4 + 9-10 = 13-14.   That doesn't mean we'll have that cap room but that we'd be screwed that much further into cap hell for 2 guys that don't provide much of an improvement (if any).

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'm not saying this move is the best thing that could ever happen to us, but it's fun to think about.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Bos sends Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and Keith Bogans

Det sends Josh Smith, Greg Monroe

Why Detroit does this deal: Very simple, they get what should be a very good scoring PF in Jared Sullinger who is on rookie deal. Sully is a natural PF and has mid range game where Monroe is Center when looking at the numbers.

Jeff Green is a very athletic 3 who can knock down the 3 and get to the rim, good for atleast 15-16 ppg. They now have a better fitting roster. 

Rumor has it they already are over the J Smoove experiment, it's gone sour. Honestly i 100 percent blame them, they have done an absolutely horrible job utilizing him to the best of his abilities.

Why Boston does it: Boston now has one hell of a front court themselves. Josh Smith is a fantastic athlete can defend, when he's plugged in, he's a sawed off monster. He can get to the rim, and our man Ron Adams might be able to help him develop a real mid range shot. J Smoove also makes Rondo very happy, making us a lock to keep him in FA.

Greg Monroe is a fantastic post scorer and rebounder who still has room to grow, especially defensively. Remember how i mentioned Ron Adams, he's our defensive coach, he'll work wonders with this man. He's worked with Joakim for years!

Downside

Spacing down low is an issue, cause neither is much of a shooter, but imagine when we need a bucket down low.

Final thoughts: This frontcourt with Smith at PF and Monroe at Center is sooooo exciting. We'd be a handful for smaller teams. We need a shooting 2 and 3 for this to really work, but Rondo/Smith/Monroe is an attractive roster to join.

So thoughts guys?

The answer is Detroit wouldn't do it period.  Monroe is a true big who can play PF or C and is averaging 15 and 9 (sharing the post with Drummond and to some degree Smith) and you don't trade those players for a package like that.  I do believe that Smith is overpaid (nobody else offered him that much) but he does have value but like you said as a PF.  Green is a tweener, Sullinger is an undersized big and Bogans is nothing but filler.  I'm not sure you would get Monroe alone for that package let alone him and Smith....

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I'm not saying this move is the best thing that could ever happen to us, but it's fun to think about.

Why Detroit does this deal: Very simple, they get what should be a very good scoring PF in Jared Sullinger who is on rookie deal. Sully is a natural PF and has mid range game where Monroe is Center when looking at the numbers.

Jeff Green is a very athletic 3 who can knock down the 3 and get to the rim, good for atleast 15-16 ppg. They now have a better fitting roster. 

Rumor has it they already are over the J Smoove experiment, it's gone sour. Honestly i 100 percent blame them, they have done an absolutely horrible job utilizing him to the best of his abilities.

Why Boston does it: Boston now has one hell of a front court themselves. Josh Smith is a fantastic athlete can defend, when he's plugged in, he's a sawed off monster. He can get to the rim, and our man Ron Adams might be able to help him develop a real mid range shot. J Smoove also makes Rondo very happy, making us a lock to keep him in FA.

Greg Monroe is a fantastic post scorer and rebounder who still has room to grow, especially defensively. Remember how i mentioned Ron Adams, he's our defensive coach, he'll work wonders with this man. He's worked with Joakim for years!

Downside

So thoughts guys?

The answer is Detroit wouldn't do it period.  Monroe is a true big who can play PF or C and is averaging 15 and 9 (sharing the post with Drummond and to some degree Smith) and you don't trade those players for a package like that.  I do believe that Smith is overpaid (nobody else offered him that much) but he does have value but like you said as a PF.  Green is a tweener, Sullinger is an undersized big and Bogans is nothing but filler.  I'm not sure you would get Monroe alone for that package let alone him and Smith....
I think the author point is that we will be doing them a favor by taking Smith.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I probably would do this.

TP for the idea by the way.

I could also see Detroit doing this.

With Monroe about to hit free agency and the Pistons looking to rid themselves of Smoove's deal, I could definitely see this taking place.

Only caveat to this deal though is you'd want to be able to either extend Monroe before you make the deal or at least get some kind of assurance he'll stay with the Celts when his contract expires.

If not, then I think about this alot harder.

Also, in addition to taking Green/Sully, I'd like Detroit to also take Wallace of our hands to have more money freed up to keep Monroe.

Maybe give them a future 1st round pick to sweeten the pot, if necessary.

The other part of this though is the Celts would definitely need AT LEAST one big-time scorer to make up for Rondo/Smith's offensive inefficiencies.

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Is there any way we  can get Monroe without touching Smith?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I know I'm not the only person to say, we'd have to Sign & Trade to acquire Monroe (to the tune of..let's say $10 million per), so the trade in the OP wouldn't work. His contract expires before we could trade for him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:45 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17

Downside

So thoughts guys?

if we get Jabari  Parker or Andrew Wiggins in the draft then you have yourself a deal!  Otherwise, I'll pass.

Rondo/Bradley/Parker/Smith/Monroe

OR

Rondo/Hayward/Parker/Smith/Monroe

Or

Rondo/Hayward/Wiggins/Smith/Monroe
Rondo/Bradley/Wiggins/Smith/Monroe

All intriguing to me.  I'd much rather have Monroe and Smith then Green and Sully.  The only downside to this deal is we'd be tied up $$ wise.  Especially after signing Rondo next offseason and signing either Bradley or Hayward to a deal.  So if that team never got to the Title level then it would be 4-5 years of coming up just short 

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Putting aside the plausibility of such a trade, swapping Sullinger and Green for Smith and Monroe would make some sense for our team if the plan is to try and become reasonably competitive again before Rondo becomes a FA. 

If we get a nice wing player in the draft this summer, it could actually work out long term.  I think the potential to become Hawks 2.0 would be pretty high, however.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Putting aside the plausibility of such a trade, swapping Sullinger and Green for Smith and Monroe would make some sense for our team if the plan is to try and become reasonably competitive again before Rondo becomes a FA. 

If we get a nice wing player in the draft this summer, it could actually work out long term.  I think the potential to become Hawks 2.0 would be pretty high, however.

Agree.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I should point out, becoming Hawks 2.0 -- 45-50 wins and a first or second round exit each season -- wouldn't be such a bad thing, provided the Celtics could somehow maintain the flexibility to improve via trades or free agency when the right opportunity presents itself.

With most of the cap tied up in Rondo, Smith, and Monroe, and more money earmarked to eventually extend whoever we take with our 1st pick in the draft this summer, though, it's hard to imagine there'd be much flexibility.  Perhaps the stockpile of picks from the Clippers and Nets would enable that, however.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Hell yes, in a heartbeat.

No way Detroit does that though, they would have to be instane.  Monroe is the best player in that deal, and Josh Smith the second best. 

In return they get Green (who is far below Josh Smith's talent and only $4M cheaper) and Sullinger who right now can't even stay on the court for 30 minutes a night.

But hey, if Detroit are genuinely stupid enough to take that deal, I'm not complaining!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Don't think Pistons want to give up on Monroe.

Think they have already given up on Smith. Dumars is definitely having buyers remorse.

Smith will cost us less in terms of assets than Monroe. They'd love to get out from that contract.

Wallace, Bogans and a first could do it.

Rondo and Smith could attract that third star piece.

Green, Sully and picks for Melo?

Bass and a pick for Asik.

Rondo, Bradley, Melo, Smith  and Asik? Need one more shooter.

KO, Hump, Fav, Pressey, Babb , scorer with Nets pick.

Firstly I think you underestimate the the value Detroit places on Smith.  Yes, it's true he doesn't fit the role they have him in...but that does not mean they are going to give him away for nothing. 

Josh Smith is a good player who is in a bad role.  He's only on $13M a year.  Why would Detroit trade him for Wallace who is on almost as much money ($10M over about the same length) but is a horribly bad player?

Do you really think that throwing in a $5M expiring and a late 1st round pick is enough to convice Detroit to trade a good player on a so-so contract for a really bad player on a really bad contract?  I think not.

I also think you are overvaluing Asik.  If you think it would take Bass and a Pick to get Asik, then how would you get Smith for Wallace, Bogans and a pick?  Smith has FAR higher value than Asik - he's a infinitely better player and next year they are due similar money. 

I think both ideas are off.  The Pistons aren't giving up Smith for such a poor return, and there is no way I am giving up a Bass and a pick (any pick) for Asik.  Bass is better than Asik and is getting paid half as much next season. 

Seriously think people are delusional here on how good they think Asik is...he is not a starting calibre center and he refuses to come off the bench.  His value is absolutely zero.  I wouldn't even pay the MLE for him.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Can they still sign Monroe for the max with Josh Smith?

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »

fitzhickey

Hell yes, in a heartbeat.

No way Detroit does that though, they would have to be instane.  Monroe is the best player in that deal, and Josh Smith the second best. 

In return they get Green (who is far below Josh Smith's talent and only $4M cheaper) and Sullinger who right now can't even stay on the court for 30 minutes a night.

But hey, if Detroit are genuinely stupid enough to take that deal, I'm not complaining!!!
Hope they sign Isaiah then  ;)