Author Topic: Talib to Broncos  (Read 17017 times)

Talib to Broncos
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ouch. That stings.
But broncos are paying lottery money for him given injury history.
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Talib to Broncos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
6 year/$57mill is a lot of cheese.

Hard not to be a tad jealous though as Denver recognizes their small window and really has been pushing the chips in the last couple seasons.

Heard last night they were the favorites to land Demarcus Ware too. That would make me really sad.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Word is the Pats are front-runners for Revis. We'll see.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That would be an upgrade, even for 2014 Revis.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

That would be an upgrade, even for 2014 Revis.

I was really hoping for a Talib and Revis pair  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Ouch. That stings.

yea but its 25 mil guranteed... gotta love how the nfl structures contracts... they can literally cut him after 3 years if he does not live up to contract

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My excitement is largely tempered by likely cost.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ouch. That stings.

yea but its 25 mil guranteed... gotta love how the nfl structures contracts... they can literally cut him after 3 years if he does not live up to contract

I'm 110% positive that every other sports owner, aside from maybe international soccer, goes to sleep at night jealous of the NFL's absurd power over their players.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gotta let Talib go for that cost.  That's silly money for him. 

If Pats are gonna go the Revis route (they should at least kick the tires), they might be better off by shopping a mid rounder to Tampa and biting the bullet rather than let Revis get cut and get themselves involved in a bidding war. 

It's flying under the radar but the Pats are meeting with Wesley Woodyard.  He'd be a solid fit for the LB corps.  Very good in pass coverage.  Pats LB pass coverage in '13 was pretty pitiful.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I find it odd there is so much talk about how that's overpaying.  That's the market.  I'm a Colts fan and they just payed Vontae Davis basically 10 mill a year, that's just what you have to pay a top level corner right now.  If you don't want one, okay sure, be my guest.

It's basically the NFL equivalent on everyone on this board saying every 7 footer with any talent getting 10 million per year is overpaid.  That's just the reality of the market for a certain level of play at a certain position.  Hopefully you can consistently draft young stud corner prospects or you are going to have to pay one at some point.

I think Talib is a fantastic player and would have been happy with him on that contract on my team.  It's a major loss.  Revis would obviously fill that position but guess what kind of money he will be making?

Ouch. That stings.

Yeah that's overlooked now when people criticize some contracts.  There are outs on all these contracts now if injuries or issues come up.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:23:58 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I get that the Pats don't want to deviate from the value they put on some players, but they have a very small championship window.  Brady needs talent around him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I get that the Pats don't want to deviate from the value they put on some players, but they have a very small championship window.  Brady needs talent around him.
All the press coming out of the Pats is that they're not deviating from their approach even as Brady's time as a player draws short.

Broncos clearly are taking a very different approach.

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I find it odd there is so much talk about how that's overpaying.  That's the market.  I'm a Colts fan and they just payed Vontae Davis basically 10 mill a year, that's just what you have to pay a top level corner right now.  If you don't want one, okay sure, be my guest.

It's basically the NFL equivalent on everyone on this board saying every 7 footer with any talent getting 10 million per year is overpaid.  That's just the reality of the market for a certain level of play at a certain position.  Hopefully you can consistently draft young stud corner prospects or you are going to have to pay one at some point.

I think Talib is a fantastic player and would have been happy with him on that contract on my team.  It's a major loss.  Revis would obviously fill that position but guess what kind of money he will be making?

Ouch. That stings.

Yeah that's overlooked now when people criticize some contracts.  There are outs on all these contracts now if injuries or issues come up.

Not sure, but I'm thinking that maybe the problem some people have with paying Talib that much isn't the amount of money, but the fact that he seems injury prone. If I felt reasonably sure that Talib would stay on the field all season every season, sure I'd pay him a bunch, because he's really good, but to pay that much when the guy might very well play only half the team's games (and get injured every postseason)? No, thanks.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
All the press coming out of the Pats is that they're not deviating from their approach even as Brady's time as a player draws short.

Broncos clearly are taking a very different approach.

I get that but it's pretty frustrating.

I'd rather see a FO take the leap and try and squeeze what they can out of the window.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ouch. That stings.

Not sure, but I'm thinking that maybe the problem some people have with paying Talib that much isn't the amount of money, but the fact that he seems injury prone. If I felt reasonably sure that Talib would stay on the field all season every season, sure I'd pay him a bunch, because he's really good, but to pay that much when the guy might very well play only half the team's games (and get injured every postseason)? No, thanks.

Injuries are my number one concern.  Couple that with his cap hit and those two factor in why I'm fine with the Pats letting him walk on that.

I'm interested to see exactly how the salary portion is paid out in regards to the cap hits..  I have to imagine the Broncos back loaded it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team