Author Topic: My idea of a contender  (Read 1618 times)

My idea of a contender
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Trade Sullinger, Humphries, Bogans, with our '14 1st round pick, the conditional 76ers pick, and one of the future Nets pick.

Trade Bass and the Clippers pick, and one of our second rounders for Asik.

Buyout Wallace and use the stretch provision to stretch his contract for 4M for the next 5 years, and don't re-sign Bayless.

Absorb Arron Affalo with our trade exception, then trade them Bradley and one of the future Nets pick.

We got a lineup of
Rondo
Affalo
Green
Love
Asik

Pressey
Chris Babb, (if he gets another contract like Chris Johnson, which Brad Stevens seems fond of, seems most likely.)
Chris Johnson
Faverani
Joel Anthony

Then we should just look for any PF or SF. Or possibly re-sign Pierce who said he'd love to come back on a low or cheap vet minimum, which I don't doubt he would take considering how indebted he is to the Celtics.

What do you guys think?

I think Love can be your go-to guy scorer, we have a rim protector who is a top 5 rebounder. Affalo can defend, score, and pass/rebound. Hes basically a bigger, less speedier version of Bradley, but at least he can shoot the 3, and is a great team player. Green can be your number 3 or at times the 2nd option.

I think Green would be a great player that can excel from outlet or fast break passes from Love, considering he is just as fast, or have a better acceleration rate than Corey Brewer does from Kevin Love's passes.

What do you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pnn4w89
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: My idea of a contender
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
not a contender, bench is too weak

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I agree no Bench help at all. Why is everybody so in love with Asik? He has no offense and he is a great defensive player but not worth giving up a first round pick for. This guy is set to make 15 million dollars next year.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
not a contender, bench is too weak

I think if we get players like that, we can get vets that are interested in winning a ring. Plus its the Celtics, so we'll definitely be able to get interested suitors that would sign for the vet minimum.

I agree no Bench help at all. Why is everybody so in love with Asik? He has no offense and he is a great defensive player but not worth giving up a first round pick for. This guy is set to make 15 million dollars next year.

Asik is a top 5 defending Center, who was top 2nd in rebounding, and anchored the defense... I wouldn't want to give him a first round pick, and we may get him for one or two second rounders considering the fact he'll be getting paid 15 million dollars, and Rockets simply cannot hold onto him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't like a single one of the moves you proposed.  also don't see anything close to a contender there.  for that matter, if the Knicks and Nets get their acts together next year and have basically healthy rosterds, that C's roster probably wouldn't win the division.

Rondo, great PG but even with his improvements in shooting and FTs, still not a go-to scorer.

Afflalo, mediocre SG.  he's better than what we have but only because our SGs aren't very good.  with a number of decent SGs projected to come into the league in the next couple of years, I think Afflalo's 'glory days' will come back down to reality.  Swap him for AB is a fine idea until you start giving away picks.

Green, he is what he is.  inconsistent mediocrity.

Love, terrific offensive player and rebounder.  really lacking on D.  too much of a 1-way player to overspend on.  That deal is better than the one we gave Minny for KG and Love is no KG.

Asik, opposite of Love.  Terrific defender and rebounder.  really, really lacking on O.   owed too much money next year and I don't want the headache of convincing him the following year that he's drastically overpaid and should sign for half of what he made the prior year.  most likely walks the following year unless we overpay and we're also out that draft pick for our troubles.

Bench is non-existant.  2 D-Leaguers, 1 guy that couldn't get off the bench and 1 guy who's only there because he's so bad he won't opt out of a minor contract because he knows he won't get that much anywhere else.

only because the East will probably only improve marginally next year would this team make the tailend of the playoffs and there's no future with so many picks shipped out.