Author Topic: Talib to Broncos  (Read 17121 times)

Re: Talib to Broncos
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Denver's trying to go for it before Peyton collapses into dust.
As should the Patriots. Brady isn't getting any younger either.

Yeah certainly frustrating to feel like the Pats are sitting on the sideline even with the money to spend.
If the Pats only have $14 million under the cap right now, I don't think that either Talib or Ware (and, indeed, Revis) are feasible moves. Especially with so many needs: Edelman needs to be resigned, Wendell needs to be resigned, we need help on both lines and perhaps at safety. It's going to be a tough offseason.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah certainly frustrating to feel like the Pats are sitting on the sideline even with the money to spend.
If the Pats only have $14 million under the cap right now, I don't think that either Talib or Ware (and, indeed, Revis) are feasible moves. Especially with so many needs: Edelman needs to be resigned, Wendell needs to be resigned, we need help on both lines and perhaps at safety. It's going to be a tough offseason.
Pats need everything.  the only spot they're reasonably set at is QB and that's only as long as Brady holds up. 

this team is a far cry from the bowl-winning teams.  the defense needs a real overhaul and Brady needs a couple of reliable players to throw to just for starters.  Offensive line underwhelms me as well.
I'm not a Pats fan so I'm fine with them dropping back to mediocrity just as the C's begin their rise from the ashes in a couple of years  ;D

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This isn't directed at you, Koz—more of just a general venting thing—but how can the Pats be in the position of not being able to afford much, when they don't really have much now?

I mean, they have a starless receiving corp, a starless secondary, pretty much a starless defense overall, a pretty good backfield but no real stud running back ... where is all the money being spent? They're pretty much capped out but the only star players they have are Brady and an oft-injured Gronk.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 02:42:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This isn't directed at you, Koz—more of just a general venting thing—but how can the Pats be in the position of not being able to afford much, when they don't really have much now?

I mean, they have a starless receiving corp, a starless secondary, pretty much a starless defense overall, a pretty good backfield but no real stud running back ... where is all the money being spent? They're pretty much capped out but the only star players they have are Brady and an oft-injured Gronk.

Wilfork is $11.6 million against the cap.  He's also really good when he's healthy (which was most of the time prior to last year.)

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I've got no idea, really. The article I read says the following:

The Patriots aren’t completely strapped for cap space — they have nearly $14.5 million to spend, according to Spotrac.com — but it’s also wise to save some room to spend during the season and carry over to 2015.

Here's a more detailed explanation from the Globe:
http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/03/patriots_have_nearly_15_million_in_cap_space_plus_options_to

I guess we're taking a hit from the Brady restructure and the fact that some portion of Hernandez's contract appears to still be on the books (we have $9 million in dead money, and $7.5 of those seem to come from Hernandez).

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

I'm not sure why you think the defense is starless, Wilfork and Mayo are pretty good when healthy. As a matter of fact, those two together with Brady and Mankins are our biggest cap hits, so...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Pats need everything.  the only spot they're reasonably set at is QB and that's only as long as Brady holds up. 

this team is a far cry from the bowl-winning teams.  the defense needs a real overhaul and Brady needs a couple of reliable players to throw to just for starters.  Offensive line underwhelms me as well.
I'm not a Pats fan so I'm fine with them dropping back to mediocrity just as the C's begin their rise from the ashes in a couple of years  ;D

And yet it would still be a shock to everyone if the Patriots didnt make the AFC Championship game.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
And yet it would still be a shock to everyone if the Patriots didnt make the AFC Championship game.
Well, outside of the Broncos and perhaps the Colts, the competition in the AFC is not exactly stiff.

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I've got no idea, really. The article I read says the following:

The Patriots aren’t completely strapped for cap space — they have nearly $14.5 million to spend, according to Spotrac.com — but it’s also wise to save some room to spend during the season and carry over to 2015.

Here's a more detailed explanation from the Globe:
http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/03/patriots_have_nearly_15_million_in_cap_space_plus_options_to

I guess we're taking a hit from the Brady restructure and the fact that some portion of Hernandez's contract appears to still be on the books (we have $9 million in dead money, and $7.5 of those seem to come from Hernandez).

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

I'm not sure why you think the defense is starless, Wilfork and Mayo are pretty good when healthy. As a matter of fact, those two together with Brady and Mankins are our biggest cap hits, so...

To be honest, I forgot about Wilfork; he's a star, for sure. And yes, Mayo is certainly a really good player, and the team missed his presence, but I don't see him (or any other current Pats defensive player) as being "that guy the opponent always has to keep their eyes on"—in other words, a Ray Lewis/Troy Polamalu type. Maybe he can get there, but I don't think he's there yet. Chandler Jones is a pretty good defensive end, but the Pats really need another DE as good as or better than Jones, to complement him.

Yeah, so the Pats need a lot. And based on the typical Pats approach, I'm guessing the team will once again be good but not great, maybe getting another first-round bye, maybe even getting to the AFC title game again, but not really threatening to win the title, thus wasting another year of Brady's window (which I see as down to about the size of an airplane window, at this point).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats top 5 cap hits right now.

1. Brady
2. Wilfork
3. Mankins
4. Hernandez
5. Mayo

Pats tend to build inside/out with QB being the obvious exception (Gronk is 6th, btw).  They also tend to break the bank more keeping their own than going out on the FA market to make flashy signings.  All 5 guys listed above were drafted by the Pats and, subsequently, resigned by the team. 

The first "skilled" position is Amendola at 7th.  Reiss pointed this out in an article yesterday;   Pats problem has never been spending, its their par to subpar ability to sign the right free agents.  They've tended to strike out a lot in the past 5-6 years.  That's been the issue.  It's not a matter of the Pats being too cheap.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Revis released by Tampa per multiple sourece on Twitter.

Now the fun begins....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Revis released by Tampa per multiple sourece on Twitter.

Now the fun begins....

No idea how reliable this guy is..."Manish Mehta" for NY Times

Member of Darrelle Revis camp chimes in on if he thinks cornerback will end up on Patriots (assuming he's cut). "It's going to happen" #nyj
3:29pm - 12 Mar 14
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we get Revis we will be set at corner...But still have holes at LB/DE/WR.

I hope we can also snag an Emmanuel Sanders or someone like him...Dont want to roll into the season with Amendola/Dobson/Thompkins as our WR core >__<

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

No idea how reliable this guy is..."Manish Mehta" for NY Times

'
Are you joking?

He writes for the NY Daily News. Big Difference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
To be honest, I forgot about Wilfork; he's a star, for sure. And yes, Mayo is certainly a really good player, and the team missed his presence, but I don't see him (or any other current Pats defensive player) as being "that guy the opponent always has to keep their eyes on"—in other words, a Ray Lewis/Troy Polamalu type. Maybe he can get there, but I don't think he's there yet. Chandler Jones is a pretty good defensive end, but the Pats really need another DE as good as or better than Jones, to complement him.

Yeah, so the Pats need a lot. And based on the typical Pats approach, I'm guessing the team will once again be good but not great, maybe getting another first-round bye, maybe even getting to the AFC title game again, but not really threatening to win the title, thus wasting another year of Brady's window (which I see as down to about the size of an airplane window, at this point).
I was pleasantly surprised with Jamie Collins towards the end of the season -- long, slippery, deceptively quick. I think he can eventually develop into that presence lurking behind the line that the opposition always needs to keep an eye open for.

I thought Ninkovic was doing a credible job at RE, but behind him and Chandler Jones, we really have no-one.

The problem is the market is rapidly running out of impact CBs, so unless we draft one (and assuming Revis will be too expensive), we're left with what, Rodgers-Cromartie? Pretty much the guy that the Broncos dumped to get Talib.

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

So - I actually had real hopes for the defense. With Wilfork, Mayo, Jones, Hightower, Tommie Kelly, Ninckovitch and Jaimie Collins - I was really hoping we could get Demarcus Ware, and run one of the best front 7s in football.

Consider: if the QB is under constant pressure, you can get by with lower quality CBs. Put McCourty in the slot and let them hail Mary!

But now, the best guys left are Peppers and Jared Allen. ...and I don't think they're worth what they will command.

I'm sure we will field a good team next year on defense - but just picture Wilfork, Hightower, Jones, Collins Mayo, Ware and Kelly/Ninkovitch. Would've been so awesome. Really disappointed, to be honest.