Author Topic: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?  (Read 8936 times)

Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I'm not saying this move is the best thing that could ever happen to us, but it's fun to think about.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Bos sends Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and Keith Bogans

Det sends Josh Smith, Greg Monroe

Why Detroit does this deal: Very simple, they get what should be a very good scoring PF in Jared Sullinger who is on rookie deal. Sully is a natural PF and has mid range game where Monroe is Center when looking at the numbers.

Jeff Green is a very athletic 3 who can knock down the 3 and get to the rim, good for atleast 15-16 ppg. They now have a better fitting roster. 

Rumor has it they already are over the J Smoove experiment, it's gone sour. Honestly i 100 percent blame them, they have done an absolutely horrible job utilizing him to the best of his abilities.

Why Boston does it: Boston now has one hell of a front court themselves. Josh Smith is a fantastic athlete can defend, when he's plugged in, he's a sawed off monster. He can get to the rim, and our man Ron Adams might be able to help him develop a real mid range shot. J Smoove also makes Rondo very happy, making us a lock to keep him in FA.

Greg Monroe is a fantastic post scorer and rebounder who still has room to grow, especially defensively. Remember how i mentioned Ron Adams, he's our defensive coach, he'll work wonders with this man. He's worked with Joakim for years!

Downside

Spacing down low is an issue, cause neither is much of a shooter, but imagine when we need a bucket down low.

Final thoughts: This frontcourt with Smith at PF and Monroe at Center is sooooo exciting. We'd be a handful for smaller teams. We need a shooting 2 and 3 for this to really work, but Rondo/Smith/Monroe is an attractive roster to join.

So thoughts guys?

Re: Would you take Smith/Monroe off of Detroit's hands?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no thanks.   not a fan of smith who's overpaid and Monroe is about to cash in this offseason.   we can sit tight and most likely get a big the quality of Monroe in the draft and still have cost control on Green and Sully

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
no thanks.   not a fan of smith who's overpaid and Monroe is about to cash in this offseason.   we can sit tight and most likely get a big the quality of Monroe in the draft and still have cost control on Green and Sully

Josh Smith at 13 Mill is hardly overpaid or a bad contract. I would pretty much be willing to bet anything that a move back to the PF position and a uptempo style with Rondo would completely rejuvenate his career.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Final thoughts: This frontcourt with Smith at PF and Monroe at Center is sooooo exciting. We'd be a handful for smaller teams. We need a shooting 2 and 3 for this to really work, but Rondo/Smith/Monroe is an attractive roster to join.

I prefer a PF who is a good three-point shooter and a center who can play defense, so you're suggesting pretty much the opposite of what I want to put next to Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

fitzhickey

I prefer a PF who is a good three-point shooter and a center who can play defense, so you're suggesting pretty much the opposite of what I want to put next to Rondo.
Ryan Anderson/Joakhim Noah front court would be very sweet.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:32:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Don't think Pistons want to give up on Monroe.

Think they have already given up on Smith. Dumars is definitely having buyers remorse.

Smith will cost us less in terms of assets than Monroe. They'd love to get out from that contract.

Wallace, Bogans and a first could do it.

Rondo and Smith could attract that third star piece.

Green, Sully and picks for Melo?

Bass and a pick for Asik.

Rondo, Bradley, Melo, Smith  and Asik? Need one more shooter.

KO, Hump, Fav, Pressey, Babb , scorer with Nets pick.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Think they have already given up on Smith. Dumars is definitely having buyers remorse.

Smith will cost us less in terms of assets than Monroe. They'd love to get out from that contract.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

fitzhickey

TJ Warren  ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Downside

Spacing down low is an issue, cause neither is much of a shooter, but imagine when we need a bucket down low.

So thoughts guys?

I think Smith is a nice player - but, as I've said in other threads - if you are going to build around Rondo, you need to have good shooters at the other positions.

Rondo is great at passing the ball, and good at getting to the basket, and below average at outside shooting. A team where he is the centerpiece requires space in the lane for him to operate.

A team with spacing issues down low lacks the credible threat that Rondo will drive - and I think that diminishes the rest of his game. He excelled with Garnett at the elbow, Pierce and Allen beyond the arc, and Perk setting the high pick. Some form of comparable shooting from the 2,3 and 4 are necessary to maximize his effectiveness.

Sadly, Smith is a miserable three point shooter, as is Monroe.

Rondo is a great player - for the right team. But what is the point of him setting up players for great shots that they can't hit?

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

TJ Warren  ;D

Haha...like him too. I know that a draft of him and Exum might make you come up from down under. ;D

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »

fitzhickey

Downside

So thoughts guys?

I think Smith is a nice player - but, as I've said in other threads - if you are going to build around Rondo, you need to have good shooters at the other positions.

Rondo is great at passing the ball, and good at getting to the basket, and below average at outside shooting. A team where he is the centerpiece requires space in the lane for him to operate.

A team with spacing issues down low lacks the credible threat that Rondo will drive - and I think that diminishes the rest of his game. He excelled with Garnett at the elbow, Pierce and Allen beyond the arc, and Perk setting the high pick. Some form of comparable shooting from the 2,3 and 4 are necessary to maximize his effectiveness.

Sadly, Smith is a miserable three point shooter, as is Monroe.

Rondo is a great player - for the right team. But what is the point of him setting up players for great shots that they can't hit?
Rondo is shooting 0.333% from deep, which isn't that much lower than the league average. It's nor like you can just leave him open anymore.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

fitzhickey

TJ Warren  ;D

Haha...like him too. I know that a draft of him and Exum might make you come up from down under. ;D
Man I'd move to Massachusetts asap :D

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't hate the idea, but think that Wallace needs to go in the deal instead of Bogans. Green and Sullinger would be a great return for Monroe and Smith - especially since they didn't give up anything to get Smith in the first place. Anything they get for him is bonus (and Det shouldn't have buyer's remorse if they receive some kind of asset in return).

As others have discussed, I would prefer a Green for Monroe swap (assuming Monroe doesn't want a max contract), but Smith would be easily attainable (not having to give up Green) and isn't as overpaid as some think. Also, he and Rondo have a ton of chemistry.

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Josh Smith at 13 Mill is hardly overpaid or a bad contract. I would pretty much be willing to bet anything that a move back to the PF position and a uptempo style with Rondo would completely rejuvenate his career.
he's paid 4 mill per year more than Green and Monroe will be looking for something in the neighborhood of 9-10 mill per year more than Sully.  I'd rather save that 13-14 mill per year to sign a real difference maker and not 2 guys that just think they are.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

he's paid 4 mill per year more than Green and Monroe will be looking for something in the neighborhood of 9-10 mill per year more than Sully. I'd rather save that 13-14 mill per year to sign a real difference maker and not 2 guys that just think they are.

Where are you getting that $ from?